Honored Contributor

Re: I Got My New Microwave Today

@godi , how long did you have to wait for delivery?  When my sister got her LG refrigerator in June, she had to wait two months for delivery.  It had a dent in it and wouldn't accept it (thinking they might have given her a floor model at a new model price) and had to wait another month for a replacement.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Your comment about it lasting five years brought to mind my experience today.  A friend called and said his refrigerator wasn't working so he had to call an appliance repair company.  The refrigerator is 22 years old (a Frigidaire Gallery) and he thought for sure that he would end up replacing it.  However, it needed a $60 part and it now working and humming along happily.  They just don't make appliances like the older ones.

@wismiss 

I have no proof of this, but my personal opinion is that manufacturers were not making enough money with appliances that were able to last years and years. They started putting cheap parts in them on purpose, so that we would have to replace more frequently. 

Good for your friend that is able to keep her trusty appliance working with a minor repair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@godi wrote:

My fridge in kitchen only lasted 4/12 years. We just got a new one last week. I hope to get 10 years but it just doesn't seem that happens any more. Good luck on your new microwave @Anonymous032819 

My last basic GE Refrigerator lasted 24 years -- the freezer section stopped working one year ago. I went to Lowes and bought a similar basic GE Refrigerator - and the salesman said it should last around 8 years. He said they're built cheaply. If appliances last too long - the manufacturers and stores don't make a lot of money. I actually like this Refrigerator a lot more - as there's more room - the freezer section and shelves are much better designed.

@kivah 

I literally just made a similar comment without seeing what you had written. 

Honored Contributor

Awwww.....

Tell us what you got and give us a picture.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

Your comment about it lasting five years brought to mind my experience today.  A friend called and said his refrigerator wasn't working so he had to call an appliance repair company.  The refrigerator is 22 years old (a Frigidaire Gallery) and he thought for sure that he would end up replacing it.  However, it needed a $60 part and it now working and humming along happily.  They just don't make appliances like the older ones.

@wismiss 

I have no proof of this, but my personal opinion is that manufacturers were not making enough money with appliances that were able to last years and years. They started putting cheap parts in them on purpose, so that we would have to replace more frequently. 

Good for your friend that is able to keep her trusty appliance working with a minor repair. 

@icezeus, some years back a Sears salesman told me this once himself. He said they were making them to where they lasted too long and they weren't selling enough because of this so they had to stop making them to be so reliable. I know so often we want the latest and greatest appliances but they definitely don't make them like they used to.

Esteemed Contributor

GE should take my microwave for their historical records. I believe it is from the first series of Spacesavers and I purchased it in February 1988.  The unit is pristinely clean and functions as well as it did the day I took it out of the box.  I used it a lot for the first ten years or so, but as I moved my diet away from any kind of frozen foods to fresh it gets used less and less, so there's no reason for me to buy a new one unless this one finally bites the dust. 

Respected Contributor

My microwave--over 30 years and still works great--just no light

Refrigerator--over 30 years and will not quit

Washing machine--made it to 35 years but we just ordered a new one

Car--22 years and always dependable

House--123 years old and superbly constructed

Respected Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

@wismiss 

@icezeus, some years back a Sears salesman told me this once himself. He said they were making them to where they lasted too long and they weren't selling enough because of this so they had to stop making them to be so reliable. I know so often we want the latest and greatest appliances but they definitely don't make them like they used to.

When my Maytag Atlantis top loader washer died at about 9 years old (the transmission went out on it & it would've cost more to repair than to just replace) the repair guy that came out to look at it said they make appliances to only last about 8-10 years these days.  It's pretty disgusting, with the prices of things that they aren't made to last longer than that.  I still have the matching dryer & it works fine at 19 years, but when it or my current washer dies, I'll replace both & give a gas dryer a try, since my laundry room was plumbed for gas by the builder.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  We needed one fast so we bought one sight unseen and got it in two days. If I got the one I wanted Dec 23 was delivery. Unbelievable. I am not happy with the configuration of the inside but at least it works. I hope she gets her fridge soon. 

Honored Contributor

I'm just wondering why the OP settled for a very low voltage microwave. This is November and so many stores have begun their black friday specials. She could have gotten a "real" microwave for cheap. 

"Pure Michigan"