Valued Contributor

I Know This Subject Has Been Brought Up Before

but I wanted to tell you this. Every Thurs. my grandson comes over after school. He gets out at 1:30. My daughter drops him off and we get to spend the rest of the afternoon together. He loves anything that is mechanical. I always have towels in the washer. Dishes in the dishwasher. And goes ahead and starts them. I forgot to mention he is 11yrs. old. I am also teaching him to play the piano.. Yesterday to my surprise he asked me if I would teach him to write in cursive. I was thrilled. He is in sixth grade and they do not have cursive in his school. My other grandson who is also the same age goes to a different school and they teach cursive there. Well anyway we are going to start learning cursive. I am so glad he wants to do it. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Know This Subject Has Been Brought Up Before

Your grandson sounds like a bright , curious boy and he is lucky to have  you as a grandma.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

That's wonderful!

Honored Contributor

I love hearing this.  What a joy to have such a wonderful young man in your life and everyday at that!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

That sounds fun! If you have a teaching supply store near you, they sell the beginning cursive workbooks and practice sheets. I loved filling those out when I was a kid.

I went to a local teaching supply store a few years ago and bought some for myself to use, the same way people use adult coloring books. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

How nice for both of you,

Image result for enjoy word pics

Respected Contributor

Your grandson sounds like a smart kid, who is not afraid to think outside the box.  A very nice quality in anyone. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@hovis

Bless you for being such a positive influence on your grandson!  It's a shame IMO that they don't teach this in his school.  The fact that he wants to learn it is proof of that.  You say he gets out at 1:30 p.m.?  Seems to me that's a pretty short day.  Maybe they could keep the kids longer and teach them how to write!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Plus he will be able to read historical documents!  Bravo to both of you!

Valued Contributor

I wish cursive was still taught in school. Everyone can use writing faster. My son learned iin third grade, but his teacher told the class they didn't have to continue it! How can they get the hang of it if they go back to what they know which was printing? I tried to convince my son to continue cursive, but often saw his school papers he went back to what he was used to. To state my case to him, I watch a lot of ID channel and each time they showed a killer's writing, it was printing! I'd point to the TV several times per week easily on that one! He's out of school now and still notices that on ID.