Honored Contributor

I'd take my mom here with us, no matter what.  No one is perfect.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your stories, I have always thought it's our quirks that people remember fondly.  I hope my little habits come up years from now when family stories are told.  No matter what your experiences, I hope you have a good Mother's Day if at all possible. 🌷🌺🌷

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: I Love my Mom but...

[ Edited ]

My mother refused to use those newfangled seatbelts in cars because she believed that in an accident she wanted to be able to jump out of the car.

My mother is long gone, but on a less humorous light than the above anecdote, she still looms over me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: I Love my Mom but...

[ Edited ]

@RedTop   my mother’s smoking habit also.  She probably smoked two packs a day.  My mom and dad quit at 47 and 50.  Three days later mom was smoking.  My dad quit for life and is 83.  My mom died at 59.  On her deathbed she was crying that she should have quit when dad did.  It was one of the saddest things she ever shared with me.  Although I remember so many wonderful things about her, this is my last memory of her, and it breaks my heart still.  

Contributor

I loved most everything about my mom. This will be my first mothers day without her. I'd give anything to have her back for five minutes just so I can tell her one more time how much I love her!

Super Contributor

My mom and I are not close-she was verbally and physically abusive to us.  But the thing that did, and still does, drive me crazy is that she thinks she is a great cook, when she is a horrible cook!  

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

My parents "tried" to quit smoking several times, but I never once felt their efforts were sincere.  

I saw that they "tried" when the cost per carton would rise, and when my brothers and I would get quite verbal over their nasty habit. 

At 3 years old, my mother was hiding under the front porch waiting for someone to toss their cigarette into the yard.  She would crawl out, grab it, and puff away until it went out.   Mom has craved cigarettes her entire life and smoking obviously contributed to her TIA, which is connected to her diagnosis of vascular dementia.   However, my 87 year old Mom only takes a low dose BP med and thyroid medication.  She is not on oxygen, has no wheeze, or exhibits any physical issue from her lifetime of smoking!   

Super Contributor

I love my mom, but.... she is not a good driver! She's been fortunate to avoid accidents, but she's had way too many "close calls" for my comfort.

Respected Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

@momoftwo2007  Of course it is hard on you when you are constantly judged and criticized by the person you most want to support you. You say you know she means well. Maybe so, maybe not, but this type of behavior is very undermining to one’s self esteem and your deserve better. She will probably never change but you can protect yourself from the damaging effects of her behavior with the right kind of supportive counseling or even self help reading. Good luck and Happy Mother’s Day to you.

@nevergivesup Thank you!! And Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Honored Contributor

After she passed away, she became perfect in every way.  But before that, I loved her dearly but I didn't love that she insisted on buying me presents.  My girls too.  She was a big time QVC and HSN customer, she also bought from every catalog in existence.  Money was not a problem for her and she was very generous but she bought presents that SHE wanted us to have.  Not necessarily presents that WE wanted or needed.  It made her happy and there was no way to tell her that much of what she purchased ended up in the attic or we donated or regifted.  Now, I would give anything in the world to receive a Mother's Day gift that I hate from her.