Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just got a call from the fraud department from my Chase Visa card. Apparently $11.97 has tried to be charged to my credit card in August, October, and today. Supposedly it was charged to Amazon, which I do purchase from but never with this card. I'm being issued a new card. Just wanted to say be on the lookout for small charges to your statements which can go unnoticed, big purchases like trips for thousands of dollars are easier to spot. 

@Jordan2Do you have Amazon Prime? That is about the amount that I pay each month.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Just Got A Call

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree  Debit cards are usually VISA cards and the same as a credit card when purchasing online.  I always use credit when using my debit card instead of the password for local purchases also since it's easier to recover when hacked.  I've had mine used several times for purchases I did not make.  Purchases online from debit are all made as credit card purchases.  I've never had issues with any of my credit cards.  Your identity can be stolen just as easily with a debit card hack so there is actually no difference except that your bank account can be drained quickly - money needed for daily living and bills which causes immediate issues!  That happened to a friend and they got all her checking, Christmas  club and savings which left her frantically calling creditors trying to explain.  It took nearly a month to get her money back.  All my credit cards notify me if a purchase isn't from anywhere where I usually purchase or for products I never buy or if it's an in store purchase from a store not close to where I live so I find credit cards much safer.  Also, Visa was the one who notified my  bank that possible fraud purchases had been made with my debit card and put a hold on them until I could check it out. 

Respected Contributor

It has happened to me several time and they've been very small amounts too. Sometimes it makes me want to go back to carrying cash!

Esteemed Contributor

Glad Chase watches out for credit card purchases. I have their card but a different bank for savings and checking. The banks are now asking for more information about you when you go in. 

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just got a call from the fraud department from my Chase Visa card. Apparently $11.97 has tried to be charged to my credit card in August, October, and today. Supposedly it was charged to Amazon, which I do purchase from but never with this card. I'm being issued a new card. Just wanted to say be on the lookout for small charges to your statements which can go unnoticed, big purchases like trips for thousands of dollars are easier to spot. 

@Jordan2Do you have Amazon Prime? That is about the amount that I pay each month.

@VenturaHighway, I do have Amazon Prime but have always paid the $99 annual fee at one time and I always use my Amazon Visa card for purchases on the website. If I actually owe it I will pay it. 

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

It has happened to me several time and they've been very small amounts too. Sometimes it makes me want to go back to carrying cash!

When it happened to us, I was told by the cc company that it's usually a test to see if it makes it through.

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield I remember in the days of cash people were robbed of their purses and wallets.I think we will always be robbed no matter how we try to stop it.

Respected Contributor

When I purchase online I use a one time only number that I get from my credit card co. (just call or e them ) Good for that one purchase ONLY! Save me  (and DH) a lot of worries and headaches.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Had a political candidate charge numerous $5 political donations to my card in 2008 and again in 2012.  Had a very hard time getting them removed but eventually did.

Great way to lose votes!

Honored Contributor

It's funny, as I was on the phone last night with my credit card company (watching The Voice) on The Middle Mike had the very same problem! His card was charged about $5 and he and Frankie thought the charge was fradulent!