Respected Contributor

Re: I Got A Picture From Annabelle Today. 4/21/2022

@rms1954 that root picture is adorable Smiley Happy

and yes, we are rooting for her quick and complete recovery

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I just wonder how she fell off a deck, like someone said no railings? Falling is never good, and being older is just dangerous.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  Of course Annabelle still has a brace on! #1 and #2 vertebrae will take a long time to heal; this is a serious injury. You could educate yourself by reading up about such injuries by reading on-line which would help your close friend when you visit or talk with her.

I seriously doubt adding railings would have prevented her fall. She may have misstepped, tripped or who knows what happened - none of us were there. Please don't make it sound like her home is unsafe. 

Continue to keep Annabelle in my thoughts and prayers. Sending gentle good vibes, happy thoughts and best wishes for painfree days ahead. Those days are in your future. Trust me. Heart 

NOTE: If Annabelle's/Linda's daughter's would keep us updated by posting under her ID, that would be the ideal way to ensure accurate information is being shared and approved by Annabelle and her family. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@ECBG  Of course Annabelle still has a brace on! #1 and #2 vertebrae will take a long time to heal; this is a serious injury. You could educate yourself by reading up about such injuries by reading on-line which would help your close friend when you visit or talk with her.

I seriously doubt adding railings would have prevented her fall. She may have misstepped, tripped or who knows what happened - none of us were there. Please don't make it sound like her home is unsafe. 

Continue to keep Annabelle in my thoughts and prayers. Sending gentle good vibes, happy thoughts and best wishes for painfree days ahead. Those days are in your future. Trust me. Heart 

NOTE: If Annabelle's/Linda's daughter's would keep us updated by posting under her ID, that would be the ideal way to ensure accurate information is being shared and approved by Annabelle and her family. 

@BirkiLady Can your post be any more dramatic? Does it really matter if there were railings or not. I doubt @ECBG is trying to make us think her home isn't safe.

Honored Contributor

Before any of you judge when elderly people don't have railings, please consider the fact that they may not LET people put up railings---as in the case of a relative of mine.

All the "why don't you" I see around here, well that is all good if elderly people will LET you do things, or get them to do things.

A general comment here, not directed at anyone in particular, but a point that, having been there more than once myseld, needs to be made:   Please understand that unless someone is declared incompetent by the court or is breaking a law, you cannot MAKE an elderly person do something they do not want to or agree to do.

I read all the time, "have them", "make them," or "get them to" and I can tell you now it doesn't always work that way.

So please, before you go complaining about issues with many elderly people and those around them, consider that part of the equation.  It's really easy to see what "ought" to happen; not so simple for those involved. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Before any of you judge when elderly people don't have railings, please consider the fact that they may not LET people put up railings---as in the case of a relative of mine.

All the "why don't you" I see around here, well that is all good if elderly people will LET you do things, or get them to do things.

A general comment here, not directed at anyone in particular, but a point that, having been there more than once myseld, needs to be made:   Please understand that unless someone is declared incompetent by the court or is breaking a law, you cannot MAKE an elderly person do something they do not want to or agree to do.

I read all the time, "have them", "make them," or "get them to" and I can tell you now it doesn't always work that way.

So please, before you go complaining about issues with many elderly people and those around them, consider that part of the equation.  It's really easy to see what "ought" to happen; not so simple for those involved. 

@Sooner, This is correct. I just sold a very large house with a long porch that did not have railings. It is a few feet off the ground but would still cause injury in a fall. It did have columns. Railings obstruct more view than you think. You have to have the judgement to stay away from the edge. At my mountain place the deck is so high off of the ground  most would not survive that fall intact or alive so yes there are railings.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady  I do believe that as things settle down, Annabelle will get someone to bring us up to date. This is not an easy thing. Don't know which collar she's using but if it's similiar to the Ossur Miami Collar that will keep her from moving.

Just hope that what ever meds she's taking, makes her sleep. She will be on muscle relaxants and any and everything and if it's not working, she will let them know for sure.

Looking forward to hearing from someone by next week.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Today, I got one picture, no post.

Annabelle is in pain, she still has on the neck brace.

I hope they are putting railings everywhere.  I can't imagine a front porch high enough to fall off without a railing.  Little ones are there on holidays.

@ECBG 

Sorry to hear she is still in pain. To me for us older ones, every portion with 3 steps should all have railings on them.

When I was in balance physical Therapy for my ice skating close to a years ago, steps were part of it. They told me just what I said above. They had me going up 4 stairs, first using railing, and then, not using railing. Also going forward and backward, all done with them holding a safety strap wrapped around me

In the hospital now because of a fall, not from a fall off a porch, but ice skating Wednesday. Had a Physical Therapist walk with me, strapped by belt. Walking up and down 2 steps was part of our walk. 

Huge Hematoma on my right hip/upper thigh. Getting Iron Infusion right now because of low Hemoglobin and Iron Ferritin. Lots of blood went to my leg.

Please wish her well for me now @ECBG.. Sending my thoughts to her 🙏

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn  I was wondering where you were. So  sorry that you fell. After all those years you can still roller skate. Good for you.

Hope you can go home soon. Best wishes and hope the pain isn't too bad.