Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

[ Edited ]

I won't be buying one.  Then again I probably will not be buying another car in my remaining years.  I drove my last one 15 years before I got my current brand new car.  At 60 I am expecting this Escape to drive me to the cemetery.  The whole concept of electric car does not appeal to me but then I am a Texan we do like oil.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@occasionalrain    I agree.  But I thought I heard on the news that there will no longer be gas powered cars by 2035.

@KatieB 

No, They will stop selling gasoline powered cars by the year 2035.

@icezeus   That's what I said wasn't it???  

@KatieB   No that is not what you said.  You said that there would be no gas powered cars by 2035.  You did not say that they would stop selling them.

@icezeus   Is correct-the gas powered vehicles will no longer be produced but those who still had them would still be able to drive them.

So it isn't that all gas cars would be gone but good luck finding gas for them, imo.

Let me correct my statement - I meant to say "NO NEW GAS POWERED CARS BY 2035".   IS THAT BETTER FOR YOU FOLKS?????  

Yes.

Remember, the efforts to get away from dirty fuel are just beginning. A lot will happen and change by 2035. The time to look ahead is now if you want your great grandkids to survive the filth that is currently in our water, land, and air.

The key is to look ahead and not freak over it. It'll all work out in the end. 

The people in this thread are not the target market for EVs. There are people in this forum who still don't even own smart phones.

This thread is exclusively an anti-EV thread. It's in the title. I'm just glad that younger people who can handle the technology are taking the lead on it. None of us around here are needed.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

In the late 1980 s my mother got suckered into buying solar power roof plates to generate the hot water heater, since we had well water,,it’s a good thing we lived in Florida because I had a lot of cold showers, she was out 4 grand , dint work then, probably don’t work well now!

@Graydoxiechick 

Not to get OT, but I live in Southern CA and for at least 5 years now I have noticed large areas of road have street lights with little solar plates on the top. 

As it gets dark, the solar power kicks in and the street lights go on.  It was a shock the first time I saw them, but not sure why.   Time marches on.   

Here in Alabama there exists solar lighting as well.   I see small solar panels everywhere, they may  power traffic cameras too. Excellent use of solar.    Lots of sunny days in Alabama, wouldn't work in Alaska.   But that's the whole point.   To force us into one source of power is not sustainable.   One of the reasons we are not a 3rd world country is our abundance of power to give us the modern lifestyle we enjoy & take for granted.    To demonize the coal & gas industry is not the way to go.

@software 

ITA .... I think we will have MANY different options coming up in the next few years.

I just heard the second half of an NPR interview about minerals being mined in the Pacific ocean that are supposedly "perfect" for electric car batteries somewhere near Tonga.  I missed a lot of the facts, but it tells me many things will contribute to the slow transition.  The Tonganese government will benefit from this, and is quite excited about it, but I didn't catch anything else about it.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  

@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...

The world is just beginning to act. It doesn't change overnight. It takes time.

There are always people who will make political points or make money by bashing the plans to save the planet.

• Just look at the senator blocked so much this year - he owns a big coal company and money is more important to him than the future of the planet and generations to come.  

And there are always naysayers because people refuse to look ahead further than their own noses.  The "it's all about me" attitude is what's ruining our country in many ways.

Not only do you seem to refuse to see the facts but you clearly don't know what's really going on. It's compliance with the agendas (plural) that is ruining our country as well as the others that are going along with it.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Oh, boy .....  Refuse to see the facts?  Compliance with agendas?  Seriously?  

If you truly believe what you wrote, then you need to have a MUCH wider range of news sources.   

Honored Contributor

Question for anyone that knows .......  

So far, solar panels actually do work well in some situations, but the comment comes up about sunshine.

Does the sun actually HAVE to be shining to charge the solar panels?  I ask this because you can still get a very bad sunburn on a cloudy day .... so obviously the "sunshine" is still getting through.  

Do solar panels still get any charge when it's cloudy?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Question for anyone that knows .......  

So far, solar panels actually do work well in some situations, but the comment comes up about sunshine.

Does the sun actually HAVE to be shining to charge the solar panels?  I ask this because you can still get a very bad sunburn on a cloudy day .... so obviously the "sunshine" is still getting through.  

Do solar panels still get any charge when it's cloudy?

Not nearly enough. That's why people get those Tesla powerwalls. They're home batteries that can store the energy for when it's not sunny out.

It's kind of a 'lifestyle' to dive deep into this stuff. I can't think of very many posters here who would enjoy it one bit. Again, not the target market. They are right that they would be miserable. The world does not need more miserable people, so they should continue to stay far away.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  

@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...

There are always people who will make political points or make money by bashing the plans to save the planet.

• Just look at the senator blocked so much this year - he owns a big coal company and money is more important to him than the future of the planet and generations to come.  

And there are always naysayers because people refuse to look ahead further than their own noses.  The "it's all about me" attitude is what's ruining our country in many ways.

Not only do you seem to refuse to see the facts but you clearly don't know what's really going on. It's compliance with the agendas (plural) that is ruining our country as well as the others that are going along with it.

Whose agenda are you referring to here? Are you referring to political figures?

This thread seems to have taken a very political tone about specific controversial aspects of California politics very early on.

No

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Oh, boy .....  Refuse to see the facts?  Compliance with agendas?  Seriously?  

If you truly believe what you wrote, then you need to have a MUCH wider range of news sources.   

Anyone who's read through this thread can see there are more downsides to EV's than positives and that the whole premise that's being touted is false (ie the environment will be better off). 

As far as news sources, I'm not the one who's been listening to the biased info and then spouting it as truth.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Anyone who's read through this thread can see there are more downsides to EV's than positives and that the whole premise that's being touted is false (ie the environment will be better off). 

As far as news sources, I'm not the one who's been listening to the biased info and then spouting it as truth.

Why would anyone who likes EVs read the whole thread? It's for anti-EV people. You said so yourself.

Honored Contributor

Same old political posts that are supposedly not allowed
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"