Honored Contributor

My mom spent a lifetime studying Indian history, habits, lore and crafts.  She was very knowledgeable about the ancient Anasazi cliff dwellers.  If you displayed the slightest interest, she was set to give an extensive lecture until your eyes glazed over.  Family joke.... don't press the Anasazi button. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: I Love my Mom but...

[ Edited ]

When she would hide behind the back door and pull my hair for whatever reason.  The way she insulted my hair, the way I sang, the way I dressed.  When she would take things on my dresser and hide it making me think I lost it, esp my jewelry.  Her drinking.

Honored Contributor

Her smoking habit.   My parents were smoking a pack a day when I was a teenager at home; stayed in my room with the door shut to get away from the smell.  

After I married, their habit increased to 2 packs a day.   Dad has been gone 17 years, and his death was not related to smoking.  Mom is now 87 and still smokes like a chimney!   She would absolutely choose cigarettes over food any day.   

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My mom spent a lifetime studying Indian history, habits, lore and crafts.  She was very knowledgeable about the ancient Anasazi cliff dwellers.  If you displayed the slightest interest, she was set to give an extensive lecture until your eyes glazed over.  Family joke.... don't press the Anasazi button. 

I would have loved to meet your mother.  I am interested in all kinds of nationalities and religions.  It's fun to learn about history and people who came before us.

Valued Contributor

@rms1954 @I am so sorry that this was your experience. Having a parent with mental health/addiction issues is so painful and damaging to a child’s self esteem and especially difficult on these days that celebrate the ideal of motherly love. You can be proud of yourself that you chose to rise above it and follow a better path.

Honored Contributor

My mom has been gone a long time now, but I honestly can't think of a thing she ever did to drive me crazy.  We got on very well together.

If anything, it was the other way around!  (I often wonder how she survived my early teen years.)

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@QVCkitty1 ...Nothing....in my eyes, my mom was near to perfect and I aspire to be just like her as much as I can.

Me too, I'm very blessed to have had her in my life.

Respected Contributor

I love my mom, but she loves to criticize me.  From her point of view, she thinks she is doing her job to try to make me a better person. But it is so exhausting and demoralizing for me.  She would say something like, "you need to lose some weight" or " you should have make your children bilingual, so and so's children spoke two languages perfectly."  I know she means well, but it is very hard on me.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1  There is nothing my mom did or said that annoyed me. She has been gone for over 20 years & I miss her everyday.

I am the woman, wife & mother I am today because of her example.Her unconditional love is what has given me the strength & courage to navigate through the ups & downs of my life.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom worked as an executive secretary and looked great all week.  Crisp blouses, pencil skirt, high heels, snazzy bag, make up and hair all looking good.  On the weekend, during one hot summer, she had these gosh awful flowered pedal pushers she wore with some sleeveless top.  I HATED those shorts and "had" to go to the grocery store and errands with her wearing them. You know how teenagers are. I had to be fully dressed in a cute outfit to take out the garbage in the dark yet. Anyway, she persisted in wearing them and I snuck out and buried them in the garden and blamed it on our beagle puppy. He was so cute, he would NEVER get in trouble. I was 15 when I did this terrible thing and I never confessed to what I did until I was 50 !! When I told her, she ran out and bought another pair just like them to tease me. Heart I miss her every day.