Esteemed Contributor

I Got A Check Made Out To DH.

My husband passed away in May of 2019.  Saturday I got a refund check of $94.91 from State Farm payable to DH..  I got ride of my car and it's a refund for overpayment since I had just paid the premium right before I sold the car.

Now I notified them of his death when he died, I'm the one that signed the paperwork regarding dropping the car insurance. Nope, check to him.

I can't cash it or deposit it even though his name is still on the account.  I am the survivor on the account and it went to me alone.

I called my agent and I have to send the check to them and they forward it to East Bejezzus where it will be reissued in my name.  It will take 4 to 5 MONTHS.

While $94.91 is not a financial hardship in any way, but really.  If I owed them that money they would want it right away.

Ya gotta love it.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Got A Check Made Out To DH.

State Farm can do it faster than that.  They owed me a refund for about the same amount and I had to fuss at my local agent when weeks started to pass.  Don't be afraid to have the locals work on your behalf to light a fire under corporate.  

Honored Contributor

If it were me, I would just deposit it.

You are entitled to it so it's not like you are stealing.

Trusted Contributor

The same thing just happened to me.  I got a check from an old bankrupt stock plan made out to my Mom & Dad.  My Mom has been gone since 1999 and we lost my Dad 5 years ago.  It's for $95.00.   It's crazy, but my Dad would not be happy if I don't get that money, lol.  

Honored Contributor

If you were the executor of his estate, your signing it should not have been a problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If it were me, I would just deposit it.

You are entitled to it so it's not like you are stealing.

I agree, sometimes DH and I are 46 states away.  So I just write for deposit only on it and it always goes thru.

Respected Contributor

Does it bother anyone else with all the computerization in today's world, that we still run into these issues.  And worse, the resolutions take longer then when we primarily communicated by phone and used pencil and paper to get things done.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  "I can't cash it or deposit it even though his name is still on the account."

I do not understand why your bank refused to "deposit."

confused.gifAll you had to do was sign the back of the check in "your name" & deposit in "your" account.

What reasoning did your bank give for refusal to "deposit?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I would endorse it with Dad's name and immediately undersigned it with your full name and executrix; you should be fine ( I did this with no problem with the estates of both my parents).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My husband passed away in May of 2019.  Saturday I got a refund check of $94.91 from State Farm payable to DH..  I got ride of my car and it's a refund for overpayment since I had just paid the premium right before I sold the car.

Now I notified them of his death when he died, I'm the one that signed the paperwork regarding dropping the car insurance. Nope, check to him.

I can't cash it or deposit it even though his name is still on the account.  I am the survivor on the account and it went to me alone.

I called my agent and I have to send the check to them and they forward it to East Bejezzus where it will be reissued in my name.  It will take 4 to 5 MONTHS.

While $94.91 is not a financial hardship in any way, but really.  If I owed them that money they would want it right away.

Ya gotta love it.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My story is not identical to yours but similar in some ways. 

I sold a house and the escrow after all was paid out in 2-3 months to the new mortgage company, etc., was $86.00.  I was 3 months or so in getting that notice. 

Weeks went by and I never got the check.  Every now and then (probably every month) I would get a notice showing what they owed.  I called, I wrote and never got it. 

Three years went by and finally I turned it over to the AG of the state.  He was dogmatic in getting it for me, but how many people would not pursue that as I did?  Probably hundreds, if not thousands. 

It was that big company the W-F.  If you recall they got in a lot of trouble.  I am sure my claim did not help them any.  I was glad to help as much as I could.  Yes, like you --- that amount of money is not going to break any of us, but if they do that to me and they do it to thousands of others, pretty soon it adds up to big money in their bank account,  not mine.  Plus I could have a new pair of pants and a blouse with that much money back 30 years ago.