Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

[ Edited ]

Yep electricity is made from fossil fuels, natural gas, nuclear etc. Some power plants that are dreamed bad for the environment that they tell California's they are shutting down are renewed on a yearly base. Cough ,cough AES Hunting Beach on their 20th year . Add in the video of the guy using his gas powered electric charging station to carge his car and you just go "Say what?!"

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

I have a KIA hybrid (gas/battery).  My second one.  It's great.  I put gas in it every 2 weeks or so.  The only downside is in Ohio I have to pay $100.00 more for my license plate sticker because, supposedly, I'm not paying my share of the gas tax because I don't use that much.  What a scam.  I paid way more than the price of the "average" car for my car, state/local taxes and all.  Everybody has an angle.

Esteemed Contributor

The Terminator told his citizens that if you get a Hybrid you get to use the diamond lane solo. Husband got one to make the commute on the 101. A year later that rule was rescinded. Try selling a used Hybrid. I could go on and on.....So I won't.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

A couple of weeks ago we took a trip to Pennsylvania, 130 miles one way.  Not one sign for a charging station any where along the way in either direction.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I would like one.  Or a hybrid.  Personal inconveniences here-and-there would be insignificant compared to environmental benefits to society at-large..

Respected Contributor

Would you willingly spend 30 minutes in a deserted parking lot at 11:30 p.m.? Advise your child or loved one to do it?

Probably not, but electric vehicle owners frequently face that prospect when they need to charge a vehicle away from home.

It’s not uncommon for smartphone apps to send drivers to "public" EV chargers in the back lot of a closed car dealership, an empty corner of a big-box store parking lot, or otherwise tucked out of sight. 

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2021/12/11/ev-charger-stations-locations/88597370...

Dec, 2021

A new report from The Detroit Free Press shines a light on a growing problem with regard to promoting EV adoption: EV charging locations that are in dimly lit and sometimes dangerous areas.

The newspaper spoke to several industry experts who agreed that the location of many EV chargers, which are often in deserted parking lots, behind businesses or tucked in a corner somewhere, could pose a danger to motorists who need to charge up late at night.

Moreover, consumers may be put off by the prospect of ever owning an EV if they believe they could become stranded at one of these less-than-desirable charging locations...

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why don't they make electric cars with self-charging batteries where they get recharged by the the wheels going round and round while you drive down the road??

I believe that is what a Hybrid is.

My sis has one.  She never has to plug it in, but it goes to electric....

she saves a lot on gas cuz it uses the electric part in many instances.

However, she paid $35K more for the thing than I did on almost the exact size SUV.

Not sure she'll live to see the savings!!

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Or a pet. Even if you are just a half mile from a charging station, you need towed there to use it. I'm not anti reducing fossil fuel, my house is all electric but I don't need to charge it.

Where do you think electricity comes from - the vast bulk of it? Are you using nuclear energy - that's the only one at this point that doesn't rely heavily on fossil fuels to work.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why don't they make electric cars with self-charging batteries where they get recharged by the the wheels going round and round while you drive down the road??

@SilleeMee 

Clearly, they are still working the bugs out ........

I distinctly recall this was in the planning stages several years ago.    That hybrid would hold both gas and electric batteries/whatever.   While driving using the gas powered engine, it was also automatically re-charging the electric mechanisms ... basically, a self-charging car.  

Not well-versed on the subject, but don't they already have those?  

If I "had" to make a change, I want one of those.

Yes I've had hybrids since they first came out.  Really cut down on gas usage.  Until we can figure out how to actually make electricity WITHOUT fossil fuels, this electric car thing is ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying the robust analysis on this thread, about the full range of consequences to heavy-handed insistence on a one-size-fits-all, all-electric changeover. 

As I already sensed, most people have a much more realistic and balanced view of the pros and cons, than legacy media will ever allow into their one-sided discussions.   This is encouraging.