Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Good for you for cutting the tree limb that was encroching on your space.

But I adore possums. They are so smart and such good mothers, love em. I love most animals, not many exceptions. Edited to add, I can understand why you wouldn't want them pitterpattering on your roof!

@Porcelain   ... I love animals too but, one of my exceptions is the possum .... they scare me & remind me of big rats .... sorry😪😢

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Usually any trees that touch or fall on electrical lines will be taken care of by the electric company.

It may have been on your neighbors property but the result was a hazard concerning the electrical line.

It does not cost anyone anything due to the fact it is a safety hazard and actually the company prefers that people do no do the job.

I will keep your secret.

Oops, you live in California, maybe things are different there.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have Been Busy!

[ Edited ]

I live in the county and in our area we have free curbside pickup for lawn debris, once a week.

Does your area offer this?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

Usually any trees that touch or fall on electrical lines will be taken care of by the electric company.

It may have been on your neighbors property but the result was a hazard concerning the electrical line.

It does not cost anyone anything due to the fact it is a safety hazard and actually the company prefers that people do no do the job.

I will keep your secret.

Oops, you live in California, maybe things are different there.

@chiclets 

I honestly don't know, but I feel proud of myself for trimming my side of the tree.

One branch that I removed was 10 inches around.

Now when the winter storms come, I won't have to worry about one breaking off and coming through the roof of my home!

Also, no possums on the roof.

They are not the cutest of animals.

They have their place in the ecosystem, but I prefer that they stay away from me.

Oh, and I never leave one crumb of food out for the wildlife.

That's just asking for trouble.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I live in the County in our area and we have free curbside pickup for lawn debris, once a week.

Does your area offer this?

@KingstonsMom 

They do for a fee.

This is the first time since I moved here two years that I have had any large amount of green waste that I need to dispose of.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I have three 50 foot beech nut trees next to my house.  They were planted over 130 years ago.  Just one branch weighs hundreds of pounds, and when they drop, they can damage anything below!  DH gets out the chainsaw and cuts them in pieces to drop into the trash for a few weeks.  Sometimes the neighbors will take logs for firewood.

I have to wait for the Winter when the trees become dormant for the tree people to come and trim them.

They bring machines that turn the monster branches into mulch.  Taking care of trees can be costly!

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  Love your post!  Possums or Opossum are great.  I believe they're the only marcupials in North America. They are great for the environment as they clean up all the garbage strewn around by us. The more we learn about our fellow creatures the better off we'll all be.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets 

It's unfortunate that people don't realize the dangers of inadvertently coming in contact with a live wire:  imho the untility companies do not make the general public aware of the  dangers of electricution. though common sense and caution should prevail, that's not always the case.