Esteemed Contributor

I Had a Light(ning) Show Last Night

[ Edited ]

Late last night, I was watching tv, when I noticed flashes of light.

Yup, it was lightning.

Where I live, PNW in California, along the coast, we don't get lightning all that often.

It was cloud-to-cloud lightning, with very little rain or wind.

For awhile, it was flash on top of flash on top of flash.

Funny thing was, I heard very little thunder, and my tv was turned off.

The cells were coming from the south.

The light show continues!

I just saw a flash of light, and heard the thunder.

Mother Nature sure can put on one heck of a beautiful light show!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Had a Light(ning) Show Last Night

[ Edited ]

We've had those kinds of storms here in South Texas all this week.....  Quite a lightning show!!!  Photos from our news station's website....

KENS 5 on Twitter: "Woodlawn Lake in San Antonio got a lightning ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

"Yup it was lightening."

Yup that's what flashes if light in the sky usually are. Unless it's an alien invasion which is unlikely.
Honored Contributor

The most recent and very rare spectacular storm was in Seattle in September 2019.  Washington state gets very few thunderstorms.  In fact, one weather forecaster said he lived in Seattle for 5 years, and he said he doesn't remember one thunderstorm there.  One reason is there isn't the key ingredients for such storms...warm temps & moister in the air. When it does get hot there it isn't always humid.  Another reason is that Washington state is not near a body of warm water. The result is they get fewer thunderstorms per square mile then any other state in the lower 48. It certainly does rain a lot.  Just minus the lightning.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2019/09/08/seattle-washington-lightning-strikes-vo-vpx.cnn

Honored Contributor

I was awake at about 3 a.m. and saw the lightning and heard the thunder. It lasted for maybe five minutes. At first I thought my sound machine had turned on all by itself! But no, because then I saw the lightning flashes.

And then the rain started. It was quite loud, with big drops. I got to my back door just in time to place the solar lights under shelter, and pull the wood bistro set under shelter, too. The patio is still wet this morning even after only about five minutes of rain.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'd been hoping for one more spectacular show from Mother Nature this year and she obliged very nicely! 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

We are having quite the thunderstorm going on right now in Seattle. Occassionally I see a lightening flash.

@Anonymous032819, seriously? You consider Ca. in the PNW? lol

Esteemed Contributor

We very rarely have any lighting here.  Like almost never.

But early this AM right at the exact second I was opening the bathroom blinds, we had big flash.  Just for a second I wondered it I was being scolded or killed.  Either one.

Valued Contributor

Had one this am over the Pacific Northwest.  Heavy rain and it was quite dark at 8 am.  We had a massive one last winter and it's very unusual for us to have storms like this.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

We are having quite the thunderstorm going on right now in Seattle. Occassionally I see a lightening flash.

@Anonymous032819, seriously? You consider Ca. in the PNW? lol

I live about 100 miles south of the Ca-Or boarder, along the coast. In fact, I can see the bay from my back deck.

I'm along the Pacific ocean.

It's in North-western California.

So yeah, I live in the Pacific northwest.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

The thunder was so strong at one point this morning that I thought it might be an earthquake.

I'm near Seattle.