Respected Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I don't miss the language but I do miss the substance.

I do too, as well as Joan Rivers.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I viewed him to be as much a philosopher as a comedian.

Great post @deepwaterdotter, thank you for this as for me it is spot on!

Esteemed Contributor

I was lucky enough to see his show a few months before he passed away.

I can only imagine what he would be saying today if he were still alive.

Respected Contributor

I was just thinking the same thing the other night when I caught a skit on YouTube.  He was just the best.  I do miss him. He would be a riot with everything going on. 

Honored Contributor

I loved him too and went to see him in person weeks before he passed.

i thought his performance was a little off and he wasn't himself at all.  When he was done, he just walked off of the stage.  He got a standing ovation, but never returned to acknowledge the audience.

The poor man was probably not feeling well.  He sure was funny and hit us to laugh at everyday life

Respected Contributor

Like many of you I loved the substance of his "messages" but not necessarily the language used to deliver them.  I realy liked his airport report.

It's been a long time since I laughed out loud at television.  George Carlin always got me laughing, as did Johnny Carson.  The only thing I laugh at anyore is the old episodes of The Golden Girls. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Comedians being funny and making us laugh ---------- that was so long ago.

You are so right!   I miss George Carlin too.

Super Contributor

Absolutely loved George.  He could get some zingers that totally made you think!

So spot on!  More than a comedian, he was a social commentator!

And there were times he made me laugh, till I cried.  

RIP George.  Thanks for sharing your gift!

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian

I totally agree. Sometimes we don't realize how talented, brilliant and entertaining these comedians were - until they're gone. I'm the best audience --- I literally Laugh Out Loud. A number of years ago, I went with a group of people to a comedy club in Ventura, CA. There were several comedians on -- some had performed on tv -- and I didn't realize how Loud I Was Laughing - until I went to the restroom. A woman pointed at me and said, "You have the Best Laugh". I literally laugh til I cry. 

Valued Contributor

My earliest memory of George is when a neighbor had a tape I listened to.  I must have led a sheltered life because the language was more than I had ever experienced. 

Later on I thoroughly enjoyed his piece on your "Stuff"  and the things you had to take with you.

I also enjoyed his wisdom on many subjects.  He is missed for sure. 

I hope he and Jonathon Winters and Robin and Sam Kinison and John Candy are having a hilarious time in Heaven.