Regular Contributor

Re: I Don't Want to Fly Anymore

I have no desire to fly any more, and it has nothing to do with letting the terrorists "win."  I refuse to be scanned and groped and made to wait for hours just to get on a plane.  Then we have to pay for luggage, and reserved seating, and all the other amenities that used to be included in a normal flight.  I'd probably also need a lesson in what I can and can't bring onboard in my carryon too. 

I've flown all over the country years ago, before the TSA and their "anything to be safe" mentality.  It's stopped being fun, so I've stopped flying.  All my relatives are within driving distance, so that's not an issue.  To each his own, but I'm staying grounded.

Honored Contributor

I used to love to fly.  Terrorists don't really freak me out (flying), honestly. 

The worry of a tiny little yellow wire hitting a melting little green wire way inside the guts of the engine was more on my mind.

But within the past 5 years or so, claustrophobia has hit me.  When they slam that door shut, I get the most horrible wave of nausea come over me.  I have to sit in the front row now, cannot watch everyone (thousands of people it seems) board and walk past me.  Cannot even glance behind me and see everyone seated.

I prefer to drive-- even it's 600 miles, no problem.  We have comfortable vehicles.  Make the trip about 5-6 times a year.  Our beautiful German Shepherd loved to travel with us, couldn't imagine her flying. 

Less pollution to drive than fly, too.

Honored Contributor

Interesting comments here, my DH, a former AF pilot, says more people are killed every day on the roads than in airplane accidents!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have never liked to fly to begin with. I always did it as a means to an end, but each time I get off a plane, I feel as if I have been through an ordeal just keeping it in the air. I got even more anxious after the plane blew up over Lockerby, Scotlnd. That was an eye opener, and look how long ago that happened.

That being said, I hope this was an eye opener for Putin. Nobody is exempt here, particularly when he has ventured in to Syria to support a despot, which seems to be the only kind of leader that evolves from those mid eastern countries.

Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Interesting comments here, my DH, a former AF pilot, says more people are killed every day on the roads than in airplane accidents!!!

You're absolutely right but your chances of surviving a car crash are better than surviving a plane crash.  I can't count the number of times I have flown and have had a couple of scary flights.  I am and always have been a white knuckle flier.  I hate being confined in a small space 35,000 feet above the ground.  I envy those who have no fear of flying.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The lastest news from CNN is that it just might have been ISIS, or a sympathizer who planted a bomb on the Russian plane that blew up on Saturday, killing all 224 people on board.

Too many lone wolves out there for the government to keep tack of.

What's to prevent it from happening here?

Unfortunately, there's nothing to prevent it from happening here but, we can't shut ourselves off from life!  If we become so afraid to live as we normally have,  we may as well wave that white flag of surrender because at that point, we've given terrorism the win.

Respected Contributor

Always nervous when flying but if I was given the oppurtunity I would say a prayer and take it. We can't live in fear of the unkown.

Honored Contributor

KentuckyWoman wrote:

hooty wrote:

You're absolutely right but your chances of surviving a car crash are better than surviving a plane crash.  I can't count the number of times I have flown and have had a couple of scary flights.  I am and always have been a white knuckle flier.  I hate being confined in a small space 35,000 feet above the ground.  I envy those who have no fear of flying.

my father was a traveler who flew a number of times a year all over the world from the time he was 26 years old.....never had any problems.....

11 years ago he was a mile away from home in his car, headed out on a friday evening, and he was killed by a drunk driver.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

my father was a traveler who flew a number of times a year all over the world from the time he was 26 years old.....never had any problems.....

11 years ago he was a mile away from home in his car, headed out on a friday evening, and he was killed by a drunk driver.

So sorry for your loss sunshine. 

Honored Contributor

thank you @AngusandBuddhasMom ......you just NEVER know what will happen when you step your foot out of the door.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein