Super Contributor

I live less than 20 minutes from Chef and the Farmer restaurant.  I have only eaten there a couple of times.  There are people from across the country who are willing to drive or fly to eat there.  Not that great in my opinion :/

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, your wife thinks like me.  For the first couple of years that The Talk was on, I refused to watch it because it replaced As The World Turns, one of my favorite soaps.  It didn't have to make sense, it was how I felt, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This is a tough crowd. I like most cooking shows, what .I can't abide are shows like chopped. I think my two favorite food related shows are Ina Garten and  A Chef's Life. The later has taught me so much about regional cooking, I love seeing Vivian cook with older local woman who show her how it used to be done.Also there is a new show on Food Network called Baked in Vermont. with Gesine Prada, her food looks wonderful.

I, too, enjoy "A Chef's Life" on PBS. I think she's one of the cooking world's best-kept secrets. Also, I recently discovered "Baked In Vermont". Did you know that the host, Gesine Prada is Sandra Bullock's sister? Two more cooking shows I enjoy are Trisha Yearwood and Valerie Bertinelli on the Food Network. Last, but not least, I like Martha Stewart's show, "Martha Bakes" on PBS.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Back in 1961, Newton Minnow referred to television programming as a "vast wasteland."

TV was also called the "boob tube" for a number of years (where "boob" meant "dumb" or "stupid" and not what you are thinking).

That being said, we did have (and still do at times) quality programming and/or broadcasts.  Not all, of course, but some.

I think of this saying whenever I see an ad for "Smart TV". Too funny.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I couldn't agree more, @Sooner.  We have been getting dumbed down tv for a long time now.  The more stupid, weird, ridiculous the material is the better. People can't seem to get enough of it. If people weren't watching,  they would have to produce better quality material and move the needle.

And the news, forget it.  I think people forgot about "real" journalism.

You said it well!  I wish the media, at least some of them, would uplift and inform us and alert us to great literature and music, cultures, and philosophers as they used to.  More channels, more Kardashians. We are reliving the dark ages.  PBS does some but it is the same old same old and not Much diversity. PBSRadio and CSPAN are hard to find scheduling

@aprilskies

Honored Contributor

Really is difficult to find anything good on tv.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

My opinion:

Limit tv time.

Read a couple of books at a time.  One should be your favorite fiction, another should be one about a subject on current events or history.

Get up and move around.  Take a walk if you can.  Take up something new to learn.  I just started learning calligraphy.

When you do watch, watch something serious.  News - I watch PBS.   I also tune into C-Span frequently.  There are some great discussions there about all kinds of topics.  Their Book interviews are really good.

If you're sick of the juvenile tone of most of our media, you've got to be proactive in seeking out other sources and doing other things.

Jmo.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero