Honored Contributor
The parking for handicapped is part of the ADA...
Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

If that was me that man would have moved his car. LOL!!!

He might not like what I say to him but after I got finished with him he would be moving his car.

No, the man wouldn’t have moved his car, and we all would have attended your funeral.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Jordan2

I, unlike you, would confront someone, in this particular type of instance, that would do that to me. If they refused to move their vehicle and wait their turn?  Me, I am not concerned about "his" handicap, I am only concerned for about the handicap of whomever I am taking to the doctor.

My usual means in the waiting room? I would again confront him, loudly enough so most in that room would hear me, and use every negative term(no cussing) I know during my speel.

How long? Until an office staff or security guard prevented me from continuing. But, knowing me? It ain't over? This A** hole would find a problem when he went back to his vehicle. What? I ain't tellin, but he will not like it, and it is nothing illegal. This A** may think twice before pulling this s**t on another person.

hckynut(john)

I had a good laugh just now, you made my day John, sure wish I knew what that secret problem would be to the vehicle. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Need To Vent

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

John (@hckynut) I agree. I would probably have said something to the rogue parker if I spotted him in the waiting room, too.  Not something too harsh, I hope.  I might have said something, for instance, to the nurse as I was checking in. 

"Sorry we are late.  I came early and we have been waiting quite a while for a parking space and one of your patients raced around me and took my parking space!"

@Burnsite, I actually did tell the staff what happened, they thought it was terrible. I knew which doctor he was seeing and his appointment time ( a patient in the waiting room was taking a survey), the receptionist told me his name.

She absolutely should not have done that.

I understand your anger and frustration, and having to get there an hour early is ridiculous, IMO.  I don't know many people who have the time to do that.  I would have been upset too.  Even if the guy didn't see you or didn't realize you had been waiting for that spot, he should have relinquished it to you once he found out.

However, the receptionist was wrong to reveal his name to you.  IMO that's the worst part of this entire story.

Respected Contributor

Since the parking situation at the doc's office is so bad, is there anywhere, such as a retail area, near by with ample parking that you can easily park & then, call a cab or Uber to pick you up & drop you at the dr.'s office & do the reverse when you're done? If you park nearby, it shouldn't be too costly & would help with your blood pressure.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Since the parking situation at the doc's office is so bad, is there anywhere, such as a retail area, near by with ample parking that you can easily park & then, call a cab or Uber to pick you up & drop you at the dr.'s office & do the reverse when you're done? If you park nearby, it shouldn't be too costly & would help with your blood pressure.

Especially because the OP has said she doesn't want to change doctors (and I think her reason makes sense), I think your solution is a good one.  The only way to stop the cycle of continuing stress in this situation is to avoid that problematic parking lot.  Uber or a cab from a location closer to the doctor's office than home is a great idea.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

John (@hckynut) I agree. I would probably have said something to the rogue parker if I spotted him in the waiting room, too.  Not something too harsh, I hope.  I might have said something, for instance, to the nurse as I was checking in. 

"Sorry we are late.  I came early and we have been waiting quite a while for a parking space and one of your patients raced around me and took my parking space!"

@Burnsite, I actually did tell the staff what happened, they thought it was terrible. I knew which doctor he was seeing and his appointment time ( a patient in the waiting room was taking a survey), the receptionist told me his name.

She absolutely should not have done that.

I understand your anger and frustration, and having to get there an hour early is ridiculous, IMO.  I don't know many people who have the time to do that.  I would have been upset too.  Even if the guy didn't see you or didn't realize you had been waiting for that spot, he should have relinquished it to you once he found out.

However, the receptionist was wrong to reveal his name to you.  IMO that's the worst part of this entire story.

It's illegal as a violation of HIPPA

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I would ask the doctor or whoever is in charge of the office about the parking situation. Ask for their suggestion if you are unable to find a parking spot and miss your scheduled appt.....some places charge you the price of an office visit if you are late. They need to consider the patients they expect to come to their office and accommodate their parking needs. DH has a handicapped parking tag and must park close to the door due to a bad leg..... can't tell you how many places are in violation of the law that requires a certain number of handicapped parking spaces based on the size of the regular public parking spaces they have....sometimes we find two handicapped spaces out of hundreds of other spaces....and this was at the hospital! Smh

@lovesrecess, one time I actually called the office from the parking lot to tell them I was here but waiting for a spot to open up! They run behind so it doesn't matter if you get there a little late ( I have been at the office sometimes for 2 hours, everyone complains but no one leaves).

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I took my 90 year old mother to the doctor yesterday. She walks with a walker and isn’t in the best of health. The doctor shares an office with his associate ( there is also additional tests done there) so it is quite busy. The parking lot isn’t large, doctors are assigned spots, there are signs you will be towed if you don’t park accordingly. The office has only 8 spots, it’s a joke. I get to the appointment an hour early because I know I might have to wait for a parking spot. I’m in the lot with my car running just waiting for someone to come out ( not in anyone’s way, you can clearly see me and know I’m waiting). I’m sitting for over 30 minutes when this old guy comes into the parking, realized he couldn’t park in this other spot ( nearly backing into me), then proceeded to cut in front of me. He came along and waited all of 2 minutes, when someone came out and moved their car, he parked in the spot! Now if you knew me you would know I’m not the confrontational type. I got out of my car and yelled at him, I have waited 30 minutes, you just got here, didn’t you see me( he claims he didn’t which was a lie), he told me to calm down! I waited 10 more minutes to get a parking space. Then I had to look at his face while in the waiting room. 

@Jordan2

It's one thing to be "the confrontational type" and another thing entirely to stand up for yourself.   While I can't picture the parking lot as mentioned, unless this man was psychic there's no way he would "know" you were waiting.   A running car could also mean you were waiting for your passenger to drop something off and they would be coming right out.   

Seems to me that you can do two things .....   first, complain in person or by phone to both the practice's office manager and the building manager.   Offering only 8 spaces for  the patients of several doctors doesn't make sense, IMO.   Is there alternative parking nearby?   You could drop Mom off at the front door and park your car down the street ... or wherever.

Secondly, as mentioned upthread, inquire about a Handicapped parking sign issued to your mother  That would increase your getting parking spaces more quickly.    JMO

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@KringleB wrote:

Can your mom get a handicapped placard since she uses a walker. Parking may be much easier with that and she can use that while she's with you. 

@KringleB, she does have a handicap placard. There use to be one spot in the lot that was a handicapped space. Someone may have hit the sign, it was never replaced, and the spot was done away with, anyone can park there.

@Jordan2

Okay, that's new information and that is illegal. 

Contact the building office and tell them having no handicapped signs is ILLEGAL and if they don't remedy the situation quickly you will notify city government and they can expect a very big fine.  They can't NOT offer parking for the handicapped!