Valued Contributor

Re: I Know This Subject Has Been Brought Up Before

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

Good for you, I agree, teach him cursive! I taught my youngest granddaughter the other year because she never had it in school. My middle granddaughter had it briefly in grade school but never used it again, so I taught her how to write her name in cursive b.c shes ready to drive so why do they stop this when they still have to sign licenses and documents!? Its ridiculous! My oldest granddaughter knows cursive and I might add she graduated at the top of her class because she used cursive to write everything through out school to memorize (even though they had netbooks). So stopping cursive in schools is wrong IMO as we are still having to sign our names arent we?

You do not have to sign you name in cursive on any legal document. 

Esteemed Contributor

To me it's absurd that some school districts no longer teach cursive writing. What is the meaning of a signature these days? And what if someone wants to leave a short note? Are we dooming subsequent generations to the inability to write? I've also heard that telling time by the clock is no longer taught. Sure, you can turn on your phone and get the date and time but what if you travel to a place where you need to look at a clock? This is just plain loony.

To the original poster, your grandson reminds me of my grandson. He just graduated from college and has a good job and a lovely girlfriend. I'm very proud of him. He, too, expressed curiosity about the way things worked and expressed endless curiosity. Enjoy these moments with him because they'll be gone before you know it. On the other hand, I can tell you from experience that if you have built a strong relationship, it will continue. My grandson calls every week and we still have wonderful conversations. I feel blessed.

Respected Contributor

I'm surprised to read that students that learned cursive have already forgotten it.  There are only 26 letters in the alphabet.  Some cursive capitals look similar to the corresponding printed capital.  Also in some cases, the upper and lower case differ only in size. It's not like you need to learn hundreds of symbols and letters.