Frequent Contributor

As you may know, five weeks ago, I lost my dear, sweet, lovable cat of 15 years, Blackie. I've been mourning him, missing him ever since. It's gotten better for me, but truthfully, I'll never stop missing, nor loving Blackie, but at the same time I knew that I needed to "move on", so to speak.

I've been looking on line at local pet adoption agencies, such as the local animal shelter, PetFinder, etc, but I always hesitated. I was afraid of getting that attached to another life, and going through that heart-break and pain again. I mean, it killed me to loose Blackie.

Today, I went to look at kittens that were up for adoption from a local adoption agency, just outside of Petco. I swear, I was just going to look. I decided to take my carrier, just in case, but I wasn't planning on bringing a kitten home.

I saw a medium-haired, male kitten, and I asked to hold him. He was so rambunctious, and energetic. He wanted to get down and explore, yet he was purring.

How could I turn him away?

In the end, I couldn't.

Before I knew it, I was saying, "I guess I'll take him."

The only reason that I hesitated was because the kitten was solid black, like Blackie. I wasn't looking for a (pardon the unintended pun) copy-cat of Blackie. There will never be a "copy-cat" version of Blackie.

I went inside of Petco and bought almost $100 worth of toys, food and non-clumping litter.

The adoption fee was $66.

So, I with that, I brought home Cody.

He is 2 1/2 months old, has already been neutered, has had a dose of Revolution, been vaccinated against rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia.

When my other cat, Charlie saw Cody, they sniffed each other, and Charlie hissed at Cody. I tried to pet and fuss over Charlie, but he wanted nothing to do with me. He was mad at me, and I'm sure his feelings were hurt.

I'll have to pay extra attention to him to reassure him that I (still) love him, that he's still #1.

When I'm at work, I'll keep Cody in my bathroom with his food and water, and litter box. Of course the lid to the toilet will be down!

So, that's how I aquired my newest family member, Cody. I hope that we will have a long and happy relationship together.