Honored Contributor

Re: I SURVIVED THE GREAT POWER OUTAGE OF 2019!

Floods, fires,hurricanes, tornados, have been around for centuries. Nothing new, we just have the ability to hear about these things due to the media that wasn’t available many years ago. Now we hear about every flood or fire, so it seems like more are occurring.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course disasters have been around for centuries.

The issue is that storms have become stronger and last longer in many cases.

It isn't one or the other; it's a combination; a mixed bag of natural weather happenings and changes in our climate.

I just don't like the "sky is falling" platforms that are not based in reality but used for fear and personal gain.

We can do this; but not with lip service during "certain times" which wave the flag and then just forget about all of it after.

I think we can do this; it will not be a perfect world but we CAN and we MUST diminish some of the harm in the environment.

But it should never, ever, be used to gain popularity and it should never be dialogued with misinfornation and (heaven help us) the presentation of hysterical non-facts.

All the yammering out there on "the trail"-where was everyone before this??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

My power was off for LESS than 24 hours.

It went off some time after 1a.m. (that was when I went to bed) and came back on at 11:15 p.m. last night.

I spent most of the day just sleeping, but I did take a rive around town.

Everybody obeyed the law of treating a flashing red stop light as a 4-way stop.

99% of the traffic lights were either out compleatly, or was flashing red.

A lot of businesses were closed.

Restaurants and fast food places - closed.

gas stations - closed

CVS - closed

Rite-Aide - closed

Walgreens - closed

grocery stores - closed

The one business that was doing business like gang busters was a food truck.

There was one gas station that was open, and they had a line three blocks long of people waiting to get gas!

Well, "crisis" over.

Back to life as usual.

Glad I don't live in the Bay Area anymore.  Did your PG&E bill go up after the Camp Fire in Paradise? 

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

It isn't one or the other; it's a combination; a mixed bag of natural weather happenings and changes in our climate.

I just don't like the "sky is falling" platforms that are not based in reality but used for fear and personal gain.

We can do this; but not with lip service during "certain times" which wave the flag and then just forget about all of it after.

I think we can do this; it will not be a perfect world but we CAN and we MUST diminish some of the harm in the environment.

But it should never, ever, be used to gain popularity and it should never be dialogued with misinfornation and (heaven help us) the presentation of hysterical non-facts.

it has always been an issue for those now on "the trail".

It seems more apparent  because the one walking on the other trail doesn't believe we even have a problem. The difference becomes starkly apparent when  you contrast the the two "trails".

Respected Contributor

My heart breaks for the loss of human and animal life. Feels kind of petty to squawk about not having TV and internet in light of what the (predicted) winds have wrought.
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It seems more apparent  because the one walking on the other trail doesn't believe we even have a problem. The difference becomes starkly apparent when  you contrast the the two "trails".

@Ms tyrion2   I strongly disagree.  The climate change platform is sticking out right now to cull folks to one side.

My issue, if I was not clear, is that these folks were not outstanding regarding climate change before announcing themselves, if you understand what I am getting at.

Now the issue is use and will be forgotten-because it has been before.

The plans offered are so out in the stratosphere that only those who are not savvy enough with facts follow and cheer on.

This, btw, is not supported by only one side; it isn't a matter of not believing-it's a matter of financially and technologically sound solutions.

As I said earlier, we can all do this but tearing down buildings, removing gas powered vehicles, including airplanes (really?) etc. are not practical and most realize this.

We may be facing a 12 year deadline but we are not going to be dead.

This is my point.

Present the facts, present reasonable and sound solutions, and please stop saying only one side is supportive and the other isn't.

Because when a certain book came out and the author lived in a terribly anti-environmental friendly home, the "other side" had a sound ecological home.

It goes both ways.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm soooooo glad I don't live in CA!!!!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2   I strongly disagree.  The climate change platform is sticking out right now to cull folks to one side.

My issue, if I was not clear, is that these folks were not outstanding regarding climate change before announcing themselves, if you understand what I am getting at.

Now the issue is use and will be forgotten-because it has been before.

The plans offered are so out in the stratosphere that only those who are not savvy enough with facts follow and cheer on.

This, btw, is not supported by only one side; it isn't a matter of not believing-it's a matter of financially and technologically sound solutions.

As I said earlier, we can all do this but tearing down buildings, removing gas powered vehicles, including airplanes (really?) etc. are not practical and most realize this.

We may be facing a 12 year deadline but we are not going to be dead.

This is my point.

Present the facts, present reasonable and sound solutions, and please stop saying only one side is supportive and the other isn't.

Because when a certain book came out and the author lived in a terribly anti-environmental friendly home, the "other side" had a sound ecological home.

It goes both ways.

@Cakers3 ,

I will say this in many fewer words than you.

I disagree with you.

You won't change my opinion.

We will just leave it at that.