Honored Contributor

I Have A Question About Streaming Services

I am relatively new to streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and AppleTV. Netflix and Amazon seem to drop all of the episodes at the same time so you can watch the whole season at once. I am watching the second season of Castle Rock on Hulu, I watched five episodes, I think there are ten and they are released on Wednesdays each week. I noticed Hulu did this with The Handmaid's Tale. I haven't watched AppleTV yet so I don't know how this works, but is this the norm for Hulu? I thought the whole point of streaming was we could binge watch a season and not have to wait for episodea to be released each week like network TV?

Super Contributor

Re: I Have A Question About Streaming Services

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am relatively new to streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and AppleTV. Netflix and Amazon seem to drop all of the episodes at the same time so you can watch the whole season at once. I am watching the second season of Castle Rock on Hulu, I watched five episodes, I think there are ten and they are released on Wednesdays each week. I noticed Hulu did this with The Handmaid's Tale. I haven't watched AppleTV yet so I don't know how this works, but is this the norm for Hulu? I thought the whole point of streaming was we could binge watch a season and not have to wait for episodea to be released each week like network TV?

Some streaming/subscription services drop a whole season, some one episode a week, and some multiple episodes but not the whole season. Personally, I only have Prime, then add/substract other subscription channels when there is a full season of a show that I want to watch.

Honored Contributor

That is the way Netflix works

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

It is the norm for Hulu and some others and that Disney+ plans to do the same.

I just read an article recently that hinted that other streaming services may follow suit and the days of binging an entire new season are over.

Honored Contributor

They can hold back and show them one by one if they want to but a lot of people are like me.

I often wait and let them sit on my DVR until I get ready to binge on things.

Right now I have a huge number of episodes of several shows.

I refuse to watch commercials or wait week to week.  I only do that when I am totally out of things to watch.

Nothing is important enough for me to watch week while it's on.  Even shows I really like on regular TV, I'll wait until the hour is over and then watch it.

My granddaughters taught me 'patience'.  They are not TV people.  When they watch a show, it's an old show and they're perfectly happy....no matter how much I try to talk them into watching something that I want them to explain it to me.  Ha!  

But you guys know how dense I am on some of these shows.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just read an article recently that hinted that other streaming services may follow suit and the days of binging an entire new season are over.

@Alison Wonderland oh pooh!

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Alison Wonderland oh pooh!

I actually like it this way. Binge watching is fun, but it makes it hard to talk to friends about a new show when some have finished the series and others are on episode 3 the day after the show premieres. 

It's nice to have everyone on the same page to talk about a show without worrying as much about spoilers. It's also easier to catch up to a new buzz-worthy show when you only have to watch one or two previous episodes instead of 10.