Valued Contributor

I Met a Wonderful Woman & Made a New Friend!

About 2 - 2 1/2 weeks ago I was grocery shopping.  There was a woman (about 5' 3"} trying to reach something on a fairly high shelf - she clearly was not going to reach it.  I asked what she was trying to get and volunteered to get it for her.  She told me what she wanted, I plucked it down and handed to her.   We got talking, one thing led to another and she told me she was 84 (she sure didn't look it)!  Her hair was snow white, she had some wrinkles, but the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen and I don't know how else to describe it, but she just had a "kind" face.

Turns out she lost her husband three weeks before Thanksgiving in 2018, after a short illness - they never were able to have children, and the rest of her family was deceased.  She and her husband had moved to Florida four years ago at the urging of very good friends.  When her husband died those same good friends told her they were sorry they couldn't invite her for the holidays, but they were celebrating them with their children and grandchildren - all in the area.  She was baffled and hurt as she knew the kids, the grandkids and couldn't believe her "good friends" were turning their backs on her during this very difficult time.

Now I'm a pretty private person, don't warm up to people easily, but there was just "something" about this woman that I wanted to know more about.  I gave her my phone number and told her to give me a call and maybe we could get together, meet for coffee, whatever worked for her.  Never thought I'd hear from her again.  Well, she called me Monday.  I invited her for dinner Tuesday night and she jumped on the opportunity.  I picked her up (she doesn't drive after dark) and she, my husband and I had a wonderful dinner at our house.  She was a delight.  The stories as a young girl during WWII and later meeting her husband who was a career Army officer and served in Korea.  Their travels throughout the world and the sorrows of not being able to have children.  She was absolutely fascinating, has led an interesting life and I feel blessed to have met her.  We already have plans for her to come for dinner again next week.  This year she will be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with my husband and I.

I guess we connect with people for a reason, whether we understand it or not at the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Met a Wonderful Woman & Made a New Friend!

@Its Me LuLuBelle2, what a great “meet cute”. And it seems you made a wonderful friend. Blessings to you. 

Super Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2. Thank you for this.  You have warmed my heart on a chilly Florida evening.

Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2, what a wonderful story.  It is so nice that you were able to really connect with her and learn about her fascinating life.  I predict that you will enjoy this friendship for a long time.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

What a wonderful story and how nice you gave her your # and invited her to call you.  I bet it was as special for her as it is for you!!!

Enjoy your new friendship -- you're right we never know when people come into our lives but fate is a "wonderful" thing!🙂🙂

Honored Contributor

What a nice story.  You were destined to meet.

Honored Contributor

What a lovely story. 

Yes I firmly believe people cross paths for reasons you just told us about.

Thank you for sharing and bless you.

Honored Contributor

I have been blessed with close long term friends who are there for me in good and bad times as I am for them.  My closest friend passed two years ago and left a void in my heart but  I am grateful for all of my friends and know each one was put in my life for a reason.  

I believe it is never too late to make a friend.  You are fortunate to have met this woman and she has a purpose in your life.  Enjoy your time together, I am sure you will learn from each other, laugh and cry together, share your lives.  I wish you the best and you are very kind to welcome this woman in your life.

Contributor

How fortunate for you both.  What a lovely outcome of that chance meeting.   We make friends for a reason, a season or a lifetime and they all touch our hearts, just as your new friend has.  Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

I LOVED this story. It just warmed my heart. 

What special people you and your husband are. ♥️