Valued Contributor

Re: I Had To Exchange Ruined Money At The Bank Today

@Pearlee - new meaning for money laundering!  :-)

We did get a Farrah Fawcett dollar bill one time.  Someone had cut a picture of her from a magazine and pasted it over George (an exact fit too!).  We joked about celebrity money as a thing of the future.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we have done it. When my dog was a puppy she got my dad's wallet off the counter while we were sleeping. She ripped up a couple $20 bills.  He took it to the bank and got new bills.

Honored Contributor

Just rejoice that the mice ate the newspaper and not the money.   🤗

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have done that and apparently it's not a rare thing.  "Stuff happens" even to money.  When my girls were tweens, they were doing odd jobs and to make spending money for a family trip to Disney.  They'd been saving birthday money for two years too.  They saved it in a big cookie tin and they had the tin in the kitchen with them while they were cooking and dropped a bottle of maple syrup in their money can.  They didn't tell me for a day or two, I don't know why.  Probably because I was always telling them to stop counting that money.  It was hard lump of a mess.  God love the people at that bank!!  They replaced the bills that could be identified and they were "generous" with that.  The girl lost some of their money but not a whole lot.  Enough to teach them a lesson.  Also, when I was a kid, a few years after my grandfather died, my parents found cans full of bills mildewed bills in the attic.  The bank replaced the money.

Honored Contributor

I would have just thrown the money in the washing machine with some Tide and laundered it, then laid It flat to dry. It probably would have been usable and clean.  

I have taken  3/4 of a bill to the bank for an exchange with no problems.

Honored Contributor

Back in the early 70's my MIL had forgotten she had hid a couple hundred dollar bills inside her oven.

Not sure what type of container it was in but the money was sort of burnt.  Not crispy, but obviously burnt.

She took the burnt bills to the bank & the bank manager told her to come back the next day as they were going to replace all the burnt bills after "inspection."

I only know this story, beause at the time I was a stay at home mom w/a car who could take her to the bank the following day.  She was very embarrassed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Pearley wrote:

goldensrbest wrote:

@Pearley,Lighten up, only joking because of mice ,thread.

@goldensrbest  Perhaps if you would have put a smilie after your thread so I could tell you were trying to be humorous, you wouldn't have needed to admonish me to lighten up.  Which I don't think I need to do since I couldn't tell how you meant your post.

@Pearlee   

Smiley face or no smiley face--your reply is unfounded regardless in this post or any one I come across.   You're always in attack-mode, why?

Honored Contributor

Money is made out of cotton and linen.  There are no paper ingredients in it. 

I thought everyone knew that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee:  As a child in the 1950s, when the Fed no longer issued gold certificates (all paper money used to be called that), My Dad hand washed all his gold certificates, ironed them and put them away.  Although my Dad passed 18 years ago, those bills are now in my brother's possession.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I would have just thrown the money in the washing machine with some Tide and laundered it, then laid It flat to dry. It probably would have been usable and clean.  

I have taken  3/4 of a bill to the bank for an exchange with no problems.

Happens all the time at our house. I do not check pockets. If you put clothing to be washed - I wash it. And often there are freshly washed money on top of the load when it is finished. It really does wash nicely. AND if I am unable to figure out who money it might be - I keep it. The nicely washed money goes in my wallet.