Respected Contributor

Re: I Forget Sunday Is Mother's Day.

@QVCalm I'm so sorry.

Respected Contributor

I haven’t spoken to my mother since I called her racist at Christmas. I’m ok with it.
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm    I always got my dad a lb. of red pistachios, too.  Oh, how he loved them.  Thank you for triggering my memory of that.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Just another day

Respected Contributor

I think Mother's Day is a great holiday because it reminds all of us to stop for a day and honor and remember our beloved and precious mothers.

Yes, I agree that spending time together is more wonderful than receiving a physical gift, but I believe many children enjoy thinking about their parents and picking out something special, which I can see from some of the comments here.  

So telling people not to celebrate or bring you a gift could make the day a little less special to them, because they might WANT to do something, even if it is small. It is the thought that counts.

The day is not just for the mothers to get gifts and feel recognized--it is also a day for the children to create memories.

Yes, we may feel sad because we have lost beloved family members, but there are many young people who look to the older generation as role models, and learn from us how we celebrate.

And for those that do not have a mother or dislike their mothers, then recognize or honor somebody else, such as an aunt or dear friend, or make a donation to a charity.

I think it is important to keep the traditions of all of these special holidays in our nation and our cultures, no matter how we personally feel, so that the legacies continue.

Respected Contributor

Ladies- Thanks for sharing all your Mothers Day stories and thoughts. I enjoyed reading.?My Mom passed in 2011. So, I’m low key and a bit sad on Mother’s Day. But a Very Happy Mother’s Day to all of u celebrating!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should not have waited so long but tonight I ordered flowers for

My Mom and 2 daughters in law

My MIL (RIP) always got me something for Mother's Day

DH usually got me something (garden related)

DS#1 & #2  hit or miss   sometimes yes, sometimes no

it's not a "Hallmark" holiday  Signed into Congress in 1908

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining  it's been almost 4 years since my mom's passing and I, too, would do anything to have more time with her.  Same could be said for my dad too, actually.  Will be going to the cemetery after Mass on Sunday.  

I told my kids that I don't need or want anything.  So usually I still get flowers and cards from them.  My daughter will have me over and she will cook a lovely dinner and we have a nice visit.  I've never worked in a restaurant, but I still know enough not to dine out on that day.  Same for Valentine's Day.  Pandemic or no pandemic.

I mail out cards to a few special "moms" in my life.  One is my mom's best friend who is now in her 90's. They go way back.  They were each others maid of honor at their respective weddings.  And the other card goes to my best friend, who is a great mother to 4 and a grandmother to 7.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

My daughter always says mom what do you want.  I say help me with something when I need it.  That's something always appreciated. She always does anyway.

She has been home schooling kids this year and has not been easy.  Lost her job so it worked out but not an easy time.  She lives down the street from me.  Yesterday I stopped on my way back from my walk and we talked and dId her dishes.  I washed and she dried and put away.  My gift to her.  Sometimes a person needs a boost.

My mother in law lives about an hour and half way but not been visiting but will soon.. We sent her a card and my husband will call her.  

When I was younger and parents around we did more.  The older I get less is best.  Make it simple.

Contributor

I do not celebrate Mother's Day anymore.  I asked my children to respect my wishes.  I call it "Me" day.  I spend the day doing whatever I want. I do not need anything and do not want them spending anygthing on me.  I have had many wonderful Mother's Days in the past and certainly miss my Mother and Mother-in-law and miss the days with my young children.  My daughter lives in LA so she is never here for that day.  My daughter- in-law wants to spend the day with her kids and her mother.  I just couldn't do the Saturday thing anymore. My other son tries and this year his significant other is finally seeing her parents after the pandemic began.  I am very happy for her.

So there you have it.  Don't want to do it anymore.  Told my kids just want to do whatever I want that day and do not want them to feel any obligation. I have had many wonderful years and my daugher-in--law deserves the same thing.