Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Don't Understand Something

@Oostende wrote:

I don't know, Moonchilde.  I think you're thinking about this all wrong.  Being martyred isn't like winning the lottery.  I haven't seen anyone on this thread desire it.

It's more like being killed for who you are.  For instance, I am American.  If someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, not my wish, just the excuse used to murder me.  I'm also Native American.  Again, if someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, nor my wish to die.   I will just die for being who I am.  I hope that makes sense. 

but if lying will save your life, why wouldn't you do that instead?

Trusted Contributor

Ironic that this how all wars begin and continue to this day. You are not allowed to practice your religion unless you conform to the enemies beliefs.

The people killed in the shooting had a 50/50 chance of answering the question "correctly" to live.

Honored Contributor

I think those people all wanted to live. When it's your time it's your time and we don't have a choice how we go unless we end our own lives. Of course they wanted to live.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

I don't know, Moonchilde.  I think you're thinking about this all wrong.  Being martyred isn't like winning the lottery.  I haven't seen anyone on this thread desire it.

It's more like being killed for who you are.  For instance, I am American.  If someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, not my wish, just the excuse used to murder me.  I'm also Native American.  Again, if someone kills me for that, it is not my fault, nor my wish to die.   I will just die for being who I am.  I hope that makes sense. 

But the point isn't how *I* think of it, but how some Christians think of it.

I appreciate the honest answers of people saying "I'd like to think I'd be that brave but I don't know." But there have been comments that bordered, to me, on the eager. Think of those who depend on you before your eagerness is all I'm saying.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Bestdressed wrote:

Ironic that this how all wars begin and continue to this day. You are not allowed to practice your religion unless you conform to the enemies beliefs.

The people killed in the shooting had a 50/50 chance of answering the question "correctly" to live.

....................................................................................

What if some had answered Pagan?     Or Non religious.  

Would they live?

Most of you seem to think this is a Christian issue.   

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I think those people all wanted to live. When it's your time it's your time and we don't have a choice how we go unless we end our own lives. Of course they wanted to live.

I agree - and hindsight is all. Those people did not know what the response was the gunman wanted to hear. WE know, now, but they did not. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Because, Plaid Pants2, I've no wish to betray my most deeply held beliefs.  I've no wish to deny who I am.  Live or die, I am who I am.  In the end, that is all any of us have.

This has reminded me of a quote I like.  Kesey has a way with words.

“For there is always a sanctuary more, a door that can never be forced, a last inviolable stronghold that can never be taken, whatever the attack; your vote can be taken, you name, you innards, or even your life, but that last stonghold can only be surrendered. And to surrender it for any reason other than love is to surrender love.”
Ken Kesey, Sometimes a Great Notion

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

@Bestdressed wrote:

....................................................................................

What if some had answered Pagan?     Or Non religious.  

Would they live?

Most of you seem to think this is a Christian issue.   

The question asked .... Are you a Christian? It was not a multiple choice question.  

If they answered "yes"... The shooter then said  "Good because you are a Christian, you will see God in about one second".

Respected Contributor

Maybe some teens were Deists.      Again not all were Christian.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

But you are not dying for YOUR cause.

You are dying because some random stranger took it into his own head to do this.  It has nothing to do with religion, per se, and only one person's skewed view of the world.

Why submit to that (if you have a choice)?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.