Esteemed Contributor

I Got My New Microwave Today

[ Edited ]

My old microwave which was over 20 years old finally bit the dust yesterday, so today I went to Target to get a new one.

I bought a Sunbeam 0.9 cubic foot, 900 watt micro for $69.99.

It's just me using it, and I used the micro to cook tv dinners, boil water, reheat food, and cook the occasional bag of popcorn, so I don't really need to have the biggest with the highest wattage.

I'll be happy to get five years out of it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Got My New Microwave Today

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

My old microwave which was over 20 years old finally but the dust yesterday, so today I went to Target to get a new one.

I bought a Sunbeam 0.9 cubic foot, 900 watt micro for $69.99.

It's just me using it, and I used the micro to cook tv dinners, boil water, reheat food, and cook the occasional bag of popcorn, so I don't really need to have the biggest with the highest wattage.

I'll be happy to get five years out of it.

@Anonymous032819 that's a long time for a microwave to last, I think you got your money's worth. I hope you enjoy your new one.

Esteemed Contributor

My fridge in kitchen only lasted 4/12 years. We just got a new one last week. I hope to get 10 years but it just doesn't seem that happens any more. Good luck on your new microwave @Anonymous032819 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 That sounds like  a very good buy!

Trusted Contributor

Your comment about it lasting five years brought to mind my experience today.  A friend called and said his refrigerator wasn't working so he had to call an appliance repair company.  The refrigerator is 22 years old (a Frigidaire Gallery) and he thought for sure that he would end up replacing it.  However, it needed a $60 part and it now working and humming along happily.  They just don't make appliances like the older ones.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I am sure you know but as a reminder don't forget to add additional time when cooking tv dinners or other frozen foods.  Most times given on the packages is for a 1100 or 1200 watt oven.

Respected Contributor

@wismiss  You took the words right out of my mouth.  I was gonna say, "They don't make 'em like they used to."  And that, unfortunately, applies to just about everything!

Woman Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819, I hope you enjoy your new microwave. I think 5 years might be pushing it with the way things are made these days but I hope you get that. I would be happy at 3 at that price. Sounds like you got a good deal!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi wrote:

My fridge in kitchen only lasted 4/12 years. We just got a new one last week. I hope to get 10 years but it just doesn't seem that happens any more. Good luck on your new microwave @Anonymous032819 

My last basic GE Refrigerator lasted 24 years -- the freezer section stopped working one year ago. I went to Lowes and bought a similar basic GE Refrigerator - and the salesman said it should last around 8 years. He said they're built cheaply. If appliances last too long - the manufacturers and stores don't make a lot of money. I actually like this Refrigerator a lot more - as there's more room - the freezer section and shelves are much better designed.

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Your comment about it lasting five years brought to mind my experience today.  A friend called and said his refrigerator wasn't working so he had to call an appliance repair company.  The refrigerator is 22 years old (a Frigidaire Gallery) and he thought for sure that he would end up replacing it.  However, it needed a $60 part and it now working and humming along happily.  They just don't make appliances like the older ones.

When the Freezer Section of my 24 year old GE Refrigerator died last year - I bought another GE Refrigerator. I wouldn't spend money for repairs for such an old refrigerator. I guess if people spend over $1,000 for a major appliance, it might be worth it. Most repairs start at $200 and UP!!!