Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

@KatieB wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@occasionalrain    I agree.  But I thought I heard on the news that there will no longer be gas powered cars by 2035.

@KatieB 

No, They will stop selling gasoline powered cars by the year 2035.

@icezeus   That's what I said wasn't it???  

@KatieB   No that is not what you said.  You said that there would be no gas powered cars by 2035.  You did not say that they would stop selling them.

@icezeus   Is correct-the gas powered vehicles will no longer be produced but those who still had them would still be able to drive them.

So it isn't that all gas cars would be gone but good luck finding gas for them, imo.

Let me correct my statement - I meant to say "NO NEW GAS POWERED CARS BY 2035".   IS THAT BETTER FOR YOU FOLKS?????  

Yes.

Remember, the efforts to get away from dirty fuel are just beginning. A lot will happen and change by 2035. The time to look ahead is now if you want your great grandkids to survive the filth that is currently in our water, land, and air.

The key is to look ahead and not freak over it. It'll all work out in the end. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd love to have a hybrid or all electric car.  

It's just the beginning of the change to electric so it's not surprising there are naysayers. It's the way of the future and I'm thrilled to see carmakers using something other than gas. 

@CalminHeart 

Don't expect to be around when this all electric, or who knows, windmill powered cars hit the roads. 

Naysayers you say? Many in California with these super high $$$ EV's, are now told not to charge them at certain hours of the day! 

Seems like they would be smart enough to build an Electric Grid that can handle their present load. Nah! That would make too much sense. Let the horse out of the barn first, than decide how to catch up with it.

Check all the rare "environmental sources" that are mined(yes mined using diesel fueled equipment) for China to make these monstrosities called a Battery. And wonder how to dispose of the thousands of $$$$ worth of precious metals. Oh, send them into outer space, that'll do it!

Call me a very vocal naysayer that says: "Follow the example of Henry Ford, don't make cars before the roads are built where you can drive them". Heck, even Elon Musk knows he needs fossil fuels to make his Tesla, and he remembers how Henry Ford did it. Kept the horse and buggy until there were roads to drive those motorized contraptions, as they were called.

My name for an EV?  Never mind!

hckynut  🇺🇸

As I said elsewhere, the "it's all about me" attitude and "whataboutism" are killing our country and our planet. It's time to look ahead. People are innovative and brilliant, and science always takes people beyond that kind of thinking. 

A lot can happen in 10 or 20 years. There have been countless advances in technology, electronics, streaming, smart home, and science in the last 10 years. Did they all appear overnight? No. 

Texas is the only one with an isolated power grid. Texans can complain all they want but nothing will change until they stop voting for politicians who support corporate interests and greed.

The super hot temperatures are our future and it'll affect some power grid sections more than others. And problems will continue as long as people vote for politicians who refuse look beyond their bank accounts and big oil/coal donors.  

And no, I probably won't be here to see it all in place. That doesn't mean I will bash what's in the future. I care about my kids, grandkids, and future generations and hope they can live with cleaner water, land, and air than we will have if we sit back and do nothing.  

Trusted Contributor

Right now I have absolutely NO desire for an Electric car.  First of all they are NOT family vehicles.  They are all small 4 passenger vehicles.  I could not imagine traveling with small children and having to stop to charge the vehicle which must be completely more often than filling the tank.  The couples (note not families) I know with EVs must plan trips around charging stations so they are near one.  So many areas of our country are remote and don't have charging available.  The time to Charge the car is longer than filling the gas tank making travel that much more difficult.

The electic grid in my home would NOT handle charging a car overnight.  

What is rarely mentioned is that in order to get materials to build EVs more harm is done to the earth.  All of the strip mining.  What do we do with those batteries when they need to be replaced.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd love to have a hybrid or all electric car.  

It's just the beginning of the change to electric so it's not surprising there are naysayers. It's the way of the future and I'm thrilled to see carmakers using something other than gas. 

@CalminHeart 

Don't expect to be around when this all electric, or who knows, windmill powered cars hit the roads. 

Naysayers you say? Many in California with these super high $$$ EV's, are now told not to charge them at certain hours of the day! 

Seems like they would be smart enough to build an Electric Grid that can handle their present load. Nah! That would make too much sense. Let the horse out of the barn first, than decide how to catch up with it.

Check all the rare "environmental sources" that are mined(yes mined using diesel fueled equipment) for China to make these monstrosities called a Battery. And wonder how to dispose of the thousands of $$$$ worth of precious metals. Oh, send them into outer space, that'll do it!

Call me a very vocal naysayer that says: "Follow the example of Henry Ford, don't make cars before the roads are built where you can drive them". Heck, even Elon Musk knows he needs fossil fuels to make his Tesla, and he remembers how Henry Ford did it. Kept the horse and buggy until there were roads to drive those motorized contraptions, as they were called.

My name for an EV?  Never mind!

hckynut  🇺🇸

As I said elsewhere, the "it's all about me" attitude and "whataboutism" are killing our country and our planet. It's time to look ahead. People are innovative and brilliant, and science always takes people beyond that kind of thinking. 

A lot can happen in 10 or 20 years. There have been countless advances in technology, electronics, streaming, smart home, and science in the last 10 years. Did they all appear overnight? No. 

Texas is the only one with an isolated power grid. Texans can complain all they want but nothing will change until they stop voting for politicians who support corporate interests and greed.

The super hot temperatures are our future and it'll affect some power grid sections more than others. And problems will continue as long as people vote for politicians who refuse look beyond their bank accounts and big oil/coal donors.  

And no, I probably won't be here to see it all in place. That doesn't mean I will bash what's in the future. I care about my kids, grandkids, and future generations and hope they can live with cleaner water, land, and air than we will have if we sit back and do nothing.  

@CalminHeart   Some of your points are not valid.

I have yet to meet anybody who doesn't care about future generations.

Just because some posters here have concerns about EV's and battery production does not mean that they do not care about the environment.

Your assessment that EV's are the key to reducing pollution fails to  address the production of such items and that electricity does not generate all by itself.

In 2019, e.g., approx. 1/5 of SO2 reductions came from Texas.

Also in 2019 NOx was reduced by 1/4 in Ohio, Texas, and Indiana.

In 2020 Texas produced the most electricity by wind power, although it is also to note that the electricity produced by wind power only accounted for approx. 20% of electricity. 

It is unfair and lacking substance when people are accused of not caring and are all about "me".

It is very easy to pick at one state when it is obvious the stats have not been investigated; and I suspect it has more to do with disdain for such a state than anything else.

You have your opinions but you consistently fail to recognize that there is more to all of this than EV's.

What have YOU done all these decades?  Have you reduced YOUR carbon footprint?  Have you consistently refused to purchase plastic bottle, refused to eat take out (where does everyone think disposable containers etc. go?)   Besides pointing out the harm to the environment have YOU consistently kept up with innovations and stats instead of picking at just one state?

Environmental causes have swung back and forth; no paper bags, just plastic.  No plastic bags, just paper.  People forget about Love Canal e.g.

While I agree with you whole-heartedly that we need better control of the damage to the Earth, we, in the USA, cannot fix it all unless ALL couuntriesl around the world participate.

I cannot, however, take all of your posts in total because you fail to acknowledge some of the other stats/facts that have been presented to you.

We can all be flag wavers about the environment but I will take seriously only those who have been addressing the concerns for decades, and not just recently because it is the cause du jour.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

One more things abut electric cars.  They look exactly like gas driven.  The drive exactly like them too.  The only difference in appearance is that there is no tail pipe. Instead of an engine, your on a giant battery.  You can be driving down a beltway or highway and never can not  tell the difference someone is driving an electric vehicle or gas unless you're looking underneath a car..  

Super Contributor

I have been driving a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid for over 2 years now and find it to be the best of both worlds for this point in time. The car a mid size SUV that does indeed recharge it's own batteries. There are many factors that people need to realize about these type of vehichles hybrid or all electric. First the terrain you drive up hill, flat etc. matters, second how fast/aggressive you drive makes a difference and third the weather conditions, wind/rain/snow that creates resistance will all effect your gas mileage and battery useage. I am very pleased with this choice for me and look forward to the improvements that will be made in the future.

Mint

Honored Contributor

Batteries for the EV have a HUGE impact on the environment.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

In the late 1980 s my mother got suckered into buying solar power roof plates to generate the hot water heater, since we had well water,,it’s a good thing we lived in Florida because I had a lot of cold showers, she was out 4 grand , dint work then, probably don’t work well now!

@Graydoxiechick 

Not to get OT, but I live in Southern CA and for at least 5 years now I have noticed large areas of road have street lights with little solar plates on the top. 

As it gets dark, the solar power kicks in and the street lights go on.  It was a shock the first time I saw them, but not sure why.   Time marches on.   

Here in Alabama there exists solar lighting as well.   I see small solar panels everywhere, they may  power traffic cameras too. Excellent use of solar.    Lots of sunny days in Alabama, wouldn't work in Alaska.   But that's the whole point.   To force us into one source of power is not sustainable.   One of the reasons we are not a 3rd world country is our abundance of power to give us the modern lifestyle we enjoy & take for granted.    To demonize the coal & gas industry is not the way to go.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  

@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...

The world is just beginning to act. It doesn't change overnight. It takes time.

There are always people who will make political points or make money by bashing the plans to save the planet.

• Just look at the senator blocked so much this year - he owns a big coal company and money is more important to him than the future of the planet and generations to come.  

And there are always naysayers because people refuse to look ahead further than their own noses.  The "it's all about me" attitude is what's ruining our country in many ways.

Not only do you seem to refuse to see the facts but you clearly don't know what's really going on. It's compliance with the agendas (plural) that is ruining our country as well as the others that are going along with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  

@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...

The world is just beginning to act. It doesn't change overnight. It takes time.

There are always people who will make political points or make money by bashing the plans to save the planet.

• Just look at the senator blocked so much this year - he owns a big coal company and money is more important to him than the future of the planet and generations to come.  

And there are always naysayers because people refuse to look ahead further than their own noses.  The "it's all about me" attitude is what's ruining our country in many ways.

Not only do you seem to refuse to see the facts but you clearly don't know what's really going on. It's compliance with the agendas (plural) that is ruining our country as well as the others that are going along with it.

Whose agenda are you referring to here? Are you referring to political figures?

This thread seems to have taken a very political tone about specific controversial aspects of California politics very early on.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr