Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 good for you to say something. Unfortunately this goes on more than you know at restaurants and that's why DH and I rarely go out to eat anymore. I could write a book at what goes on in restaurants with regard to customers, waiters, kitchen staff cleanliness etc. 

We never use the salt or pepper shaker or ketchup bottles at the table. I saw a child pick up the ketchup bottle and lick the top opening and put it back. I have seen too many things over the years. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I HAD to Say Something

[ Edited ]

@makena wrote:

It's a natural thinkg for a baby to do.  I'd be more worried about what goes on behind the kitchen doors.  I've worked in restaurants and I've seen things that would make you never enter a restaurant again. 

Yeah it might be natural for a baby to try and put everything in his/her mouth but as an adult, you stop that.  You don't just allow the child to do that.  And this wasn't a baby.  

I'd be more concerned with the fact that a baby was putting what was probably a filthy salt shaker into his/her mouth.  What is wrong with people?

Would I have inserted myself into that situation?  No.  I just don't think that is someone else's business.

Personally, I would hope that the salt shakers are wiped down after every patron leaves a table.  That should be a normal part of cleaning. 

Respected Contributor

all the more reason I  eat at home...gross!  Good for you for speaking up..I would too!

Honored Contributor

I find it fascinating that one anecdote about a child in a restaurant leads to a chorus of "Oh, kids today [fill in the blank].

I hope I never get to the point at which I decide that my generation is the last civilized one on earth because, IMO, that means I'm ready for departure.

Seriously,  this anecdote  is not exactly National Enquirer-worthy. I'll save my righteous indignition for other heinous acts needing attention.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I find it fascinating that one anecdote about a child in a restaurant leads to a chorus of "Oh, kids today [fill in the blank].

I hope I never get to the point at which I decide that my generation is the last civilized one on earth because, IMO, that means I'm ready for departure.

Seriously,  this anecdote  is not exactly National Enquirer-worthy. I'll save my righteous indignition for other heinous acts needing attention.

And the OP knew that is exactly what would happen.

Honored Contributor

A child licking a salt shaker surely isn't going to stop me from eating out in a restaurant ever again! I can't believe some of the comments here. I'm so glad I'm not a germaphobe.  Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 I believe you did the right thing but it has occurred to me that the grandmother wasn't alarmed that the child could have been harmed by licking the salt shaker. By continuously putting the salt shaker up to his mouth, I would be worried about him ingesting an awful amount of salt. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

The question is -- where are the parents or even the grandmother or father?  The child can get germs from putting that in his mouth.  Gross.  Some people have children today and that's it -- no discipline, no correcting, no attention.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The question is -- where are the parents or even the grandmother or father?  The child can get germs from putting that in his mouth.  Gross.  Some people have children today and that's it -- no discipline, no correcting, no attention.

Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1 the child was sitting on his grandmother's lap.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I haven't used the condiments provided on the table for over 20+ years ever since I saw this little boy sucking on the ketchup!Smiley Surprised

He is probably all grown up now with little ketchup sucker of his own.

It is good that you said something.

That lets the restaurant know customers are paying attention to what goes on in their establishment.