Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE When I Get Things for Free!

Just now I was out on my back deck, when I saw three young men looking at my neighbor's tree in his back yard.

I asked if they were going to trim it, and they said that they were!

Woo-hoo!

The tree hasn't been cut in at least two years, and is badly overgrown.

This is the same tree that this past fall, I had trimmed several branches from, that had grown over my side of the fence.

I still had the debris from my cutting, but hadn't disposed of it yet.

I saw that they had a wood chipper with them, so I decided to ask them if they could remove the branches that I had cut off from the tree, and they said that they would!

Yea!

And it free to me!😊😊😊

I 💗💕 getting things for free!😊

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I LOVE When I Get Things for Free!

Maybe you could do something nice for someone and keep it going. Giving is often better than receiving.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saving a few bucks is nice, but I always feel funny about free. When our tree fell in a storm $1500 was quoted to remove it. Then a neighbor offered to do it free if he could have the wood. We accepted of course, but decided all his work was worth $300 and took it over, giving him no option other than to accept. We felt it was the right thing to do.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   How nice!  

I have a neighbor who's backyard connects to my back fence.  For 25 plus years it was an over grown mess of weeds....trees....ivy etc. never cleaned up.  For years I had to go on his side of my fence to clear off the overgrown ivy...one year one of His trees   fell over during a wind storm and broke my fence...$$$$.

last Spring, out of nowhere....he had a crew clear out the weedy mess for over a week..... cleaned it all up. 

I am so happy that now it is no longer a fire hazard  of overgrowth or impeding on my fence and yard.   👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏

Esteemed Contributor

And the branches are GONE!😊

Some of the tree cuttings are falling in to my yard, and they asked if they could enter my yard to retrieve them.

Of course I said, "Sure!" .

I told them that I would leave the gate open for them to enter as needed.

They appreciated that.

I have to admit though, seeing a person standing on a swaying branch high up in a tree, gives me heart palpitations!😄

I know that he's harnessed in and all, but still!

Tree trimming is one job that I could not do.

Me + heights + chainsaw.

Yeah, might as well have the ambulance sitting at the curb, because that would be the recipe for an accident just waiting to happen.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Saving a few bucks is nice, but I always feel funny about free. When our tree fell in a storm $1500 was quoted to remove it. Then a neighbor offered to do it free if he could have the wood. We accepted of course, but decided all his work was worth $300 and took it over, giving him no option other than to accept. We felt it was the right thing to do.

That was very kind of you. So many people nowadays are just looking for something free. And then bragging about it. Very sad. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Thanks for sharing such an uplifting story. You are all wonderful neighbors!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I certainly hope you gave them something.  ($$)

Honored Contributor

Yes, one would certainly hope so. But, then again...

Honored Contributor

The summer before last, we had to remove our beautiful blue spruce tree that was listing in our front yard.  It was around 30 ft high and 20ft around.    it was so beautifu, but all the rain we had caused it to lean over and the root ball was coming out of the ground.

The kids and their parents stood right there in our yard to wait for the school bus.  I put signs up and caution tape to keep them away until it could be removed. I was terrified it would fall on them. The tree service said it would have come down and killed them and he was surprised it was still standing.  They just pushed it over.

When they were here, I asked if they could remove a massive white pine tree.  It was on the corner area of our lot and had grown over 4 different properties by at least 20 ft  in all four directions.  In order to do so easily, we had to ask a neighbor if the chipper truck and the truck with the basket could be driven on their driveway and accross their back lawn.  They were kind and said yes.  They were probably thrilled to have that tree removed.

My son had to have quite a few trees removed from his property.  They were in danger of breaking and falling onto his neighbor house.  His back yard is against a steep hill that is wooded and he is boxed in on both sides by neighbors.  His neighbor refused to let the trimmers come onto their property to complete the work which caused my son to have to pay a fortune to have everything hauled away by hand to the front of his house to be chipped.

It is so nice when you have good neighbors who cooperate for the good of everyone.  It is nice as well when business are kind and do a small job for no cost as they did for the OP.  I am sure she will recommend them if somone asks for a reliable tree trimming service provider.  It is a win win for all.