Trusted Contributor

i agree withyou.

you should see the way some patrons come into the library

i fear that they are going to fall out of their clothes(what little clothes they have on).  it is hard to know where not to look when dealing with them

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For those who like to vent about how they think the world has devolved into a snake pit of immorality and licentiousness, go ahead. Vent.

Just don't you dare try to impose your views on anyone other than those who commit a law. And don't you dare try to change our laws to mimic those countries that legislate how people must dress.

And yes, when it comes to morality, we have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about revealing clothing.

Oh my goodness.  I don't think that most posters here who have expressed their feelings about the state of undress these days are thinking of trying to regulate dress codes or anything like that.  Just like you, we are free to express what we feel about what we see, and that doesn't mean we feel we should take away someone's freedom.  It seems that that is what you are doing, by making anyone feel intimidated to express their opinions.  Nobody here remotely suggested changing laws or anything like that.  That is ridiculous.

If you think we're prudes or restrictive in any way, I would suggest you look in the mirror. You are the one who is suggesting we stop voicing opinions about how we feel about what we see.  That has nothing to do with morality.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

For those who like to vent about how they think the world has devolved into a snake pit of immorality and licentiousness, go ahead. Vent.

Just don't you dare try to impose your views on anyone other than those who commit a law. And don't you dare try to change our laws to mimic those countries that legislate how people must dress.

And yes, when it comes to morality, we have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about revealing clothing.

Oh my goodness.  I don't think that most posters here who have expressed their feelings about the state of undress these days are thinking of trying to regulate dress codes or anything like that.  Just like you, we are free to express what we feel about what we see, and that doesn't mean we feel we should take away someone's freedom.  It seems that that is what you are doing, by making anyone feel intimidated to express their opinions.  Nobody here remotely suggested changing laws or anything like that.  That is ridiculous.

If you think we're prudes or restrictive in any way, I would suggest you look in the mirror. You are the one who is suggesting we stop voicing opinions about how we feel about what we see.  That has nothing to do with morality.

Disagree on all counts, @blueroses47

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

This thread has crossed into the absurd category.  

I agree @GenXmuse,  and with this comment we can now add ignorance to the absurd.

@@morning lover   California.......need I say more???"

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook wrote:

When a post starts with " I am not a prude"...   you know it probably is someone who is living in the past where hiding behind lots of clothes was the norm.  It is normal that people want to cling to the ways of their past but everything is constantly changing.  Our parents and grandparents were complaining about the lack of modesty in our dress.  I say do what you feel is right for your and adhere to stricter standards of dress but not anyone's business to judge and dictate what others chose to wear!     Someone brought up the Amish but they do not judge others nor do they expect non Amish to adhere to their dress code or standards!  

@Pook  What you are describing is anarchy.  We have laws and standards of acceptible dress in public.  Those should certainly be judged and enforced. So yes it is a duty and an obligation of citizens and law enforcement to JUDGE and that's what we are supposed to do.

Otherwise we have anarchy.  Chaos.  So you simply don't believe there are limits and rights and wrongs?  Anything goes?  Please let us know.

And the Amaish do judge.  They are quite happy to shun someone and cast them out for not following their rules. And here we are talking about US laws, not laws in some other country where nudity or near is customary there. 

I don't recall any laws cited here so none are being broken by anything anyone is judging others for!  What anarchy - just because someone is wearing something some find inappropriate?!!!  Everything  discussed here is just those more conservative dressers that want others to dress in clothing they consider appropriate and nothing to do with any real laws!!!  Not anyone's business if anyone wants to wear Daisy Dukes and revealing clothing - that is not against the law!! 

If someone were to go into a store or walk around in public nude then yes there are laws but what OP posted about is nothing that is against the law - just not what she thinks shouldn't be worn as are all the other posts!! 

As for the Amish, shunning within their own community is an apples and orange comparison!!  They judge their own and not the English community!  I live in area that has Amish and I have never seen anyone thrown out of their stores due to their clothing!  They are quite friendly to all!!

FYI there are no laws in this country that state what celebrities or others are wearing is illegal!!  If there were such prudish laws the prisons would be full all over the country!!!

If it were up to some here we would all be living in the past wearing only clothing that covers most of our bodies!!!  The human body is remarkable and we were born nude!!

@Pook  I was just wondering that why it's okay for the Amish to judge their own and not the English community. And why can't the English community judge their own too as long as they don't judge the Amish?

just saying.............

Honored Contributor

I don't think any poster is saying we need stricter laws or that we all need to cover ourselves more.

As far as celebrities, they often wear those outfits to promote the designer.

btw:  My post about Handmaid's Tale was tongue-in-cheek and not meant as a snark.

Although there was a poster one time who believes that Margaret Atwood was definitely predicting the future.  lmao

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

Nevermind, no comment

Respected Contributor

I'll answer that, @Carmie.

The amish judge their own because they are a closed society. 

The USA, in  general is an amalgamation of many cultures and religious or non religious beliefs. What a white, European descendant feels is moral may differ from another person's cultural heritage dictates.

Our hang ups regarding nudity have roots in the Puritan ethic . When the country was young, they were in the majority of immigrant people.  We no longer have such an overwhelming majority of white, Christian,  British isles people here.  

With cultural diversity comes diversity in language, dress and social mores. What you may find distasteful is not necessarily true for all. 

So, judgement is a slippery slope. Long story short, dress in a way you feel comfortable . Let others do the same.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

Nevermind

Honored Contributor

Im no prude either but I totally agree with the OP.  People should have some dignity and class when they go out in public.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller