Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,710
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@Porcelain wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:



Anyone who's read through this thread can see there are more downsides to EV's than positives and that the whole premise that's being touted is false (ie the environment will be better off). 

 

As far as news sources, I'm not the one who's been listening to the biased info and then spouting it as truth.


Why would anyone who likes EVs read the whole thread? It's for anti-EV people. You said so yourself.


 

@Porcelain 

 

LOL ....  That's almost like "talking out of both sides of their mouth".  

 

Well, as we all know, this is an evolving technology.  Even those who have no desire to get an EV might change their minds next year if some massive development comes along that changes everything.  

 

It's certainly happened before, and it will happen again.  Things evolve, and new ideas can make life turn on a dime.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,364
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@Cakers3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

 


@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd love to have a hybrid or all electric car.  

 

It's just the beginning of the change to electric so it's not surprising there are naysayers. It's the way of the future and I'm thrilled to see carmakers using something other than gas. 

 

 

@CalminHeart 

 

Don't expect to be around when this all electric, or who knows, windmill powered cars hit the roads. 

 

Naysayers you say? Many in California with these super high $$$ EV's, are now told not to charge them at certain hours of the day! 

 

Seems like they would be smart enough to build an Electric Grid that can handle their present load. Nah! That would make too much sense. Let the horse out of the barn first, than decide how to catch up with it.

 

Check all the rare "environmental sources" that are mined(yes mined using diesel fueled equipment) for China to make these monstrosities called a Battery. And wonder how to dispose of the thousands of $$$$ worth of precious metals. Oh, send them into outer space, that'll do it!

 

Call me a very vocal naysayer that says: "Follow the example of Henry Ford, don't make cars before the roads are built where you can drive them". Heck, even Elon Musk knows he needs fossil fuels to make his Tesla, and he remembers how Henry Ford did it. Kept the horse and buggy until there were roads to drive those motorized contraptions, as they were called.

 

My name for an EV?  Never mind!

 

hckynut  🇺🇸


 

As I said elsewhere, the "it's all about me" attitude and "whataboutism" are killing our country and our planet. It's time to look ahead. People are innovative and brilliant, and science always takes people beyond that kind of thinking. 

 

A lot can happen in 10 or 20 years. There have been countless advances in technology, electronics, streaming, smart home, and science in the last 10 years. Did they all appear overnight? No. 

 

Texas is the only one with an isolated power grid. Texans can complain all they want but nothing will change until they stop voting for politicians who support corporate interests and greed.

 

The super hot temperatures are our future and it'll affect some power grid sections more than others. And problems will continue as long as people vote for politicians who refuse look beyond their bank accounts and big oil/coal donors.  

 

And no, I probably won't be here to see it all in place. That doesn't mean I will bash what's in the future. I care about my kids, grandkids, and future generations and hope they can live with cleaner water, land, and air than we will have if we sit back and do nothing.  


@CalminHeart   Some of your points are not valid.

 

I have yet to meet anybody who doesn't care about future generations.  Just because some posters here have concerns about EV's and battery production does not mean that they do not care about the environment.  People may care but are they willing to do anything about it?  If not, IMO, they don't really care much if at all.

 

Your assessment that EV's are the key to reducing pollution fails to  address the production of such items and that electricity does not generate all by itself.   There are many ways to generate electricity. We have to plan ahead and use the alternatives. Oil and Gas won't go away overnight. 

 

In 2019, e.g., approx. 1/5 of SO2 reductions came from Texas.

 

Also in 2019 NOx was reduced by 1/4 in Ohio, Texas, and Indiana.

 

In 2020 Texas produced the most electricity by wind power, although it is also to note that the electricity produced by wind power only accounted for approx. 20% of electricity. 

 

It is unfair and lacking substance when people are accused of not caring and are all about "me".

 

It is very easy to pick at one state when it is obvious the stats have not been investigated; and I suspect it has more to do with disdain for such a state than anything else.  I mentioned one state as an example. Don't miss the point.

 

You have your opinions but you consistently fail to recognize that there is more to all of this than EV's.  Yes, there is having clean air to breathe, unpolluted waterways, clean land for farming and playing, etc etc. 

 

What have YOU done all these decades?  Have you reduced YOUR carbon footprint?  Have you consistently refused to purchase plastic bottle, refused to eat take out (where does everyone think disposable containers etc. go?)   Besides pointing out the harm to the environment have YOU consistently kept up with innovations and stats instead of picking at just one state?  Yes, I have made huge changes over the last 2 decades. What about you?

 

Environmental causes have swung back and forth; no paper bags, just plastic.  No plastic bags, just paper.  People forget about Love Canal e.g.

 

While I agree with you whole-heartedly that we need better control of the damage to the Earth, we, in the USA, cannot fix it all unless ALL couuntriesl around the world participate.  Someone has to start. Why should we wait until someone else starts?  Why should we wait until someone else does it? Why can't we lead in something? Besides, if you learn about countless European countries, you'd know they are lightyears ahead of the U.S. in doing things to help. Even China has reduced their smog.

 

I cannot, however, take all of your posts in total because you fail to acknowledge some of the other stats/facts that have been presented to you.  

 

We can all be flag wavers about the environment but I will take seriously only those who have been addressing the concerns for decades, and not just recently because it is the cause du jour.  You don't know what I do or don't do.  My guess is many would whine even more if they did as much as I do.


 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,364
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Question for anyone that knows .......  

 

So far, solar panels actually do work well in some situations, but the comment comes up about sunshine.

 

Does the sun actually HAVE to be shining to charge the solar panels?  I ask this because you can still get a very bad sunburn on a cloudy day .... so obviously the "sunshine" is still getting through.  

 

Do solar panels still get any charge when it's cloudy?

 

 


 

Energy is not always based on sunlight. If one uses reputable solar panels, they charge from the sun's energy, not just sunlight.  For example, we can still get sunburned when it's cloudy.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,364
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.


 

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  


@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...


 

The world is just beginning to act. It doesn't change overnight. It takes time.

 

There are always people who will make political points or make money by bashing the plans to save the planet.

  • Just look at the senator blocked so much this year - he owns a big coal company and money is more important to him than the future of the planet and generations to come.  

And there are always naysayers because people refuse to look ahead further than their own noses.  The "it's all about me" attitude is what's ruining our country in many ways.


Not only do you seem to refuse to see the facts but you clearly don't know what's really going on. It's compliance with the agendas (plural) that is ruining our country as well as the others that are going along with it.


 

@ThinkingOutLoud 

 

Oh, boy .....  Refuse to see the facts?  Compliance with agendas?  Seriously?  

 

If you truly believe what you wrote, then you need to have a MUCH wider range of news sources.   


Anyone who's read through this thread can see there are more downsides to EV's than positives and that the whole premise that's being touted is false (ie the environment will be better off). 

 

As far as news sources, I'm not the one who's been listening to the biased info and then spouting it as truth.


 

Science is real. If you really believe climate change isn't happening, you need to change where you get your information. Go to non-partisan sources. Go to actual scientific sources. Forget the talking heads. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,725
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@Jaspertimes wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

And how is all the electricity for the cars going to be generated?

Nuclear power plants are no longer being built and are being shut down. Coal mining is being killed. So is drilling for gas. And pipelines are being closed.

 

Saw an article tonight that trees in forest are being cut down. They are making wood pellets for people in Europe this winter.

 

So how are we going to have all the electricity we will need. Guess we will only be able to drive a car when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing.

 

I am so glad that there is a well thought out plan in place for all these electric cars. 

 

And I didn't even touch on all the minerals needed to make the batteries. China has already cornered the market of many of the minerals needed. And can you see large companies parking lots? It is hard enough getting a parking spot at times. Imagine the arguments over who gets to park near a charger.





 

I agree 100%.  Also, the batteries are toxic to dispose of.  Where will they go?  And the batteries are expensive!!  


Add me ,  I also 100% agree with all you've pointed out !

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,230
Registered: ‎06-08-2016

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

In the late 1980 s my mother got suckered into buying solar power roof plates to generate the hot water heater, since we had well water,,it’s a good thing we lived in Florida because I had a lot of cold showers, she was out 4 grand , dint work then, probably don’t work well now!


 

@Graydoxiechick 

 

Not to get OT, but I live in Southern CA and for at least 5 years now I have noticed large areas of road have street lights with little solar plates on the top. 

 

As it gets dark, the solar power kicks in and the street lights go on.  It was a shock the first time I saw them, but not sure why.   Time marches on.   

 

 


Here in Alabama there exists solar lighting as well.   I see small solar panels everywhere, they may  power traffic cameras too. Excellent use of solar.    Lots of sunny days in Alabama, wouldn't work in Alaska.   But that's the whole point.   To force us into one source of power is not sustainable.   One of the reasons we are not a 3rd world country is our abundance of power to give us the modern lifestyle we enjoy & take for granted.    To demonize the coal & gas industry is not the way to go.


 

@software 

 

ITA .... I think we will have MANY different options coming up in the next few years.

 

I just heard the second half of an NPR interview about minerals being mined in the Pacific ocean that are supposedly "perfect" for electric car batteries somewhere near Tonga.  I missed a lot of the facts, but it tells me many things will contribute to the slow transition.  The Tonganese government will benefit from this, and is quite excited about it, but I didn't catch anything else about it.

 

 


Do a deep dive on that one.   Tonga was given permission years ago but their corrupt government sold the rights to the highest bidder.  Oh well

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,820
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

@CalminHeart 

Just as there are those who refuse to look at both the pros and cons. Remember when plastic was promoted, light weight, nonbreakable, inexpensive... 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,736
Registered: ‎02-19-2014

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?


@occasionalrain wrote:

@CalminHeart 

Just as there are those who refuse to look at both the pros and cons. Remember when plastic was promoted, light weight, nonbreakable, inexpensive... 


 

You don't own any plastic?

 

Baby Confused Quotes. QuotesGram

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,433
Registered: ‎03-29-2020

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

For a bushel of reasons, no.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎07-01-2012

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

NO

 

Not in today's world and what is happening all around.

 

No to placing a time limit on when this EV thing should happen.

 

No for economic reasons and because we have the energy we need for survival. SURVIVAL for right now and the coming years ahead is important.

 

Until the EV industry advances it's own common sense production needs to sustain the people, only then, should it be recognized.  Right now it is not up to par and in ten years then you may have answers and THEN you can consider the reality.

 

Everything in my home is electric and in winter and summer we encounter days without power.  In New England winters are harsh and deep in snow and the EV industry must meet those needs.

 

Yes we have generators.

 

You are talking about thousands of dollars for the average individual.  Money the average person does not have.  I do not.

 

Forget being the first in the world to accomplish this.

 

Reality now is to live with what you have not what you want. 

 

Imagine freezing to death because you EV died in the middle of a snowstorm.  Living and life first, environment is idea to grow but not now, not for the egos of groups.