Respected Contributor

Re: I Found a Photo of the "Gorgeousness" of Paul Newman

Oh this brings back memories! I was lucky enough to have a 15 minutes of fame moment in the early 80's.

I was in the pace car for a parade lap at a racetrack in northern Minnesota. Just as we were to enter the track, word came to us that the car would be driven by Paul Newman. I went to get out of the car and a track official told me to stay put!

The handsome race driver/actor got in, extended his hand and introduced himself! He asked my name and said, "What a pleasure!" He asked if I'd ever seen the track from this perspective and I said no. At that point he told the official to hold the parade, he was taking me for a pace lap first! We zoomed around that track at a speed where I thought I was going to die! He gave me a high speed guided tour and I went to heaven and back! At the end he thanked me for the opportunity to introduce me to racing! Very classy man!

Friends who heard about my brush with fame asked if his eyes were really THAT blue! Yes they were!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

The Newman stamp should be issued this week!  

Someone else here started a thread about it and the issue date is supposed to be 9/13. Hubba Hubba - I'm definitely buying some of those.  Paul Newman - Forever.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

cody2 wrote:
In this photo and from the side he looks a little like Blake Sheldon to me. 

Eww, no!  That guy is so creepy looking.  I don't see any of that skeevy quality in Paul Newman.

Respected Contributor

I met him too - at Limerock in Connecticut where he raced his Datsun.  Had an opportunity to have lunch on a picnic table with him at the "barn" where the drivers met for potluck after the race.  Very personable.  Also met Joanne Woodward who was with him.  He was georgeous then in the 70's, wore a gold racing suit with those blue, blue eyes.  Too bad about Joanne if it is true.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I can't believe I never ran across this photo before.

He was all that, and more Heart Heart Heart Heart

He was my all time favorite, although he was older than me, I (think) I have seen just about every movie he was in. My husband and I both know-> he was a Supreme Actor.

I, also love Joanne Woodward; she's a really 1st  favorite of mine. 

Going back to Newman's earlier days, the one movie that I ___learned a lot from___ was:  The Long Hot Summer. I had to wait for someone as close to that personality of  UMPPH..... before I said ` I DO`. 

From the Terrace, another great one.   I adored Ina Balin in that same movie with him; she's another great!

Yes, I appreciate good looking men, BUT with Quality and STYLE, nothing short of those qualities in any man. 

Thank you for posting................sunala.

"Well, I see 'we all have great taste in men"!

NAES

I own The Long Hot Summer and watch it often.  I almost know the entire dialog of every scene.  Jimmy Rodgers sang the opening lyrics of the beautiful music, and it takes me back to a wonderful place. 

Do you realize that Angela Lansbury was already middle aged when that movie came out?  Everyone else but her and Joanne has died.  Life is, indeed, very short, even the longest life. 

I'll probably watch that wonderful movie tonight. 

Yes I did know that A L/ Minnie Little John was middle aged when the movie came out, in 1958. I, also have that movie, and 3 others that I made, video copy from tv, one of our older machines, that I could operate.

I believe I know every line from that movie. That was the 1st movie Woodward & Newman made together. Newman's first wife was Jackie Witt. Their son, the only child they had was Scott Newman. The son died very young.

Jimmy Rodgers' song lyrics played on the radio, as I'm told...did a little research years ago and found a [45 ] / the flip side Honeycomb.

I had asked you, "L"  approximately six weeks ago a question when I read you mentioned TLHS.

You must not have seen it or knew nothing also of that pique?  If so, I would have no way to go back and search that.

I love that song, the music, the lyrics so much as I told you.      

"Watching that movie made me think very seriously about what love was; not falling in to lust, but being IN love". Her personality, the character, Clara, was so much like mine. "I, too had a put a very high standard on my life and was not going to just give it away to any passing stranger.

Also, Orson Welles made that movie great!

NAES

Respected Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

Yes I did know that A L/ Minnie Little John was middle aged when the movie came out, in 1958.

Angela Landsbury was born in 1925.  She was 33 when Long Hot Summer came out.  33 is middle aged?

Honored Contributor

Is there any thing more prefect??? I have to re-pin this to my handsome men board on P*interest. Big.....sigh!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@cody2 wrote:
In this photo and from the side he looks a little like Blake Sheldon to me. 

Eww, no!  That guy is so creepy looking.  I don't see any of that skeevy quality in Paul Newman.

Like the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks".Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

I can't believe I never ran across this photo before.

He was all that, and more Heart Heart Heart Heart

He was my all time favorite, although he was older than me, I (think) I have seen just about every movie he was in. My husband and I both know-> he was a Supreme Actor.

I, also love Joanne Woodward; she's a really 1st  favorite of mine. 

Going back to Newman's earlier days, the one movie that I ___learned a lot from___ was:  The Long Hot Summer. I had to wait for someone as close to that personality of  UMPPH..... before I said ` I DO`. 

From the Terrace, another great one.   I adored Ina Balin in that same movie with him; she's another great!

Yes, I appreciate good looking men, BUT with Quality and STYLE, nothing short of those qualities in any man. 

Thank you for posting................sunala.

"Well, I see 'we all have great taste in men"!

NAES

I own The Long Hot Summer and watch it often.  I almost know the entire dialog of every scene.  Jimmy Rodgers sang the opening lyrics of the beautiful music, and it takes me back to a wonderful place. 

Do you realize that Angela Lansbury was already middle aged when that movie came out?  Everyone else but her and Joanne has died.  Life is, indeed, very short, even the longest life. 

I'll probably watch that wonderful movie tonight. 

Yes I did know that A L/ Minnie Little John was middle aged when the movie came out, in 1958. I, also have that movie, and 3 others that I made, video copy from tv, one of our older machines, that I could operate.

I believe I know every line from that movie. That was the 1st movie Woodward & Newman made together. Newman's first wife was Jackie Witt. Their son, the only child they had was Scott Newman. The son died very young.

Jimmy Rodgers' song lyrics played on the radio, as I'm told...did a little research years ago and found a [45 ] / the flip side Honeycomb.

I had asked you, "L"  approximately six weeks ago a question when I read you mentioned TLHS.

You must not have seen it or knew nothing also of that pique?  If so, I would have no way to go back and search that.

I love that song, the music, the lyrics so much as I told you.      

"Watching that movie made me think very seriously about what love was; not falling in to lust, but being IN love". Her personality, the character, Clara, was so much like mine. "I, too had a put a very high standard on my life and was not going to just give it away to any passing stranger.

Also, Orson Welles made that movie great!

NAES

I never saw that NAES, or I definitely would have responded.  Yes, Welles, Lansbury, Newman, Woodward, Franciosa and Remick.  My favorite scene, Newman standing on the balcony outside of Clara's bedroom chanting, "Clara, Clara, Cla ... hah... hah . . rah."  Could anything have been more sexy?!

And when Welles said to Minnie, "well then, how about a nice gold ring" after she refused all of his other offerings.  Classic . . . pure classic.

Franciosa to his father "Don't you have any affection for me, papa?"  I could go on and on.  All great actors, stage actors, with wonderful, unforgettable lines.  "BARN BURNER!!" from Clara after she responded so passionately to BEN QUICK's kiss and hating herself for it.  And him saying "well now you got me" and backing away.  Far more romantic and sexy than any nude scene these days.

I'm sorry I did not see your post naes, I definitely would have responded had I seen it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

No words

Miss him a lot