Respected Contributor

Re: I Don't Want An Electric Car, Do You?

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@CalminHeart  There are alternative to gas that are not EVs including hydrogen and synthetic fuel (which by the way can be used in existing gas powered cars).  Pushing EVs is politically motivated and not enough thought is going into the repercussions of EVs and not enough research is going into making the alternatives I mentioned more affordable.

No, it's not political. It's a good option to help save our planet from products the pollute land, air, water.  

@CalminHeart Disagree!  The whole world has to cooperate to help "save the planet"...do not expect that will happen...

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove   ....profoundly bigger agenda.  Thank you for your astute observation.

@Trailrun23 wrote:
All this is designed to make everyone take public transportation or ride bicycles.

@Nonametoday  Bigger agenda than public transportation and bicycles!

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@occasionalrain    I agree.  But I thought I heard on the news that there will no longer be gas powered cars by 2035.

@KatieB 

No, They will stop selling gasoline powered cars by the year 2035.

@icezeus   That's what I said wasn't it???  

@KatieB   No that is not what you said.  You said that there would be no gas powered cars by 2035.  You did not say that they would stop selling them.

@icezeus   Is correct-the gas powered vehicles will no longer be produced but those who still had them would still be able to drive them.

So it isn't that all gas cars would be gone but good luck finding gas for them, imo.

Let me correct my statement - I meant to say "NO NEW GAS POWERED CARS BY 2035".   IS THAT BETTER FOR YOU FOLKS?????  

@KatieB   I really do not give a flying fig what you meant to say.  Yelling at us in all caps was rude.

It's a conversation, nothing more, nothing less. 

Have a nice day.

@Cakers3   I hope you have a nice day with your flying figs.

Honored Contributor

@cosmic1 wrote:
I was hoping that the hydrogen powered vehicles would be more readily available. I have heard (and have not done the research, so take with a grain of salt), that producing electricity is just as bad for the environment because they use fossil fuels to make it. Once they can produce electricity with all solar, wind and water (renewable sources), I will be more hopeful that we can stop harming the environment.

@cosmic1 

Many scientists are now saying it is even worse than producing gasoline. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd love to have a hybrid or all electric car.  

It's just the beginning of the change to electric so it's not surprising there are naysayers. It's the way of the future and I'm thrilled to see carmakers using something other than gas. 

@CalminHeart 

Don't expect to be around when this all electric, or who knows, windmill powered cars hit the roads. 

Naysayers you say? Many in California with these super high $$$ EV's, are now told not to charge them at certain hours of the day! 

Seems like they would be smart enough to build an Electric Grid that can handle their present load. Nah! That would make too much sense. Let the horse out of the barn first, than decide how to catch up with it.

Check all the rare "environmental sources" that are mined(yes mined using diesel fueled equipment) for China to make these monstrosities called a Battery. And wonder how to dispose of the thousands of $$$$ worth of precious metals. Oh, send them into outer space, that'll do it!

Call me a very vocal naysayer that says: "Follow the example of Henry Ford, don't make cars before the roads are built where you can drive them". Heck, even Elon Musk knows he needs fossil fuels to make his Tesla, and he remembers how Henry Ford did it. Kept the horse and buggy until there were roads to drive those motorized contraptions, as they were called.

My name for an EV?  Never mind!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

It's just the beginning of the change to electric so it's not surprising there are naysayers. It's the way of the future and I'm thrilled to see carmakers using something other than gas. 

@CalminHeart 

Don't expect to be around when this all electric, or who knows, windmill powered cars hit the roads. 

Naysayers you say? Many in California with these super high $$$ EV's, are now told not to charge them at certain hours of the day! 

Seems like they would be smart enough to build an Electric Grid that can handle their present load. Nah! That would make too much sense. Let the horse out of the barn first, than decide how to catch up with it.

Check all the rare "environmental sources" that are mined(yes mined using diesel fueled equipment) for China to make these monstrosities called a Battery. And wonder how to dispose of the thousands of $$$$ worth of precious metals. Oh, send them into outer space, that'll do it!

Call me a very vocal naysayer that says: "Follow the example of Henry Ford, don't make cars before the roads are built where you can drive them". Heck, even Elon Musk knows he needs fossil fuels to make his Tesla, and he remembers how Henry Ford did it. Kept the horse and buggy until there were roads to drive those motorized contraptions, as they were called.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn 

BRILLIANT POST!! 👍👍👍👍

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CalminHeart 

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn 

BRILLIANT POST!! 👍👍👍👍

@Spurt , @hckynutjohn , I agree.  Very well said IMO.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CalminHeart 

hckynut  🇺🇸

AND we still have horses.

Ask any rancher in the west.

They won't give up their horse for anything, except maybe to drive into town for a night out.

We can't go all electric. 

Never 

And for the one who said it wasn't political, yes it is when the government, not the free market, is driving the change. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Admittedly I have not read all the posts, so maybe I shouldn't throw in my 2 cents worth.  

There is a lot of research going on with both battery technology and charging technology.   Things have improved so much in the past 10 years, I can't even imagine how much progress we will have made in another 10 years.  

In the meantime, not all electric cars are exhorbinantly expensive.  My 2017 Chevy Volt was $33,000.  That was not an outrageous cost for a car.  After rebates (no sales tax for me in Washington state on electric cars), I think it cost me the equivalent of a $28,000 car.  

In 5 years I have changed oil once ... my only maintenance has been tires and spark plugs.  Not bad.  The battery is guaranteed for 8 years, ... who knows, it might fail at 8 years and 1 month.  But then .... 

The Volt  is not strictly an electric car.  I can go 45 miles in winter, or 70 miles in summer on a single charge.  After that, I can drive about 350 on gasoline ... for a total of close to 400 miles.  As a hybrid, it gets about 45-55 mpg.  My gas bill is minimal.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't want to plug in either besides what is already been said what happens if too many people plug in at the same time...will it cause a power outage or worse.

On a other note I don't want driverless cars either!