Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Got Too Much Money From Gov.

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  If you "don't feel right about keeping it" then don't cash it. Shred it. You won't be liable. The Government won't ever pay you or anyone else for that check number. SIMPLE way to deal with it. 

Do NOT return it! Government employees (and everyone else) are working from home. The check would never get to the correct person. And, frankly, no one is going to care.  

Please stop calling people! They are too busy for such nonsense. You apparently worked as a legal secretary and should know shredding the check will VOID it forever. This is NOT A BIG DEAL.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 :  I agree with the posters who say because your husband's estate paid taxes in 2019 the estate is entitled to the payment.  That said, you are incorrect about "if it is paid in error you can keep it"; as a former career Federal employee I can say you are very wrong.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  If you "don't feel right about keeping it" then don't cash it. Shred it. You won't be liable. The Government won't ever pay you or anyone else for that check number. SIMPLE way to deal with it. 

How do you shred a direct deposit? SIMPLY or otherwise?  o.O

Respected Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

I read an article that this was happening and they said to keep it.  

I wonder if that is what they told the lady that had $8.2 million deposited into her account.

Can you imagine looking at that and knowing that there is now $8.2 million in your bank account?   Someone would probably have to pick me up off the floor.  lol

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Do NOT return it! Government employees (and everyone else) are working from home. The check would never get to the correct person. And, frankly, no one is going to care.  

Please stop calling people! They are too busy for such nonsense. You apparently worked as a legal secretary and should know shredding the check will VOID it forever. This is NOT A BIG DEAL.   

There is no check.  It was a direct deposit.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WenGirl42 @CrazyKittyLvr2  @Bri369   For a direct deposit, call the bank and have THEM return it. Again, a simple solution to an easy problem. It happens more than you think. 

My apologies for not realizing this was a direct deposit in the first place.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

It wasn't a check, it was direct deposit.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

As a former Federal employee who used to answer a lot of retirement check questions, I'll offer my advice.  This isn't retirement, of course, but it is money sent that you are not due.

Set the money aside and do not spend it. 

Eventually, maybe when all the chaos dies down, you will be able to learn how and if you need to return it.

You've already made an attempt to do so, but you may not get an answer right away.  As long as you don't spend it, you are on the right side of the issue for now.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@WenGirl42 @CrazyKittyLvr2  @Bri369   For a direct deposit, call the bank and have THEM return it. Again, a simple solution to an easy problem. It happens more than you think. 

My apologies for not realizing this was a direct deposit in the first place.

@BirkiLady How'd we get so quickly from "Please stop calling people! They are too busy for such nonsense" to "call the bank"? Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Nothing is ASAP these days so just let the money set in the bank until the powers that be can decide what & if they'll do anything about overpayments. I understand the overpayment is bothering you but let it go for now...it wasn't your mistake & you didn't do anything wrong. Be well @CrazyKittyLvr2.