Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma, I completely agree with you.  In fact, it's the weird posing in the abbreviated getups that contribute to my inability to watch the "red carpet" interviews before all those award shows.

I used to enjoy these interviews in the past, but gradually I got so put-off by having to see so  many celebrities half dressed, that I just don't feel like watching.  I say to myself, "yes, I know they have breasts", they don't have to try to prove it.

Respected Contributor
Totally agree. It has become a competition to see how much one can show without showing “it” . These individuals think that we others relish the show. NO. I am sick if the self-absorbed. Add to that some hand gestures and it’s revolting.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook wrote:

When a post starts with " I am not a prude"...   you know it probably is someone who is living in the past where hiding behind lots of clothes was the norm.  It is normal that people want to cling to the ways of their past but everything is constantly changing.  Our parents and grandparents were complaining about the lack of modesty in our dress.  I say do what you feel is right for your and adhere to stricter standards of dress but not anyone's business to judge and dictate what others chose to wear!     Someone brought up the Amish but they do not judge others nor do they expect non Amish to adhere to their dress code or standards!  

@Pook  What you are describing is anarchy.  We have laws and standards of acceptible dress in public.  Those should certainly be judged and enforced. So yes it is a duty and an obligation of citizens and law enforcement to JUDGE and that's what we are supposed to do.

Otherwise we have anarchy.  Chaos.  So you simply don't believe there are limits and rights and wrongs?  Anything goes?  Please let us know.

And the Amaish do judge.  They are quite happy to shun someone and cast them out for not following their rules. And here we are talking about US laws, not laws in some other country where nudity or near is customary there. 

There are laws against public nudity. I believe these laws are enforced quite well since I don't see anyone walking around topless or bottomless in public. Skimpy outfits do not equate to public nudity. They are simply an expression of that person's style at that particular moment in time. Further, you can not legislate morality. Perhaps Iran or Saudi Arabia would be a better place for those who would like to make laws dictating their view of what is moral. Ironic that people wail over the "thought police" yet think we should have government telling us how we can dress.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I care what I wear and what DH wears I really do not give a fig what others wear and who wears what. I have too many other things going to expend extra energy on stuff like this

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook wrote:

When a post starts with " I am not a prude"...   you know it probably is someone who is living in the past where hiding behind lots of clothes was the norm.  It is normal that people want to cling to the ways of their past but everything is constantly changing.  Our parents and grandparents were complaining about the lack of modesty in our dress.  I say do what you feel is right for your and adhere to stricter standards of dress but not anyone's business to judge and dictate what others chose to wear!     Someone brought up the Amish but they do not judge others nor do they expect non Amish to adhere to their dress code or standards!  

@Pook  What you are describing is anarchy.  We have laws and standards of acceptible dress in public.  Those should certainly be judged and enforced. So yes it is a duty and an obligation of citizens and law enforcement to JUDGE and that's what we are supposed to do.

Otherwise we have anarchy.  Chaos.  So you simply don't believe there are limits and rights and wrongs?  Anything goes?  Please let us know.

And the Amaish do judge.  They are quite happy to shun someone and cast them out for not following their rules. And here we are talking about US laws, not laws in some other country where nudity or near is customary there. 

There are laws against public nudity. I believe these laws are enforced quite well since I don't see anyone walking around topless or bottomless in public. Skimpy outfits do not equate to public nudity. They are simply an expression of that person's style at that particular moment in time. Further, you can not legislate morality. Perhaps Iran or Saudi Arabia would be a better place for those who would like to make laws dictating their view of what is moral. Ironic that people wail over the "thought police" yet think we should have government telling us how we can dress.

@bathina  Indecent exposure is the deliberate exposure in public or in view of the general public by a person of a portion or portions of their body, in circumstances where the exposure is contrary to local moral or other standards of appropriate behavior.

Honored Contributor

"never judge a stranger by his clothes." - zachary taylor

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

"never judge a stranger by his clothes." - zachary taylor

@sunshine45  Zach judged people by their military uniforms and rank; we know priests by their robed; motorcycle gangs by the insignias on their jackets; strippers by what they wear or don't wear; band members by their clothing; dance teams by their costumes; movie stars by what they wear; rock and roll grundge bands by their grundge; famers by their overalls; and on and on and on.

People dress to show the world who they think they are.  And if you say I only dress to please myself, that is probably a message to others too. 

You may not think that, but it is a fact.  We represent ourselves by how we look. 

I've said all I have to say on this subject. . . 

Honored Contributor

With celebrities - I think it's a constant need on their part to be "out there" and noticed. 

They want to be on the news and will do and/or say just about anything to get publicity.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I don't recall any laws cited here so none are being broken by anything anyone is judging others for!  What anarchy - just because someone is wearing something some find inappropriate?!!!  Everything  discussed here is just those more conservative dressers that want others to dress in clothing they consider appropriate and nothing to do with any real laws!!!  Not anyone's business if anyone wants to wear Daisy Dukes and revealing clothing - that is not against the law!! 

If someone were to go into a store or walk around in public nude then yes there are laws but what OP posted about is nothing that is against the law - just not what she thinks shouldn't be worn as are all the other posts!! 

As for the Amish, shunning within their own community is an apples and orange comparison!!  They judge their own and not the English community!  I live in area that has Amish and I have never seen anyone thrown out of their stores due to their clothing!  They are quite friendly to all!!

FYI there are no laws in this country that state what celebrities or others are wearing is illegal!!  If there were such prudish laws the prisons would be full all over the country!!!

If it were up to some here we would all be living in the past wearing only clothing that covers most of our bodies!!!  The human body is remarkable and we were born nude!!