Trusted Contributor

Re: I Found a Photo of the "Gorgeousness" of Paul Newman

Here's the stamp. 

image.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

Oh this brings back memories! I was lucky enough to have a 15 minutes of fame moment in the early 80's.

I was in the pace car for a parade lap at a racetrack in northern Minnesota. Just as we were to enter the track, word came to us that the car would be driven by Paul Newman. I went to get out of the car and a track official told me to stay put!

The handsome race driver/actor got in, extended his hand and introduced himself! He asked my name and said, "What a pleasure!" He asked if I'd ever seen the track from this perspective and I said no. At that point he told the official to hold the parade, he was taking me for a pace lap first! We zoomed around that track at a speed where I thought I was going to die! He gave me a high speed guided tour and I went to heaven and back! At the end he thanked me for the opportunity to introduce me to racing! Very classy man!

Friends who heard about my brush with fame asked if his eyes were really THAT blue! Yes they were!

Jacie you must have had some happy dreams for a long time after that encounter!! Wow, what an experience!  

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

The Newman stamp should be issued this week!  

Someone else here started a thread about it and the issue date is supposed to be 9/13. Hubba Hubba - I'm definitely buying some of those.  Paul Newman - Forever.  Smiley Happy

Pearlee that was me who started the thread about the Paul Newman stamp!

It seems I can't get enough of Paul Newman's face love3

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Love the stamp!

Those are some goooood genes!

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I can't believe I never ran across this photo before.

He was all that, and more Heart Heart Heart Heart

He was my all time favorite, although he was older than me, I (think) I have seen just about every movie he was in. My husband and I both know-> he was a Supreme Actor.

I, also love Joanne Woodward; she's a really 1st  favorite of mine. 

Going back to Newman's earlier days, the one movie that I ___learned a lot from___ was:  The Long Hot Summer. I had to wait for someone as close to that personality of  UMPPH..... before I said ` I DO`. 

From the Terrace, another great one.   I adored Ina Balin in that same movie with him; she's another great!

Yes, I appreciate good looking men, BUT with Quality and STYLE, nothing short of those qualities in any man. 

Thank you for posting................sunala.

"Well, I see 'we all have great taste in men"!

NAES

I own The Long Hot Summer and watch it often.  I almost know the entire dialog of every scene.  Jimmy Rodgers sang the opening lyrics of the beautiful music, and it takes me back to a wonderful place. 

Do you realize that Angela Lansbury was already middle aged when that movie came out?  Everyone else but her and Joanne has died.  Life is, indeed, very short, even the longest life. 

I'll probably watch that wonderful movie tonight. 

Yes I did know that A L/ Minnie Little John was middle aged when the movie came out, in 1958. I, also have that movie, and 3 others that I made, video copy from tv, one of our older machines, that I could operate.

I believe I know every line from that movie. That was the 1st movie Woodward & Newman made together. Newman's first wife was Jackie Witt. Their son, the only child they had was Scott Newman. The son died very young.

Jimmy Rodgers' song lyrics played on the radio, as I'm told...did a little research years ago and found a [45 ] / the flip side Honeycomb.

I had asked you, "L"  approximately six weeks ago a question when I read you mentioned TLHS.

You must not have seen it or knew nothing also of that pique?  If so, I would have no way to go back and search that.

I love that song, the music, the lyrics so much as I told you.      

"Watching that movie made me think very seriously about what love was; not falling in to lust, but being IN love". Her personality, the character, Clara, was so much like mine. "I, too had a put a very high standard on my life and was not going to just give it away to any passing stranger.

Also, Orson Welles made that movie great!

NAES

I never saw that NAES, or I definitely would have responded.  Yes, Welles, Lansbury, Newman, Woodward, Franciosa and Remick.  My favorite scene, Newman standing on the balcony outside of Clara's bedroom chanting, "Clara, Clara, Cla ... hah... hah . . rah."  Could anything have been more sexy?!

And when Welles said to Minnie, "well then, how about a nice gold ring" after she refused all of his other offerings.  Classic . . . pure classic.

Franciosa to his father "Don't you have any affection for me, papa?"  I could go on and on.  All great actors, stage actors, with wonderful, unforgettable lines.  "BARN BURNER!!" from Clara after she responded so passionately to BEN QUICK's kiss and hating herself for it.  And him saying "well now you got me" and backing away.  Far more romantic and sexy than any nude scene these days.

I'm sorry I did not see your post naes, I definitely would have responded had I seen it.

^^^^^Hi Heart Lilac Tree, 

Believe this: your post was blank from the time you posted until now. Almost half past the 11pm hour, your time. 

I have gone back several times for many blank boxes sent to me. Also, I have come back to check on (4) four that were not showing, other than a little heart or symbol but the content was not there...until now!(??) 

You hopefully will see this by tomorrow's early morning's early posting. I usually am not on until afternoon or late evenings. I have been gone for (maybe) two hours after I posted to you. Still the reply you sent ^^above has been blank for hours, until now. I do hope you that you pulled out your movie and, as usual, enjoyed. I never become bored watching this movie.

Welles, (Will) is made up to be at age 60, as he states. AL, although she is in her mid 30s would look very middle aged in 1958....hah, no new 50 looking 30, then. *Someone mentioned -33 and you call that middle age*? Yes I do. All of the better stars made their claim to fame in their late teens through the late 20s, after that, I would come to believe 'work done'/plastic surgery was not as prevalent as it is today...as far I know. Notice a lot of the actor's/actress' teeth are either chipped, crooked or missing. 

I saw one movie that Bette Davis was in at approximately 40 and she looked as though she was 60+ or more. Also, heard from the TCM's Osborne's comment stating actors' ages for some movies time-time. Lauren Bacall was 19 when she played with Bogart in her first movie (after their marriage); he was over 24+ her senior, and looked as though he was 60 something. Just a bit of FYI I have found interesting since I'm a old movie buff. Those movies are what I find classy. Nothing artistic ~remotely close today to the classics from those years / versus what's out there today...in my opinion! Actually when I have a chance, my husband and I hope for a classic, but we do have a library of very old movies from the 30s to the 60s. I will not buy nor watch violence or vulgar language, so that leave out just about 80% of the movie material out, now.

Getting back to TLHS, I agree, the imagination of intimate story lines with just a look or as a few words. Oh yes, the scene where Ben calls out, `Claaarraa when she is upright reading before sleep, and Ben is in the hallway. The intense electricity between the two, that far away. The kiss that she never had from her long tag-a-long fiance, when she says,'okay, you have proved that I am human', and he responds...'oh you are human alright', then the slap to face comes after she shouts Barn Burner. There is where is so hurt. The part that AL with Welles is left to the imagination when Ben says, 'I know what is bothering you, to Woodward'...Jody chasing Eula with her hair down and your old man, at sixty with his lady love...and on & on.

What I did not understand was when Will said to the country store crowd, 'a nickle on the water draws interest when the tide comes in'. Close enough but have no idea what he meant?

I'll get back to this after I find that you were able to read this much. 

Wondering if that entire movie was made in Mississippi; I loved the hanging Spanish moss.

You are the first person that i have ever discussed this movie with that actually picked up what was not said more than what was. 

...."hope that you are not having the same amount of pain as one year ago, but thinking wisely, it has to be about the same.  *Pred. was at 8mg one year then reduce to 6 last time I heard from you. I do remember when you fractured a rib by stretching before Christmas last year after you bought the 'boots".

I am always sending prayerful thought for you, along with many other posters. All of us are getting older, even the 30 year old posters. They too, someday will know...............

One last thought, I have a neighbor who turned 83 two days ago and has the energy of me when I was 20-30. I can not keep up with her. Genes! Oh yes, and no medicines taken through out her life. Those will tap you on the back and let one know..I'm here with your side effects.

NAES

Honored Contributor

I don't know for sure but it seems like this was from an ad in a magazine but I can't really remember. Maybe someone else will know.

My husband likes "Cool Hand Luke".

Valued Contributor

I have always loved Paul Newman.  He was a looker for sure.  I remember way back reading a magazine inerview.  Paul was asked about being able to have any woman he wanted and yet he stayed married to Joanne.  Paul said "why would I go out and have hamburger when I can have steak at home".  Maybe not the exact words but pretty close.  Their love surely was a rarity in hollywood.

Thanks for posting this topic/picture and all the great answers.  Brings back great memories  for me when things were not so dark.

Respected Contributor

I think he is much more handsome clean shaven, especially with the dimple in his chin.

Respected Contributor

Wow

Trusted Contributor

Both he and his wife beautiful people inside and out.