Honored Contributor

Re: I'M BLOCKING PHONE CALLS !!

@Kachina624 wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn    Once again, when you answer the phone with a smart aleck greeting, youre telling spammers they have a good number and you'll go on the lists they exchange.

IMO the Do Not Call list is worthless.  If you registered once, you've been on it all along.  It doesn't expire.  It's just ignored.

@Kachina624 I agree that the "Do not call list" is worthless!  I have it on both my land line & cell phones.  I used to only get the endless annoying calls on the land line but now they are on the cell a lot too.

This time of year is really bad with "medicare", "health care" or political calls which are getting ridiculous.

My question....what is the difference if I answer or leave it to the answering machine to answer?  Most of the time I just don't answer, sometimes I will just pick up the phone and slam it down just to stop it from ringing and other times I will answer with a "Nobody's home!"  I always block the calls but they just keep sprouting new numbers!

Honored Contributor

@Chopsmom wrote:

It is very frustrating. 

Does your phone company offer a telemarketer blocking feature?   Mine does and it's inexpensive. 

Anyone who calls our number has to press a certain digit to get through.   We have had zero spam or telemarketer calls for years now.

@Chopsmom   I really don't know.  I will have to look into that.  I have Verizon.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 I don't have Verizon, but it's worth a try to call and ask them.  Mine is a small cable company and I couldn't believe they had such a thing.  Glad they do.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9    I'm betting a human answer and an answering machine answer count as the same thing in the eyes of telemarketers.  I haven't turned on my machine for years.  Haven't missed anything important.  If I see a number twice in the same day, I answer it in case it is important as telemarketers aren't likely to do this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I think both answering & the machine answering would be the same to them too.  However though family & friends call on my cell, I still use the land line for doctor calls since DH is disabled and I would hate to miss some of those calls.  At this point in my life I wouldn't mind getting rid of the land line but DH still likes keeping it.

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

l tried every trick in the book! Answer , don't answer, complaining to the phone co , blocking , the phone rang at least 8 times a day and maybe one real call for us . l couldn't take that ringing so l had that landline removed ! We have cell phones , anyway .  lt is now so nice and quiet , l love it !  With the cell , l can silence it and people can leave messages or text . No more ringing at my house !  

@judianne 

Yep, I got rid of my landline 6 yrs ago and is been so peaceful----no telemarketers, no robo calls.....And during this time on my cell phone I got ONE telemarketer (auto warranty) which I blocked and no more calls since!!!! Not even political calls which are exempt and allowed under the Do Not Call Register----SILENCE IS INDEED GOLDEN! 😁

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

I have mentioned on different forums here, about the cordless phone set I bought a few years ago from HSN. 

All the phones, and base, have an Auto Call Block. When turned ON, it will block every call that IS NOT in your phone's Directory. Your phone will not even ring when you have this set on Auto Block. This Model will block up to 1,000 phone numbers.

We needed a new landline phone, so I opted for this 4 handset package. Well worth the money. I think the price figured out to be about $20 per handset.

It's up to you if you wish to have this feature Turned ON or OFF. Our phone only rings when it is someone's phone number we have in our Directory. 

Might give it some thought if you are in the market for a new phone, or! If you just want to eliminate your frustration.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn  wrote:

All the phones, and base, have an Auto Call Block. When turned ON, it will block every call that IS NOT in your phone's Directory. Your phone will not even ring when you have this set on Auto Block. This Model will block up to 1,000 phone numbers.

We needed a new landline phone, so I opted for this 4 handset package. Well worth the money. I think the price figured out to be about $20 per handset.

It's up to you if you wish to have this feature Turned ON or OFF. Our phone only rings when it is someone's phone number we have in our Directory. 

Might give it some thought if you are in the market for a new phone, or! If you just want to eliminate your frustration.

I just might look into that phone. I prefer to keep my landline I have had it for years and years guess I'm just stuck in the old days of landlines. I don't have the  problem with my cell phone. Thanks for the info   

Honored Contributor

I just don't understand why people these calls and then have a conversation with the callers they don't want to talk to.  It's that season when everyone, even when we aren't eligible for Medicare, gets those calls.  I get them on my cell, I don't have a landline.  If I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voice-mail.  If I recognize it as one of those Medicare insurance callers, I terminate the call without answering.  No point in blocking because they use different numbers.  Never in a million years would I have a conversation with those people.  

Honored Contributor

If you have someone in a care facility you simply can't block every call you don't know.  Aids call, nurses call and there are people you don't know.

We don't answer calls that we know are bogus, but we can't just block all.