Honored Contributor

@icezeus    Unemployment Insurance was never meant to be a payment to cover living expenses.  It was designed to just cover job-hunting expenses, although it has evolved to considerably more than that.   It varies by state but you can look up the states' maximum benefit amounts as set by the legislatures.  Some are quite generous. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus

I must agree there will always be some people who take advantage of the system. 

I have  younger family members who had to work throughout the pandemic. I know another one who did volunteer work in the community during the height of the crisis. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624  Early this morning local news here in Florida reported that even if all those looking for jobs found them, we would still have thousands of unfilled jobs.  No details about what kinds of jobs remain open, where those jobs are, and not a peep ever about where the extra people are going to come from.   

Amazon's deep pockets should help them find workers -- assuming enough unemployed or unhappily employed elsewhere live relatively close.  All I hope is that some of that money is going to send out climate-friendly trucks because in my cul de sac, we see 3 and often more of their vehicles 7 days a week.  

@millieshops   There are people who have quit their jobs and still not looking for work. So, how are they paying rent, feeding their families, etc.? 

@Shanus They are on the newest wage-earning program.  They are on the dole!  That's the only answer.  Because you asked the right question.  

@Sooner 

I don't think them being "on the dole" is the only answer to that question.  Off the top of my head, there are other contributing possibilities .... a few examples ......  people combined households and moved in with family.  They scaled down considerably.  They are slowly depleting their savings.  They are now part of the "gig economy" and work various gigs, as opposed to one actual full time position.  Many possibilities, depending on the person's family, savings and circumstances.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Understand that I don't have much excitement in my life but I was elated to see my first, bight, shiny, Prime delivery truck.  Amazon hasn't had a presence in Albuquerque but they're finishing up a brand-new very large distribution center.  Now if only they can find 1,000 or so workers to staff the place. 

@Kachina624 

Well, the good thing about leading a slightly dull life is that you can arrange to add excitement and drama as you see fit .....  as opposed to drama and chaos smashing into your life with no warning whatsoever.   Now that's excitement I can do without!  lol

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Understand that I don't have much excitement in my life but I was elated to see my first, bight, shiny, Prime delivery truck.  Amazon hasn't had a presence in Albuquerque but they're finishing up a brand-new very large distribution center.  Now if only they can find 1,000 or so workers to staff the place. 

@Kachina624 

I have to laugh because I saw one drive by when I was at the vet's office today.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee    Were you excited?  Now we're just like the real cities!  We have Prime Delivery.  Now if we could just get them in less than 4 days. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee    Were you excited?  Now we're just like the real cities!  We have Prime Delivery.  Now if we could just get them in less than 4 days. 

@Kachina624   You will and sometimes the same day. You will continue to be excited everytime you see one pass by.

That's all the excitement you need.

Your dog will also let you know. They always know.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04    My dogs don't even bark at the UPS truck.  They think that man is part of the family and belongs here, he comes so often. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I Lead A Dull Life

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 I can't believe we got a Prime center before you did.  Ours was up and running about 2 years ago and they keep building on.  It's at the OKC airport.  

Side note:  It is after 5 p.m. now and mail still not here.  A couple weeks ago it was here before 9:15 most days.  Is it it the Christmas Rush already?  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Kachina624  Early this morning local news here in Florida reported that even if all those looking for jobs found them, we would still have thousands of unfilled jobs.  No details about what kinds of jobs remain open, where those jobs are, and not a peep ever about where the extra people are going to come from.   

Amazon's deep pockets should help them find workers -- assuming enough unemployed or unhappily employed elsewhere live relatively close.  All I hope is that some of that money is going to send out climate-friendly trucks because in my cul de sac, we see 3 and often more of their vehicles 7 days a week.  

@millieshops   There are people who have quit their jobs and still not looking for work. So, how are they paying rent, feeding their families, etc.? 

@Shanus They are on the newest wage-earning program.  They are on the dole!  That's the only answer.  Because you asked the right question.  

@Sooner 

I don't think them being "on the dole" is the only answer to that question.  Off the top of my head, there are other contributing possibilities .... a few examples ......  people combined households and moved in with family.  They scaled down considerably.  They are slowly depleting their savings.  They are now part of the "gig economy" and work various gigs, as opposed to one actual full time position.  Many possibilities, depending on the person's family, savings and circumstances.  

@Tinkrbl44 Yep.  People don't have to work now, they live off others.  So jobs go begging.