Valued Contributor

Re: I Don't Want to Fly Anymore

Well I used to fly a lot but now not so much.  I go to Hawaii and thats it.  I don't want to go to Europe etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer flying than any other form of travel.

I don't live in fear.  I will enjoy my travels or as long as I can.

I will never travel outside of the USA though.  No other country deserves my travel dollars.

Respected Contributor

Flying is by far statistically the safest method of travel. The most dangerous part of your trip is the drive to and from the airport. I don't care for flying as I have a hard time choosing what to pack. The TSA gauntlet is somewhat annoying too. 

Trusted Contributor

I have always had a fear of flying.........years before 9/11 happened.  My fear of flying has nothing to do with terrorists.  There is NO place I want to see bad enough that I would EVER get on a plane.  Fortunately and thankfully, all my family live anywhere from 1 to 3 hours away.  I drive 2 hours every other weekend to take care of my mother and then of course 2 hours back the next day, and I've been doing that for almost 20 years.  Even if it was 5 hours each way, I would still drive.  

Esteemed Contributor

The purpose of terrorism is to instill terror and if it stops you from flying they have succeeded.  I have a bucket list and worked 50 years to do it.  If I die trying, it was my time.  I don't find long road trips to be fun or comfortable and something I really don't want to do.  Some airlines have better security than others so I select an airline with a good record; they are rated.  The answer is to have better security and training at airports not for those who love to fly, like me, to curtail my travels...no way! 

Honored Contributor

I don't enjoy flying, but I do it.  Occasionally my job requires me to fly, plus family is 1,000 miles away.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

What is to stop an ISIS sympathizer from planting a bomb on board one of our planes?

It doesn't have to come through the check point in order to get on the plane.

Plaid pants...are you  the the poster who was Yuban in the past?   The TSA agent?  If so...then I dont think I want to fly anymore, either.  

Respected Contributor

I have flown enough in my lifetime.  Now when we travel, we drive.  I have always hated flying even before 9/11.  All the uncertainty just adds to my anxiety.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to live my life in fear.  I wish to live a quality life no matter how long I live.  

So I fly, I eat bacon and butter.  Yes, I will die.  We all will.  I enjoy life and no threat is going to keep me from it.  Every day is a gift and I feel blessed.

However, that being said, flying is NOT fun any more.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

What is to stop an ISIS sympathizer from planting a bomb on board one of our planes?

It doesn't have to come through the check point in order to get on the plane.

So...how do you think these bombs are getting on the planes?