Trusted Contributor

Re: I Know It's Only TV, but.....

Several years ago, I had a complete kitchen reno AND there wasn't a sledgehammer in sight - LOL. In fact, the crew was so careful with the outgoing items because we found a place for everything to be donated and that included all the cabinets AND appliances.  i didn't even know things like that could be donated, but it was my contractor who asked me if I'd be willing to do that.  I was glad to do it.

What irks me about these shows is they're so scripted.  No reno goes without a major problem that's going to set the owners back thousands of dollars.  The one that drives me nuts is Love It or List It.  Give me a break.  ALL these owners know well beforehand what's up with the house because the show would never commit to doing an episode otherwise.  What if a major structural problem occurred in the middle of the reno such as the foundation was cracked?  The only reason I watch any of these shows is to see the final few minutes when they have staged the house.  I love the decorating ideas.

Respected Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

it makes me shake my head when these renovation shows destroy kitchen cabinets, islands, etc., when such items could reused in the garage or in the laundry room or given to Habitat for Humanity resale stores, or even put on the curb with a "free" sign. I don't watch these shows to see someone swinging a sledge hammer---I want to see ideas.

When I was remodeling 3 bathrooms, the woman I was working with where I purchased faucets, tubs, sinks, etc. gave me a card of a business that takes the old ones.  They would take cabinets too.  Instead of tossing in dumpster, it would go to better use.

Valued Contributor

I saw one of those house flipping shows years ago.  The "flippers"  weren't experienced to say the least.   Rather than unbolting and removing the toilet,  this idiot actually took a sledge hammer and smashed the toilet to pieces. How stupid is that.  Probably took an hour to clean up all the slivers everywhere.

Respected Contributor

Destruction = viewers. DH came into the room yesterday and said he was surprised they had a new show coming on on blowing up stuff. Just what we need.

Honored Contributor

On some shows, I've heard them say the items are heading to HFH. So many times the stuff is nice enough to be used again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only WISH I had some of the kitchens that they put a sledge hammer to... most of them are SO MUCH nicer before demolition  than the kitchen I have.   

Esteemed Contributor

@D Kay 

Exactly my point.  Not to mention the potential damage to the floors and walls.  So unnecessary.

It just defies understanding, and precisely why I don't watch these shows.

Honored Contributor

Very good point.  Habitat for Humanity would pick those up in a heartbeat. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I had my bedroom and bath renovated they took even the walls down.  But they saved what was good.  They asked me if I wanted it, if not they take the good stuff.  Especially functioning faucets and sinks.  Cabinets they like to keep, as they use them in garages and sheds.

the only show I ever watched was rehab addict.  The other shows i don't care for.  I must be the only person in tv creation that didnt like that chip barnes and his wife.  I mean I didn't like the show.  I don't know them to like or dislike them personally. I cannot tolerate the twin men who rip houses apart.  I know it is a schtick, but tears me apart to watch them.

Honored Contributor

The nonsensical nature of so many of these rehab shows is one of the biggest reasons, I've pretty much stopped watching HGTV and others of that ilk. I used to enjoy some of the older decorating shows but most of those featured, and seemingly endlessly so, over the past decade or so are just tiresome.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...