Honored Contributor

Last night, I watched the shows that I normally tape that came back after the holidays.  All daytime tv. 

I started to fast forward through most of it because I realized it was making me extremely unhappy to watch it all. 

I had a nice vacation from the ugliness and snarkiness and just plain meanness and I think my tv is going to be very silent for a while so I can preserve my feel good vibe.  

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I watch a few minutes of Live in the morning.  I cannot stomach the sillliness of any of the three morning news shows.  Mostly I listen to the radio and check my iPad for news.   I don't like loud raucous laughter as I wake up.  The rest of daytime network is a wasteland of nothingness.  

Respected Contributor

I couldn't agree more, @Sooner.  We have been getting dumbed down tv for a long time now.  The more stupid, weird, ridiculous the material is the better. People can't seem to get enough of it. If people weren't watching,  they would have to produce better quality material and move the needle.

And the news, forget it.  I think people forgot about "real" journalism.

Honored Contributor

@kivah

American Idol had worn out its welcome, and yet they are bringing it back....tired of The Voice too....dont care to see "The Four", Americas Got Talent, So You Can Dance etc etc etc....yep, they are going for the cheapest shows that can be produced.  Remember when you saw commercials for tons of products, now the sponsors have become littled to car/truck manufacturers, insurance companies, pharmacuetical companies, fast food..that's it!!!  That should tell the networks how lousy the advertisers think the programming is.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I work from home a lot so sometime daytime TV is on in the background.......The only shows I like to watch are Judge Milan (Peoples Court) and Judge Judy.  Sometimes there is  good movie from the 30's/40's on TCM........The rest is just garbage.  I used to have QVC on in the background but I got tired of the repetitive products/programming and annoying hosts.  I find myself listening to music instead of watching TV

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I never watch that program.  With Clinton Kelly and other no names, I could care less about watching.  I would take a soap opera over that program.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I miss adults on newscasts, cooking shows, weather casts, giving book reviews, etc.

I am so sick of seeing pie throwing, dancing and jumping, screaming, baby food like cupcakes and mac and cheese, and other things that adults do and talk about..  

Intelligence and wit and interesting food seem to have disappeared in favor of the junior high school mentality and hijenks that you see, hear or read in almost any medium now.  

I just miss the grown up world. This feeling was brought on when I tried to watch The Chew just now.  

The Chew is not the same without Daphne Oz.  I no longer watch it.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

This country is youth obsessed!  My two sisters are RN's.  One worked in Emergency at MedStar (where the helicopter comes in).  She's had extensive emergency room experience.

Yet, she's been looking for a job for months.  I've talked to several people (strangers) who've been looking for jobs for months (two have been looking for over 1 year).

Why?  They are all convinced it's because most of them are in their early 50's.

I totally agree with the OP!  It's crazy some of the things I see on TV these days (morning shows).

I don't watch much morning news (if you want to call it that) shows, they act like a bunch of teenagers.

Anyway, it used to mean something when people had some knowledge and training.  Now they only need to be young, (usually slim) and attractive.  Ugh!

@Annabellethecat66

I have a friend that is a BSN and is 75 years old - still working in Southern California.  She has never had in trouble finding jobs.  

Honored Contributor

Back in 1961, Newton Minnow referred to television programming as a "vast wasteland."

TV was also called the "boob tube" for a number of years (where "boob" meant "dumb" or "stupid" and not what you are thinking).

That being said, we did have (and still do at times) quality programming and/or broadcasts.  Not all, of course, but some.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.