Super Contributor

Re: I NEED A LIST OF QUESTIONS TO ASK PHYSICIAN

@RedTop @GCR18 @ScrapHappy @manny2 @grandma r - thank you for your responses to my post.  I appreciate all of your comments, and @ScrapHappy your post was especially helpful with your list of items to cover with the doctor, nurse and caseworker.  This has been a learning experience for me, in that I intend to get my ducks in a row concerning my own future medical care.

Honored Contributor

Do you have her Medical Power of Attorney?  Are you her legal guardian?  If you do not have  either of those two things, the hosptial cannot and should not disclose any health information to you.  Wait until the doctor calls, find out why he is calling.  He obviously has something specific to discuss with you.  Wait for information and take one step at a time.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm 

is there any way you can go there and take care of this in person?

it might make it a bit easier to make sure everything is in place and you can actually see the situation. i am sure it would be a comfort for your sister if she had you there, even for a short while and even if it is just to hold her hand.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have some personal experience in dealings like this...

First, when your sister was admitted to the Nursing facility, she filled out paperwork with information on who is her medical contact. Also, paperwork on what happens if her heart stops.  You will not have to go into this. If she had a POA or medical directive, they probably have a copy of it in their files.

Hospice is usually not a place you are taken to, It is a service.  She will probably receive hospice care in the same nursing facility she is in.  She will receive the same care she is receiving now, plus additional care from the hospice team.  She is at the end of her life.... 6 mos or less. There will be no life saving procedures.  Hospice will help her die peacefully.

I would just listen to the doctor.  She/he has something to tell or discus with you.

If the doctor doesn't say so, I'd ask how long he thinks she might have to live. Then if you can, make plans to see her to say your goodbyes.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that hospice means a person has six months to live.  After six months a doctor can re-evaluate the patiient.

As another poster said, it's a service, not a place.  She could receive hospice services in her own home if her conditon allows it.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I don't know that hospice means a person has six months to live.  After six months a doctor can re-evaluate the patiient.

As another poster said, it's a service, not a place.  She could receive hospice services in her own home if her conditon allows it.

Yes, it's very important to say that hospice is re-evaluated after six months, and some people no longer need it.  They recover. 

My mom was placed with hospice almost three years ago, because she had stopped eating and was declining.   Well, she's still around, and now has a very healthy appetite. 

on the other hand, my dad went on hospice care and died less than 48 hours later.  Each case is unique. 

Honored Contributor

To qualify for hospice care a doctor must certify that a patient has 6 months or less to live. 

You can leave hospice care at any time...and yes, some people do recover, but it is not likely.