Respected Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

I understand many of the charging stations are underwater in Florida due to the hurricane. I wonder if they are even salvageable. I am guessing the number of EVs in Florida is probably not as great as California, but if EVs are supposed to be one and only type of vehicles after 2035, they need to be thinking about the " unintended consequences" that seem pretty obvious to many. The expense seems to be increasing with every report I see. As long as everyone's income increases proportionally with it, easy-Peary. Unfortunately, that's not the real world. 

Honored Contributor

It's so clear, to people who live in the real world, that a blind, un-nuanced push for electric vehicles has taken place without thinking through all the ramifications, and the negative unintended--  or in some cases-- intended, consequences. 

It's never too late for common sense to reappear, and I hope it will.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also just read that battery powered vehicles are exploding from water damage in Florida.  As the batteries corrode, fires start.  Apparently it's not a problem that firefighters have encountered, and they are difficult to put out.

Esteemed Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

I also just read that battery powered vehicles are exploding from water damage in Florida.  As the batteries corrode, fires start.  Apparently it's not a problem that firefighters have encountered, and they are difficult to put out.

Yep, lots of fires.  Wait till homeowners insurance rates go up for EV owners, especially garage kept.   

Of course all this is being ignored, for the most part.

Respected Contributor

Disposal of the old batteries is a huge environmenatl issue. Some have been found in the ocean. 

DD and SIL have been on a waiting list for two Rivians for two. years....today I saw most of them have been recaled. Now I saw that some of the EVs in Florida that were waterlogged with saltwater during the hurricane are bursting into flames or exploding.....the entire concept of EV seems far from ready for primetime.

Nordstrom Rack  and a couple of other stores here have moved their handiapped parking places close to the front doors and replaced them with "reserved for EV" signs.

They don't even have charging stations there....so why do those with handicapped tags have to park four rows away n the parking lot? I think it may violate ADA standards.

Respected Contributor

Last night on our local news a car expert said charging your EV overnight at home will cost approximately three times as much as it does to run your A/C overnight. He seemed to think that was a postive reason to buy an EV.

Respected Contributor

I think trying to remove gas-powered cars from being sold by 2035 and requiring only EV purchases then is a pipe-dream. Far too many big issues will need to be solved and new infrastructure put into place before California or any other state can really make that possible. I plan on hanging on to my current car for as long as possible; DH is looking at getting a new car in the next month or so and that will be theh last care we will have. Buying an EV could not be farther from my interest.

Valued Contributor

NO!

Frequent Contributor

I also live in California.  I don't like electric cars either.  I think a hybrid will be in our future.  I don't think our politicians have put clear thinking into this along with a lot of our other issues.

Super Contributor

We have one of each......a Tesla and a Lexus NX.  For us, it's the best of both worlds.