Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The exhibitionist behavior we see in indicative of the times in which we're living.  The really isn't a darn thing we can do about it.

To add to this....I heard a comment yesterday on something different and I have to ask Why do we let this go on.  If we continue to throw up our hands and think we don't have a way to not allow this, we as a people, are really bad off.  That's just the way it is, no longer makes a lick of sense to me.  

If you build it they will come.  If we shun (so to speak and not buy into certain behaviors,) it no longer will be a thing to do.  Why certain behaviors are allowed, condoned, etc.  

We as a people, seem so out of balance it's unbelievable.  I wish I had a remedy for this.  I as one person can do nothing.  So Kachina is feeling the same thing I am.  

If the children aren't in control of themselves, who do they look to but adults?  We need some really good examples for the children.  Restraint, we need limits. 

Honored Contributor

There's an Amish bakery close to where I live. I went there this weekend and posted on a card near the register was a sign requesting modesty. Yes, todays culture is off the rail!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Sex sells.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

There's an Amish bakery close to where I live. I went there this weekend and posted on a card near the register was a sign requesting modesty. Yes, today's culture is off the rail!

If you went in to that bakery, I would think you would have to adhere to their religious belief in dressng.  Long sleeves despite th heat, dress at least mid calf. Amish don't wear sandals.  I don't know if that is allowed.

On the shuttle to work, I chat with a Muslim student.  It's sweltering heat and she is covered from head to toe.  No sandals. She is from Jordan, so she does not cover her face, but other students do.  They wear the full Burka.  This is the meaning of modesty.  Men too.  They must be covered from head to toe. They can't wear shorts.  They must wear facial hair. they can wear white, but woman never, because it is transparent.  They must always wear dark clothing.   Orthodox Jews same thing, but not full covered.  Sleeves to the elbow, dress to mid calf, dark colors.  Married women cover their heads either with a scarf or a wig. No sandals.

Small thanks there isn't a law that requires you to dress that way to work or at home.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

There's an Amish bakery close to where I live. I went there this weekend and posted on a card near the register was a sign requesting modesty. Yes, today's culture is off the rail!

If you went in to that bakery, I would think you would have to adhere to their religious belief in dressng.  Long sleeves despite th heat, dress at least mid calf. Amish don't wear sandals.  I don't know if that is allowed.

On the shuttle to work, I chat with a Muslim student.  It's sweltering heat and she is covered from head to toe.  No sandals. She is from Jordan, so she does not cover her face, but other students do.  They wear the full Burka.  This is the meaning of modesty.  Men too.  They must be covered from head to toe. They can't wear shorts.  They must wear facial hair. they can wear white, but woman never, because it is transparent.  They must always wear dark clothing.   Orthodox Jews same thing, but not full covered.  Sleeves to the elbow, dress to mid calf, dark colors.  Married women cover their heads either with a scarf or a wig. No sandals.

Small thanks there isn't a law that requires you to dress that way to work or at home.

The Amish ladies in my neck of the woods walk barefoot in the summertime while outside.  I see them walking in groups carrying their shoes when it is hot. Never saw sandals on them, but rubber flip flops...yes...in Walmart of all places!

You would not have to adhere to Amish modesty to patronize their bakery and they do not expect anyone to unless they are Amish.

What you describe might be too much modesty for most people.I think there has to be some middle ground using common sense.  

During the 1920's modesty went out of the window for a while , then it came back.  In the 70's showing of the body came into fashion again.  Through out history, we have gone back and forth with the modesty issue.

i suppose as long as people are obeying the laws and cover whatever bits they are required to, we have no choice, but to have to look at visual pollution.

F8DCB179-1DCB-46FC-A052-0E4999014D72.png6B8BCFFB-6ED5-4FC9-83AE-0EFEF89C6775.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The exhibitionist behavior we see in indicative of the times in which we're living.  The really isn't a darn thing we can do about it.

To add to this....I heard a comment yesterday on something different and I have to ask Why do we let this go on.  If we continue to throw up our hands and think we don't have a way to not allow this, we as a people, are really bad off.  That's just the way it is, no longer makes a lick of sense to me.  

If you build it they will come.  If we shun (so to speak and not buy into certain behaviors,) it no longer will be a thing to do.  Why certain behaviors are allowed, condoned, etc.  

We as a people, seem so out of balance it's unbelievable.  I wish I had a remedy for this.  I as one person can do nothing.  So Kachina is feeling the same thing I am.  

If the children aren't in control of themselves, who do they look to but adults?  We need some really good examples for the children.  Restraint, we need limits. 

I was going to respond to @Kachina624 post in the same manner @qualitygal

As a society, we just throw up our hands when our values become the minority, we don't make waves, we don't want to appear politically incorrect or judgmental. 

We have to judge. That is how we set our boundaries. We have to look at behavior and say that some things are acceptable (and that may vary with someone's age, or a specific time and place) and some simply are not. Then we have to vocalize that, and we have to live that as example. 

But that takes work, puts one out there to be criticized and isn't always the easy thing to do. It's so much easier to say 'live and let live', or 'mind your own business'. But eventually the eroding morals of a community/nation/world will more than become our business.

Restrains and limits? Such bad words today. And we pay the price for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Why must women be relegated to extremes in their clothing choices? I don’t want to offend anyone’s religion but, in general, I believe that no one should be subjected to having to wear heavy clothing in hot weather. On the other hand, I think that some celebrities, and some “civilians” too, equate style with body exposure. Wearing outfits that fall just short of police arrest is not fashion or style. It’s attention-grabbing, which I assume is one reason why some women wear very little, but it’s not necessary. I think what bothers me most is that too many people have no idea how to dress appropriately. Shorts, tees, and old sneakers seem to be the go-anywhere outfit. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'M NOT A PRUDE...BUT

[ Edited ]

@forsythia1 wrote:

I am retired now, but when I worked, my places of employment had dress codes.

Schools have dress codes.  Why aren't they being enforced?

I know we have some posters that are teachers. 

What do you say?

Schools have a very difficult time enforcing dress codes.  They may exist on paper (or not), but be prepared to do battle with parents.  What parents will defend is appalling including what their children wear to school.  Once when we called a parent about her daughter's very tight and revealing shirt, her mother told us the girl didn't have any other clothes.  We used to stock a pile of oversized t-shirts so we could give them to students if they were required to cover up.  Sometimes the sayings or pictures on a t-shirt were disgusting and we'd make a kid either turn the shirt inside out or change it altogether.  None of this came easy.  Kids would fight us.  Parents would fight us.  You get the picture. 

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma. Question for you.  About two years ago you posted about moving with your daughter to Central Florida from Arizona.  Did you ever make that move, and if so, do you enjoy living here?  We love living here and hope that you do also if you made the move.

QVC Customer Care