Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Love Lucy Episode, and Today's Vanity Sizing

@handygal2

Yes, Lucy on the subway with the trophy on her head.

This very episode was on this morning.

She was going with Ethel to have it removed, she lost Ethel getting off subway and

got back on. A policeman took her to the award show with Ricky and they took a 

picture of her with her head upside down. So funny. I did not remember this one!

Honored Contributor

@threecees: That's a coincidence-- l didn't see it this morning.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I have watched all the Lucy episodes so many times I know the scripts!  Like the Honeymooners, the show is timeless and still funny in my opinion.

As far as size is concerned, if you are comfortable, feel secure and confident about yourself and most importantly are healthy, who cares what size you are.  In today's world women's sizes include all shapes and figures and it is about time.

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderwwrote:

I have watched all the Lucy episodes so many times I know the scripts!  Like the Honeymooners, the show is timeless and still funny in my opinion.

As far as size is concerned, if you are comfortable, feel secure and confident about yourself and most importantly are healthy, who cares what size you are.  In today's world women's sizes include all shapes and figures and it is about time.

@spiderw Perfectly stated.I agree with everything you said!!

Super Contributor

Back in the day when I was at that 117 mark, 5'7-1/2" it was a size 12 all the way.  Never had a problem with sizing.  If it was a 12 I knew it would fit.  

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

@handygal2wrote:

I was just watching a hilarious episode of I Love Lucy (actually, they're ALL hilarious, IMO). It's Season 1, Episode 3: "The Diet," and aired way back in 1951.

Desi needs a last-minute replacement dancer, for the lead part dancing with him in his show. The costume of the woman she is replacing is a size 12. Lucy wants the part, but in order to fit into the costume, she needs to lose 12 pounds in less than a week. She starves herself, and exercises into oblivion, and she reaches her goal of 120 pounds. And she dances in the show...

So, back in the day, if you were 5 feet 7 inches tall, and weighed 120 pounds, you wore a size 12?? And a size 12 was a dancer's size?? Talk about EXTREME vanity sizing going on today!! I think now that would be a size 6!!

Personally, l don't care what size it says on the tags of my clothing, as long as they fit well and are flattering.

What channel is I Love Lucy usually on? It used to come on MeTV early morning and it was rotated out like some others. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess: I watched it this morning on Decades TV.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about the 50's, I'm 57 but I know that in my senior year of h.s. I was size 12 after I'd dieted myself down to a 145lbs.  That would be a size 8 today.

Respected Contributor

When I was a teenager, (the mid to late 60s) I worked in a small family owned department store.  We had a Misses and Junior department.  The size range in the former was 8-16 and the latter 5-15.  Both ends of the size ranges were lesser in quantity. 

In the early 1970s size 6 and size 3 became available.  It wasn't until the late 70s size 4 appeared. (and eventually 2)

My weight never fluctuated by more than 10 pounds but my size dropped from 6 to 4 and now 2 or 4.  Size 0 was never an option.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1wrote:

When I was a teenager, (the mid to late 60s) I worked in a small family owned department store.  We had a Misses and Junior department.  The size range in the former was 8-16 and the latter 5-15.  Both ends of the size ranges were lesser in quantity. 

In the early 1970s size 6 and size 3 became available.  It wasn't until the late 70s size 4 appeared. (and eventually 2)

My weight never fluctuated by more than 10 pounds but my size dropped from 6 to 4 and now 2 or 4.  Size 0 was never an option.

@lulu1: And now there's even a size 00 offered. The concept of a size "nothing" and "less than nothing" is difficult for me to grasp...