Honored Contributor

Re: I Have to Have My Fillings Replaced :-(

While no dental work is permanent I would be getting a second opinion about needing to replace all the almagen fillings at once.  Mine were replaced over the years when the need arose. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

While no dental work is permanent I would be getting a second opinion about needing to replace all the almagen fillings at once.  Mine were replaced over the years when the need arose. 

Then I assume you agree with my post, right before yours!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, your post is very gracious. Woman Happy

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I went to a new dentist yesterday. I wasn't happy with the dentist that I had been seeing, so I decided to switch.

When I was a child in the '70's, I had my cavities filled with amalgam, the silver stuff.

For over a year, I have been tasting metal in my mouth, and I mentioned it to my old dentist. He wasn't concerned about it.

Yesterday, before I even said anything, my new dentist said that my fillings were leaking.

I said, "That's why I can taste them!"

She said yes, that was why.

So now, in two weeks, I will go in and get half of them replaced, then at the end of the month, get the other side done.

I guess she doesn't want to put me through all that torture all at once.

I am not looking forward to having it done, even though I know that it needs to be done.

Has anybody here ever had their fillings replaced?

Was it painful?

I am a wimp when it comes to dental pain.

What was your experience?

Two things come to mind ..... first, replaced with WHAT?

Secondly, if you're getting enough novacaine, you still might want a little something for anxiety .... valium or whatever they're using these days.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I went to a new dentist yesterday. I wasn't happy with the dentist that I had been seeing, so I decided to switch.

When I was a child in the '70's, I had my cavities filled with amalgam, the silver stuff.

For over a year, I have been tasting metal in my mouth, and I mentioned it to my old dentist. He wasn't concerned about it.

Yesterday, before I even said anything, my new dentist said that my fillings were leaking.

So now, in two weeks, I will go in and get half of them replaced, then at the end of the month, get the other side done.

I am not looking forward to having it done, even though I know that it needs to be done.

Was it painful?

Two things come to mind ..... first, replaced with WHAT?

Secondly, if you're getting enough novacaine, you still might want a little something for anxiety .... valium or whatever they're using these days.

She would be having her amalgam (silver) fillings replaced with white composite fillings. We have more than our share of dentists and hygienists among my relatives. I worked as a dental assistant part time while I was in college.

I'm sure that some of the OP's old fillings do need to be replaced, but when a dentist says they ALL need to be replaced, I would get another opinion. What you taste in your mouth is not from the metal, it is from the leakage (bacteria). There is no doubt decay under some of those leaky fillings. Your mouth has been full of metal for years, and you weren't tasting the metal originally, were you? Don't be surprised if when the dentist is drilling, she ends up stating that you need a root canal or two because the decay is near the pulp (nerve).

As far as dentists making a lot of money off replacing silver fillings goes, there are some that are doing that based on the premise that prevention is the best medicine. There are others that are waiting for the old restoration to become leaky...and then replace it. Yet, there are others who are stilll placing silver fillings. Yes, there are some that are looking at you as a big, high $$ case.

In this case, your dentist stands to make a lot of money off all these new composite restorations...and insurance does not cover as much on a composite restoration. Get another opinion...and not one from a cosmetic dentist. He would probably want to crown every tooth. Whatever you decide, have your dentist preauthorize the procedures with your insurance (if you have it), as then you will know in advance how much it is going to cost you. Good luck.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Even if you do get a second opinion  I would get them replaced anyway!  How wonderful to be free of having a mouth full of mercury!  If I could afford it (insurance won't pay to just replace unless there is a problem) I would have it done.

Honored Contributor

As for root canals possibly causing cancer...I have no idea!  However it does make sense to me that a root canal can cause some possible problems down the road with nasty infections.

I've been there and have been dealing with such problems for a few years.  The dilemma is do I remove the tooth and if I do do I then get an implant or bridge with very little insurance coverage, etc.  I could not decide so in the meanwhile I have been swishing 3% hydrogen peroxide and olive leaft extract (just not at the same time) in my mouth and so far so good!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Was it painful?

If you had your fillings done in the 70s I'm not surprised they need to be replaced, they weren't meant to last a lifetime.....they are 30+ years old....."leaking" fillings have nothing to do with you tasting metal........it simply means the margins have broken away either by age or recurrent decay and will over time fall out, if the problem is not addressed..........fillings stay in your tooth due to undercuts that are done when the tooth is prepped.....think of a dove tail in wood working....over time they break down.

as to tasting metal, that may have more to do the acidity of your saliva reacting with the copper in the alloy then anything.................................raven

If you had your fillings done in the 70s I'm not surprised they need to be replaced, they weren't meant to last a lifetime.....they are 30+ years old....."leaking" fillings have nothing to do with you tasting metal........it simply means the margins have broken away either by age or recurrent decay and will over time fall out, if the problem is not addressed..........fillings stay in your tooth due to undercuts that are done when the tooth is prepped.....think of a dove tail in wood working....over time they break down.

ETA.........since neither amalgam nor composites expand or contract, in reaction to heat or cold, at the same ratio as dentin or enamal, all fillings leak

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

Why dont you get another opinion? Telling you that you have leaking fillings sounds bizarre to me. 

I thought so too until I googled it.  Yes, fillings can leak.  Check it out.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Was it painful?

I've had mine replaced several years ago, no big deal.