Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Want to Fly Anymore

There's no wrong answer here , we just have to do what makes us comfortable .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

There's a great big world out there and I won't stop flying. Isn't it still safer than getting in your car, your RV, your whatever. 

IMO people who generally proclaim they'll stop flying, never flew much to begin with.

Honored Contributor

No one or no group will keep me from my loved ones or from seeing this big beautiful world.

I will not live in fear of what may happen.

Esteemed Contributor

I am leaving in a few days for Florida with my daughters family and this...along with the reports of people becoming unruly on planes is giving me alot of anxiety....

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune ... all the checking into why the crash happens is AFTER the plane has crashed & THE PEOPLE ARE DEAD!!!!  ... not only do people that fly have to deal with all the crazy people involved with terrorism but, they also have to deal with the incompent people that work for the airlines starting with the people that check the luggage before allowing people on the plane ..... too many crazy, incompent  people out there have our lives in their hands when we choose to fly ..... I gave up flying many years ago ... as far as I am concern if I have to fly to get someplace then it just isn't worth it.

@fortune wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The lastest news from CNN is that it just might have been ISIS, or a sympathizer who planted a bomb on the Russian plane that blew up on Saturday, killing all 224 people on board.

Too many lone wolves out there for the government to keep tack of.

What's to prevent it from happening here?

Airplane travel is the safest way to go!!! Google it and you'll see how small your chances are for being in a plane crash.  Part of what makes it safe is the way they go over every detail of the crash, including the black boxes, the crash site, the debris, the plane maintenance records, and every detail of the passengers.  They learn so much that the chance of a repeat accident from the same cause is cut way down.  If someone put a bomb aboard, they'll find out exactly who was involved, including crew or maintenance members and how they got the bomb on board.  I can't think of any other accident that is studied more closely than a plane crash.

Honored Contributor

There's not much that can be done that will give us total safety and I know that when a plane goes down, the numbers are frightening, but that's also true about auto accidents, shootings, fires, etc.  When large numbers are killed, it feels even worse that same number of deaths that occur one at a time.

Still,I will be going places that I feel are essentially safe, knowing that there are risks even as I do.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm old enough to remember the glory days of flight but they're long gone. There are only three places I'll fly to...Orlando because my daughter and grandchildren live there, San Francisco because my best friend and many in my family live there, and France because I am an incurable Francophile. Flying has become a nightmare but if you think domestic flying is bad, it's a day at the beach compared to international. This year, for the first time in over 20 years, I didn't go to France. I went to Québec City. It was delightful.

When I heard about the tragic Russian plane crash, my first thought was that it could be ISIS or one of their allies. Russia going into Syria opened them up to terrorism. I wonder what Putin will do after his denials of terrorism fall on deaf ears, with all the evidence that will come in to prove this was another evil terrorist attack on innocent people.

Honored Contributor

I'm not crazy about tight quarters, no matter where.  Especially during cold and flu seasons.  Some people don't carry tissues anymore.  I think that bothers me the most.  Wishing every traveler safety and good health.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

If it weren't for air travel, I might never see my son, his wife and my granddaughter again.  I'll take my chances.  I just can't live my life around the "what ifs".

Well said. I am three days away from my family by car and 5 hours by plane. I would need a week's vacation just to drive there, spend one day with them, then turn around and come back, spending hundreds of dollars on hotels and gas along the way. I would much rather spend the money on a plane ticket and spend 12 hours of travel and waiting at the airport and the rest of the week with my family.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad that I did the majority of my air travel before 9/11.

I have been flying within the U.S. and internationally since I was five years old.

After college I worked in the travel industry and for two airlines before I changed career paths.

Nowadays it's just too unpleasant to fly imo, for many reasons, not just the terrorist aspect.

I'm lucky that I have my immediate family within driving distance.  I'm happy where I'm at, and lucky to live in a beautiful place that many come from elsewhere to visit.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero