Trusted Contributor

@MorningLover   California.......need I say more???

Honored Contributor

This thread has crossed into the absurd category.  

Honored Contributor

Obviously, that's just your opinion.   I don't think the human body is anything to be ashamed of so personally don't care what anyone chooses to show or not show.  Dress like a mummy or walk around in all your glory, either way is none of my business.  I've seen all those body parts before.  I'm neither impressed nor shocked.   I just do what works for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT.

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina  Not since I was a child have I seen a Catholic nun covered up as you describe.  Today, most wear a black or navy skirt to the middle of their knees, a white blouse and a vest.  Their stocking are sheer.  Usually no head coverings, but some still do wear a small veil with their hair showing in the front.

Some nuns wear a basic modest dress in navy or black instead of the skirt.  There're might be order or two who are covered from head to toe, but it is rare.

My daughter's best friend is a nun and when she comes to visits, most people have no idea because her clothing fits right in with everyone else.

So, should modern nun wear be the standard by which we judge other women?

Handcuff me now and haul me off. 

No, why would you even think that?   I was just replying to a poster that most nuns today are not covered from head to toe in those old habits of yesterday.

talking about jumping to conclusions.....Scheech.

Personally, I think most people today dress in acceptable attire.  Occasionally, I see someone dressed so skimpy that everyone does a double take.  

People are pretty conservative here in PA.  If you are not dressed properly, you will be asked to leave a pool, state park, school, restaurant and many other places.  

Hershey Park puts people out for inappropriate attire almost every day.  

46B1B924-B1C0-4838-A87E-AADA139E1553.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook  What you are describing is anarchy.  We have laws and standards of acceptible dress in public.  Those should certainly be judged and enforced. So yes it is a duty and an obligation of citizens and law enforcement to JUDGE and that's what we are supposed to do.

Otherwise we have anarchy.  Chaos.  So you simply don't believe there are limits and rights and wrongs?  Anything goes?  Please let us know.

And the Amaish do judge.  They are quite happy to shun someone and cast them out for not following their rules. And here we are talking about US laws, not laws in some other country where nudity or near is customary there. 

Wait a minute. You think there should be laws agains dressing in skimpy clothes? Or are you talking about complete nuditI'm y? Should someone showing cleavage or wearing super tight, short shorts be arrested or cited? Exactly what are you saying here? I'm trying to get clarification because your comment seems totally over-the-top and militant.

I'm wondering, too, what poster here want to happen.  

Should there be dress codes for all public places?  Should there be citations given out if your skirt length doesn't meet some legal requirement?  Should you be ticketed for showing over a determined amount of cleavage?

If people don't like how others dress then that's their prerogative and right.  But do they want others to be penalized by the law for dressing in a way that they determine is "immodest"?

@QueenDanceALot

There's already laws in place---called Public Indecency Laws and Public Lewdness.........it varies by State.....

So its okay for someone to expose "everything" even if children were around, if that adult was shopping, at the movies, swimming pool at a hotel or water park, restaurant etc etc because of freedom of choice of that adult and their perogative and right, afterall its for their own self "gratification" ............Thats the way you see it I guess...no holds barred

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook  What you are describing is anarchy.  We have laws and standards of acceptible dress in public.  Those should certainly be judged and enforced. So yes it is a duty and an obligation of citizens and law enforcement to JUDGE and that's what we are supposed to do.

Otherwise we have anarchy.  Chaos.  So you simply don't believe there are limits and rights and wrongs?  Anything goes?  Please let us know.

And the Amaish do judge.  They are quite happy to shun someone and cast them out for not following their rules. And here we are talking about US laws, not laws in some other country where nudity or near is customary there. 

Wait a minute. You think there should be laws agains dressing in skimpy clothes? Or are you talking about complete nuditI'm y? Should someone showing cleavage or wearing super tight, short shorts be arrested or cited? Exactly what are you saying here? I'm trying to get clarification because your comment seems totally over-the-top and militant.

I'm wondering, too, what poster here want to happen.  

Should there be dress codes for all public places?  Should there be citations given out if your skirt length doesn't meet some legal requirement?  Should you be ticketed for showing over a determined amount of cleavage?

If people don't like how others dress then that's their prerogative and right.  But do they want others to be penalized by the law for dressing in a way that they determine is "immodest"?

@QueenDanceALot

There's already laws in place---called Public Indecency Laws and Public Lewdness.........it varies by State.....

So its okay for someone to expose "everything" even if children were around, if that adult was shopping, at that the movies, swimming pool at a hotel or water park, restaurant etc etc because of freedom of choice of that adult and their perogative and right, afterall its for their own self "gratification" ............Thats the way you see it I guess...no holds barred

@Spurt

I know there are laws against public indecency and lewdness.  

You think I am endorsing exposing private parts to children in public?  You think I condone walking around naked down a public street?  Is that what you mean by exposing "everything"?  I said nowhere that this would be Okeedokee

I am trying to get a handle on what level of exposure posters here who are up in arms about showing "everything" would find acceptable.

It is all rather vague when posters are talking about short length and cleavage exposure.

It is also vague what posters want to see done about infractions of their "rules" on what they consider to be immodest attire in the public arena.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@bathina  Not since I was a child have I seen a Catholic nun covered up as you describe.  Today, most wear a black or navy skirt to the middle of their knees, a white blouse and a vest.  Their stocking are sheer.  Usually no head coverings, but some still do wear a small veil with their hair showing in the front.

Some nuns wear a basic modest dress in navy or black instead of the skirt.  There're might be order or two who are covered from head to toe, but it is rare.

My daughter's best friend is a nun and when she comes to visits, most people have no idea because her clothing fits right in with everyone else.

No, why would you even think that?   I was just replying to a poster that most nuns today are not covered from head to toe in those old habits of yesterday.

Personally, I think most people today dress in acceptable attire.  Occasionally, I see someone dressed so skimpy that everyone does a double take.  

People are pretty conservative here in PA.  If you are not dressed properly, you will be asked to leave a pool, state park, school, restaurant and many other places.  

@Carmie

You said that their clothing fits in with everyone else.

Hence my post.

It was a little tongue in cheek.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie

Hence my post.

No, I did not say that.  Your reading comprehension is off.  I said my daughter's friend is a nun and when SHE visits most people have no idea she's is a nun. Her clothing is just like everyone else's...she doesn't dress any differently than most people.  She fits and blends right in.

You need to brush up on your pronouns.  She means one person...one only.   Their means more than one person...like in two or more.

I am done Posting with you on this subject.  It seems like you are trying to get this thread  poofed!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie

Hence my post.

No, I did not say that.  Your reading comprehension is off.  I said my daughter's friend is a nun and when SHE visits most people have no idea she's is a nun. Her clothing is just like everyone else's...she doesn't dress any differently than most people.  She fits and blends right in.

You need to brush up on your pronouns.  She means one person...one only.   Their means more than one person...like in two or more.

I am done Posting with you on this subject.  It seems like you are trying to get this thread  poofed!

Thank you for the critique on my reading comprehension.  I will get to my pronoun brush up right away!

And I've said nothing that would violate any board standards here, so I have no idea what you're talking about.  I have no interest in getting the thread poofed.  Why on earth would I?

Honored Contributor

kind of hard to believe that some of you were a part of the woodstock generation.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein