Trusted Contributor

Re: I Got Too Much Money From Gov.

@Silver Lining  ..... That is what the "tax expets" and the Tax Advocate Service is saying. They say the stimulus plan did not have a "clawback" clause. The IRS and  the Treasury Department have declined to comment on the issue so far.

Esteemed Contributor

An update, I just received a call from someone in the Senator's office I called this morning.

He said not to do anything with DH's $1,200.00.  They have had other calls too, they are waiting for guidance from the IRS. They will let me know when they get an answer.

I think these incidents will total in the millions of dollars. I hope it is all returned and put where it is needed most.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   You were very smart to call.  I really really hope my father who died in December 2019 will not receive a check.  I'm going to keep a close eye on his checking account.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  I was told today that another widow in town, as well as a widower,  got their spouses money too.

Their spouses died in 2018.

It should be interesting to see what the IRS says.

Respected Contributor

Do Not just send it back.  This will just cause aggravation fo you.  Wait till they request it.  Put it in a separate account and just wait. It will be better in the long run. 

Honored Contributor

I would just put the money aside and wait.  Now is not the time, they will loose it.  Believe me I have been in an endless circle with IRS regarding money they owe me.  For a year I have been dealing with them every month.  They owe me the money, they admit it...but we end up in the same spot. They want paperwork I have sent 3 times.  I send, wait a month ...call, they have it, then send letter everything is ok.  Then 30 days later they write regretting they cannot send it because they need the paperwork.  The IRS has lovely employees, they work hard.  But man, are they most unorganized place ever.  One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.  They read on computer, but often get it wrong.   I wouldn't send them anything now, they are overworked and too busy.  My daughter spent 3 hours on hold 2 weeks ago to speak with someone.  Poor workers, seriously.  They had to let everything go for these checks, and it's tax season. 

I have a bet with you. Lol. 18 months from now they will contact you and want money back

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people seem to think the money is an extra refund for taxes paid. It's not. The IRS uses the AGI from 2019 if it has been filed, the 2018 if 2019 hasn't been filed. It's not looking at how much tax was paid or refunded or due. The IRS determines whether or not the person or couple is eligible for a stimulus check based on the last known AGI, the amount of income. Some people are eligible for $1,200; some for a reduced amount: some get nothing because their amount of earned income is above the maximum allowed for eligibility. Actually, the money is a gift to a person who filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and who is still alive as of 1/1/20 to spend and stimulate the present economic standstill. I think @Retired Legal Secretary is doing the correct thing. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I would put this in an interest bearing account and wait until the 

IRS, or someone asks you to do otherwise.

I too am monitoring an account of a deceased family member who received the funds, this is what I was advised to do by the tax attorney.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@WenGirl42 @CrazyKittyLvr2  @Bri369   For a direct deposit, call the bank and have THEM return it. Again, a simple solution to an easy problem. It happens more than you think. 

My apologies for not realizing this was a direct deposit in the first place.

@BirkiLady How'd we get so quickly from "Please stop calling people! They are too busy for such nonsense" to "call the bank"? Woman LOL

And it also doesn't sound like good advice.  I wouldn't do anything in a hurry right now, least of all returning it or calling my bank about it.  It seems to me that she may be entitled to keep it based on when her husband passed away.  There's no reason to assume she received this money in error.