Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

@lgfan wrote:
I also don't want an electric car but I live in California and by 2035 I won't be able to purchase a NEW gas powered car. I have thirteen years to figure out a solution to this problem

@lgfan 

I also live in CA and we see older cars all over ... many years old that manage very well because of the mild weather.  As long as they still sell gas, I think new cars sold in 2034 in CA will hit records not to be believed.  

Honored Contributor

Don't think anyone gets "banned for life" here. Anything goes these days.
"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

And how is all the electricity for the cars going to be generated?

Nuclear power plants are no longer being built and are being shut down. Coal mining is being killed. So is drilling for gas. And pipelines are being closed.

Saw an article tonight that trees in forest are being cut down. They are making wood pellets for people in Europe this winter.

So how are we going to have all the electricity we will need. Guess we will only be able to drive a car when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing.

I am so glad that there is a well thought out plan in place for all these electric cars. 

And I didn't even touch on all the minerals needed to make the batteries. China has already cornered the market of many of the minerals needed. And can you see large companies parking lots? It is hard enough getting a parking spot at times. Imagine the arguments over who gets to park near a charger.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why don't they make electric cars with self-charging batteries where they get recharged by the the wheels going round and round while you drive down the road??

@SilleeMee 

Clearly, they are still working the bugs out ........

I distinctly recall this was in the planning stages several years ago.    That hybrid would hold both gas and electric batteries/whatever.   While driving using the gas powered engine, it was also automatically re-charging the electric mechanisms ... basically, a self-charging car.  

Not well-versed on the subject, but don't they already have those?  

If I "had" to make a change, I want one of those.

Contributor

I also will not buy an electric car. I live in Nevada and usually whatever California does, we follow. I hope that we will not make it mandatory.
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why don't they make electric cars with self-charging batteries where they get recharged by the the wheels going round and round while you drive down the road??

@SilleeMee 

Clearly, they are still working the bugs out ........

I distinctly recall this was in the planning stages several years ago.    That hybrid would hold both gas and electric batteries/whatever.   While driving using the gas powered engine, it was also automatically re-charging the electric mechanisms ... basically, a self-charging car.  

Not well-versed on the subject, but don't they already have those?  

If I "had" to make a change, I want one of those.

@Tinkrbl44 

Hybrid...exactly.

Esteemed Contributor

I am looking forward to buying an electric vehicle. We will wait until more infrastructure rolls out and more choices become available. I think in 2-3 years and for sure less than 5, we will see all sorts of choices for electric vehicles offered.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Well, hypothetically, if gasoline goes up to $70 a gallon in 2035, I sure would be interested in cars with SOLAR PANELS.

Obviously, I'm just making this up, but who knows what gas will cost then .... it's recently been $8 a gallon in some countries.

And what if the oil/gas reserves underground dwindle?  I don't think we ought to assume there is an endless supply of crude underground. 

Big mistake not to plan ahead, even if we're not alive to see it.  Future generations will still need transportation.

Honored Contributor

I actually was looking into the Mustang Mach E in the last week.

I googled charging stations for a road trip were were going to take in Nov. from NJ coast to Chicago area.  TONS of charging stations (I think Ford installs them?   Could be wrong about that!).  But lots of places to stop along the way.  

AAA will tow your car to a charging station.

I do believe some models have a back up battery?  I'm not positive as it wasn't a model I was looking at.  I don't want ALL the bells and whistles on mine.

Problem is, I can't find one in the tri state area.  Not even a USED one to try out as I'm NOT buying something sight unseen.  (I'm just not one of those people.)  I'm more concerned about comfort, my husband is tall and sliding down into a low rider is not an option.

I'm not against electric and I say that as someone who has lived for almost 40 years off of an oil company executive's pay and have worked in an oil refinery myself.  Inside the gate, not in an office.

But if they take away the gas, what are we going to do?  I can ride a beach bike only so far.....

Respected Contributor

I don't think electric vehicles are ready for primetime yet. I know two people who have had Teslas since they were first available.  They have family about 130 miles away and they have 20% battery left when they get there.They have to wait 7 hours to recharge it when they arrive, so they almost have to spend the night and can't take any side trips on their way home. Not enough places to charge on the road yet.  
A family member is in environmental law enforcement. He said there are hundreds of thousands of old car batteries, and now many electric car batteries, piling up in arroyos, lakes, or canals all across the country; the amount of toxic chemicals leaking into the water is incredible. He said the fish and waterfowl he sees poisoned by this is horrible. There is a big fee to dispose of the electric car batteries since they can weigh 1k lbs. I don't want to be confined to travel based on how long my car will stay charged. I also don't want to be told I must drive something I don't want and can't afford. 
They need to get ALL of their ducks in a row before mandating EVs for everyone.