Respected Contributor

Re: I Forget Sunday Is Mother's Day.

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   You sound a little like me....no fussing for me please...down to when I pass away....I don't want a send off.

Even when I married I wanted to elope, DH would not hear of it. I was so uncomfortable with all the attention, the photos show it, ha, ha...

I am the same way - birthdays, Mother's day don't make a fuss. Yes, even wedding. It was bad enough that my mother insisted on a small party on her patio. And DH knows to just put me in a pine box and shove it into the fire.

It did mean something to my Mother so before she died we always tried to make a special trip to visit at that time of year.

Esteemed Contributor

I sent 2 cards to mothers who are significant in my life. Will text SILs & sister who are mothers. Delighted to spend Saturday night & Sunday morning with my children and their SOs. Let them make a bit of a fuss over me. I have been a single mother since they were young and I greatly appreciate the love. No drama in this family, just blessings.

Also having worked in a restaurant while broke and in college, they know that Mother's Day is the one day of the year where I refuse to dine out. No way.

Come Father's Day, I will send one card and text my brothers who are dads- that's it.

My own mother died almost 6 years ago and my father passed over 30 years ago.

Honored Contributor

I see your point @CrazyKittyLvr2 . Most moms would be happy to have a nice visit with their children and skip any hoopla. As another poster mentioned, the other 364 days matter much more than one Hallmark day in May.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No kids, my mom died when I was 6 means nothing to me but to all the moms who celebrate or don't Happy Mother's Day. ❤️

I told my father Happy Mother's Day every year because he was both parents to me. He would laugh and say I was crazy but he was there for all my girl issues. My poor Dad 🤣🤣❤️

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Mom is gone so I pay no attention to the holiday.

I am 70 yrs. old and don't need or want a darn thing.  I gave my kids orders years ago not to spend their money on me. I will see them on Sunday and have a nice visit.

It was fun when the kids were small and did the handmade cards and gifts.

Anyone else not get all excited about Mother's Day?

In my 30s I worked at a restaurant and grew to hate most holidays.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I lost my mom 12 years ago.  We always celebrated with a special dinner and a small gift.  She never wanted too much as she got older.  Now I am a grandmother to 3 little girls.  They are 3, 4, and 8.  The best part of Mother's Day is the cards they make especially for me.  True keepsakes.  They know I like yellow...so each card has me in a yellow dress or holding yellow flowers with lots of rainbows.   🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Even after all these years, I am always puzzled that I am the top of the heap.  Logically I know my mom has been gone for many years, but maybe my memories still rule.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the comments from those who worked in restaurants; I worked briefly in one as a college Summer job ( so no issues there). I also worked for 12 years overseas in Army Recreation Services and also USO.  I worked almost every weekend and all holidays including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day,Thanksgiving, Easter, 4 th of July and so on.  I wasn't married and my family wasn't there and neither were many of my friends, who were teachers and took big trips over holiday breaks.  Loved the job but for years afterwards I really freaked, especially at Christmas, trying to make it perfect and to make up for lost time.

Respected Contributor

My mother passed away almost nineteen years ago. I'm taking a bouquet of silk lilies to the cemetery tomorrow to put in the bronze vase on her grave marker. I would do just about anything to have even one minute with her. My siblings live in other states. I received a beautifull mother's day card from my sister today. I'm driving up to celebrate mother's day with my son and DIL, my grandkids, and my DIL's mother. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'm with you. I am 71 and I have asked both of my daughters not to give me a  Mother's day or birthday gift. I don't want or need anything and if I do I'll buy it myself.  I am going to my daughters for Sunday lunch. I'll probably give my daughter some flowers because she gave me the best gift ever, my granddaughter.  

Super Contributor

My bio mom verbally & emotionally abused me all my life; now both my adult children----and my only grandchild (age 32)---are carring-on her evil legacy.