Respected Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

@chiclets wrote:

NO

Not in today's world and what is happening all around.

No to placing a time limit on when this EV thing should happen.

No for economic reasons and because we have the energy we need for survival. SURVIVAL for right now and the coming years ahead is important.

Until the EV industry advances it's own common sense production needs to sustain the people, only then, should it be recognized.  Right now it is not up to par and in ten years then you may have answers and THEN you can consider the reality.

Everything in my home is electric and in winter and summer we encounter days without power.  In New England winters are harsh and deep in snow and the EV industry must meet those needs.

Yes we have generators.

You are talking about thousands of dollars for the average individual.  Money the average person does not have.  I do not.

Forget being the first in the world to accomplish this.

Reality now is to live with what you have not what you want. 

Imagine freezing to death because you EV died in the middle of a snowstorm.  Living and life first, environment is idea to grow but not now, not for the egos of groups.

You are 100% right,

Honored Contributor

I hadn't expected there would be so many who also don't want a plug in car, or that others would see the multitude of negatives involved  with them. I care about the environment, but not for future generations. It has been recent generations that have created the pollution of land, sea, and air. I can't believe future generations will make it better. I think we are at or quite near the point of no return

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    Isn't that already being worked toward as we discuss here?  

I don't pay careful attention to what's happening because I'm highly unlikely to be driving by the time electric vehicles might be mandated.  Lots of time before 2035 for things to change!

Right now where I am in a condo community where there's no way to have a personal charging station, so electric would be a nightmare, but I know people who have added electric lines in their garages for their cars. 

They like what they're driving although I have no idea how many of them have only one car. Maybe they're using hybrids or total gas powered for trips?

Super Contributor

Just read on the internet tonight that California also seeks to ban sales of diesel commercial trucks.  I wonder how long it will take to charge the batteries on big trucks, and what the range is..  I've only traveled to SF, and after sitting in a taxi in traffic for miles, I can't imagine.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@CalminHeart 

Just as there are those who refuse to look at both the pros and cons. Remember when plastic was promoted, light weight, nonbreakable, inexpensive... 

This makes me remember that scene in the movie "The Graduate" when they announced that plastic was the future. That scared me then and now.

Regular Contributor

DO I WANT AN ELECTRIC CAR?  ABSOLUTELY NO!

Respected Contributor

All Im going to say is this:

There is not one single electric repair truck in Florida or South Carolina right now restoring power.  

Contributor

I read that a replacement battery for an electric car costs about $26,000!

Super Contributor

No way. I live in Texas. Because...grid. 'Nuff said.

(Even when I move out of Texas I will not be interested in an electric car.)

Super Contributor

When that comes to pass, what will low income and middle class people do for transportation? Electric cars are expensive. This regulation will cause people with modest incomes to rely on public transportation and what will power the busses? Batteries? The whole idea is promoted by environmentalists who don't care about those who may be negatively affected by this.